Saturday, September 12, 2009

Productivity

I don't know if you have noticed, but i have been crazy reading this year. Especially since I moved here to Virginia. I always read more when I am pregnant, because I am tired and need more rest, which equals reading books until I start narrating my actions in my head in the same tone as the book. But this time it has been an obsession. I would say it is more of an addiction. I felt like I couldn't function if I didn't have a book to read. I was addicted to the library, to goodreads, to falling asleep to a chapter and waking in the night with the story still on my mind. I kind of felt like I was in a literary haze.

32 books so far this year.

I decided to take a bit of a break, to slow down with reading and start working on some of the other goals I had made for myself this year. So for the last three weeks, since I returned from my vacation, I have stayed away from the library. During my new free time, I made a quilt for the little baby blue that we are expecting, and I made a tooth fairy pillow for Claire.


Tooth Fairy Pillow: I wanted to try this flower pattern my mom gave me, which I tweaked a little because I apparently don't like to make things exactly like other people do. I also wanted to try the pin-tuck technique. I loved the way it turned out.


(And Laurie, a tooth fairy pillow has a little slot in the back to put the tooth, so it doesn't get lost and the tooth fairy knows exactly where to find it and where to deposit some coinage.)



And here is the quilt I made for baby boy. I really like the way it turned out, with the blanket-stitched stars and border, and the blue ticking fabric on the back. Does it look familiar? I totally knocked it off from Pottery Barn Kids, but added some of my own design. Oh yeah, and I tried quilting it myself- I must stop doing that. I am no good at it. Next time I am sending it to my mom to quilt. She is amazing.

17 comments:

Gina said...

Really funny kidergarden story! That will go down in history for sure! You are so talented Brooke! That pillow and blanket are so cute! Way to spend your book break!

tharker said...

32 books! I'm impressed.

But I'm even more impressed by your cute quilt and Tooth Fairy Pillow. I love the quilt! It is perfect for a little boy. And the fabric and flower for the pillow are adorable!

J-Leav said...

I KNEW those goodreads email updates I got from you were unsubstainable! I've been beating myself up for months..."If only I could read like Brooke!" Well, now that that is over...I've got to deal with a new batch of envy over your domestic perfection!

libby said...

I love the quilt! And, the tooth fairy pillow is so cute! Where di you get the idea?

libby said...

...apparently I can't type...
I meant "where DID you get the idea?"

mm-kay.

Amy said...

i want to see the blanket in person. it looks darling!

Kelsey said...

The tooth fairy pillow is just down right adorable!!! The blanket is so chic too! So much talent Brooke! I'm impressed. yes you have been a reading machine.

melanie said...

I love the little pillow! I have been very into fabric flowers lately too. By very into, I've obtained probably 10 different patterns (including one just like on your pillow) and have made exacty zero fabric flowers. Put I have plans, oh I have plans....

Shells said...

I love both the blanket and the pillow. They are adorable. I need to find something to incoporate the flower, and make it.

Monica said...

I love the flower pattern, but I haven't been able to figure out what to use it for. Now I am totally going to copy you. Thanks for the idea.

I love the pillow and the blanket, and I can't wait to see what other fun project fill your time.

Carrie said...

Oh, I love that pillow. It's beautiful, Brooke!

Linda said...

You are so talented! I love the toothfairy pillow and the blanket. Your kids are so lucky to have such a crafty mom.

Bethany said...

I wish I was a seamstress because everything turns out so cute. I also wish I was a reader. Both of these things take patients, which you must have a lot of. Anyways, I love your creations and congrats on the baby boy! I didn't know you were having a boy. that is exciting.

JoDell said...

Very cute! That pillow is too cute! And, of course you have to tweak the patterns...it's not like sewing the original is already hard enough. (Well, it is for me!) You're so talented!

Elise said...

I'm seriously in love with that quilt! Of course I would've just bought the pottery barn one but with your crafty skills I have no doubt you're version is much better.

Jana said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you made. And you know that I want both. :) Lucky for you we live so far apart now so the constant begging won't be so bad. :) Great job.

Laurie said...

Brooke, You were always creative. I love the flower bows. I see them everywhere. Your tooth fairy pillow turned out so cute.