Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Thanksgiving

If you haven't already caught on, we live in Alabama, far, far away from our family and people who say "pecan" the same way that we do. Due to this distance, we are forced to spend family holidays, such as Thanksgiving, all by our lonesome, in a place where egg custard is commonly considered a dessert. Though we miss our family something fierce, we really do have a good time with our own little family and whatever other friends that happen to also be marooned from their families.

This year we hosted Thanksgiving at our house with another family. Just some background info here: In the past when I have had to prepare Thanksgiving dinner, I have always made ham instead of turkey. Because A.) it's more yummier than turkey, B.) It is a whole lot easier to prepare than turkey, and C.) it is a whole lot harder to mess up than turkey. Cody and I are in agreement on this matter. However, we realize that when we invite another family to celebrate Thanksgiving, they might be severely disappointed to find out we won't be serving Turkey. So I was forced to make a turkey this year. First time ever. With no one to show me how.

I was really nervous about messing it up, and I read a lot of articles on the internet, talked to friends, sisters, my mom, getting all the advice I could and on Thursday morning I felt prepared. Until I pulled the bird out of the fridge and realized for the first time, I have issues with the fact that it looked like an animal. I am currently in the stage of whenever I see a baby animal it somehow reminds me of Luke. So seeing this turkey with its body parts flapping all around made me sad. I almost started to cry. That was unexpected, but Cody and I managed to laugh off how lame I was being, until I realized just how gross the whole sensation of cleaning out the inside of the bird was. I was just plain grossed out. But I handled it like I do everything that is serious- I laughed inappropriately.

After a few emergency phone calls to my mom and sister, the turkey turned out fine, as well as the rest of the dinner. We stuffed ourselves, had a good visit with our friends, and sent them on their way, feeling like we made it through our first turkey experience okay, though somewhat traumatized.

The next morning, I woke up with the bridge of my nose and corner of my right eye grotesquely swollen and infected. I looked pretty awesome, kind of like the blue monkey people on Avatar. You see, what had happened was almost overnight a cyst sprung up in the corner of my eyelid, almost in the exact same spot I had one several years ago. And thought the swelling has gone down, the cyst is still sticking out there, just so lovely. Our Christmas card will only include pictures of my kids this year, while I wait for my appointment with a plastic surgeon. Awesome.

Speaking of cysts and surgeries, remember the witch picture of Claire from Halloween and the cyst that randomly formed on her eyebrow? She had the surgery about a month ago to remove it and she now only has a little scar in her eyebrow. We recently got her lab results on what it actually was, and surprisingly, it was a tumor. A benign, cystic tumor which, I am told, is nothing to be worried about.



There you go. Probably more info than you could possible ever want to know, but I was getting a little tired of just posting pictures.

5 comments:

::lindsay said...

Glad it was a good Thanksgiving! I made my first turkey too! I felt like I'd finally been initiated into some sort of grown-ups club or something. But sticking your hand in and pulling all that stuff out of the turkey is TRAUMATIC to say the least. Ewwww!!!

Glad to see you are back posting!

tharker said...

So glad all turned out well with your first turkey. I'm with you though, preparing the bird is completely disgusting! (but totally worth it in my opinion, as i love turkey)

I laughed so hard reading that you pictured Luke when you saw the turkey. Now who's laughing innapropriately? ;)

So happy that Claire's cyst turned out to be benign (which by the way, why is benign spelled so wonky?)

And lastly, I am loving your new header! You do such fabulous work!

tharker said...

One more thing. I have yet to make a turkey that turns out right. I've done it twice now, and both times when it was "done" cooking, it was still raw in parts. Both times, we had to cut off the breast meat to eat and throw the rest of the carcus back into the oven. So, in short...you rock!

Shells said...

Love the picture of Claire. Very beautiful (missing tooth and all).

libby said...

I too am loving your new header. so cute. but do you know what I love even more? you. you make me laugh. I think I will think of Luke every time I prepare a turkey. :)