Thursday, September 17, 2009

Layers

So I have to go back to this picture, once again. It is evidence that I am, in fact, a bit of a space cadet. No, I am not rehashing the whole I showed up for school a day early debacle. This is something different, that maybe you noticed and were to polite to say anything.

Let me start at the kids doctor's appointment two days ago. I will spare you the details, but it was one of those times when things were so bad that I actually had to step out of the dr.'s office into the hallway to avoid a complete meltdown. Because I was on the verge. I was holding back tears. I was wondering what I was doing being a grown up (in case I am worrying anyone, I was upset because the kiddos were behaving bad, and the drs office was taking forever). So after I had calmed down, and right before I had to pin a screaming and flailing Claire in my arms to give her shots, I was sitting there looking at Claire when I noticed it. Her hair. It look different on one side, like it had been cut. It had been cut. The little stinker, for like the fifth time in her life, cut her hair. But when?

Last week my friend, Amy, asked if Claire had gotten a hair cut. I told her, "no, its just her bangs that are growing out" and just brushed it aside. So while I was sitting there in the doctors office, starting to fume that she once again cut her bangs that were almost long enough to go in a pony tail, I remembered this conversation and realized Claire had been walking around this way, with one side of her hair a good two inches shorter than the other side for over a week and I hadn't noticed. I looked back at her school pictures, taken over a week ago, and sure enough, her hair is butchered. When did this happen??? How did I not notice?? And more importantly, why have I not fixed it yet? Some things we will never know.

6 comments:

::lindsay said...

I love it! I love it all! So something that would happen over here.

JoDell said...

Ah, that's funny! Five times? Seriously? She's creative. :) And, about the drs. office, been there way too many times! Why do people think it's a good idea to give children shots? With all the medical breakthroughs over the past 100 years, you'd think some would come up with a more kid friendly formula for vaccines.

tharker said...

Cut number 5 huh? Maybe one day, she'll put all this cutting to good use and be a world famous hair stylist to the stars....or maybe not, but something good has to come out of all of these self inflicted haircuts right?

Heather said...

Wow, I didn't notice it either. So I guess I in the same parent class as you. Yikes.

Elise said...

I honestly think she is destined to be a hair stylist one day.

Michele said...

Brook I think we all have those moments (well maybe not the five times cutting hair thing) when we ask ourselves those questions. Claire reminds me of a horse that can't be broken...they are the fastest and the best!