Wednesday, September 09, 2009

First day of Kindergarten


Ah, the first day of kindergarten. So much anticipation, so much excitement, so many photo ops. The night before, we were trying to hype Claire up on being excited about kindergarten. We had a little ceremony as we packed her lunch box. We carefully went through the list of school supplies and loaded them into her backpack. We set out her clothes. She went to bed with visions of sharpened pencils dancing in her head.

The next morning was a bit more chaotic than we had planned. First off, my alarm didn't go off, so I slept in, but we still had time to get ready. We step outside and it is pouring buckets. The streets were flooded. But we made it on time. Plenty of time. We arrived a day early.

Apparently I didn't pay too much attention to the actual date of the first day of school. So I and about 7 other parents had to take home our disappointed kids, who we had previously hyped up for this big moment. Big let down. Oops.



So today was really Claire's first day of school. Thankfully when we arrived, there was a parking lot full of cars and a classroom full of Claire's future friends. I am so glad to be back on a schedule. It is going to be a great year!

14 comments:

tharker said...

Well, I guess it's better to be a day early than a day late ;) That is hilarious!

Good thing Claire requested that umbrella for her birthday, it looks like it will come in quite handy!

Happy 1st day of school, Claire! We love you!!

Shells said...

I'm laughing so hard that tears are flowing down the side of my face. I don't know why I find this so funny, but I just can't stop laughing. Maybe because I think it is so You, so Brooke.

Where's a tissue?

Amy said...

Oh how we will never forget the first dayS of Kindergarten.
I was so glad when you pulled in the parking lot and I realized I wasn't the only lame brain mom who messed up.

tharker said...

I forgot to mention how much I love that Morgan snuck into the picture while crying ;) I love your girls!

Cara said...

That is pretty darn funny. :)

Claire makes such an adorable Kindergartener. I'm sure her teacher will just fall in love with that ball of fire. :)

Laurie said...

Cute pictures. I especially love Morgan in the corner of the first picture.

Bethany said...

Just think of it this way, it was a fire drill! That was really funny though, I can totally picture the whole ordeal.
What I think is funny is she is wearing shorts with an umbrella. It's just funny to me because I live here though. Don't see that too much

Michele said...

OK...thanks for sharing it really makes me feel better about myself...lets just say in the past I may have done something similar. Clair will have so much fun and her teacher will love her to pieces!!

Carrie said...

Oh, that's too funny! She's going to have a blast in kindergarten, and she looks so grown up!

J-Leav said...

So crazy that you're sending your first child off to school! I feel like I was just at your baby shower and you were telling me you were thinking of the name Claire...

Kelsey said...

Oh how funny is that! Yeah it is better than a day late. :) Hope she wasn't too dissapointed. I'm sure she was super ready the next day.

Liz said...

Ha ha haaaa! That's so awesome. So, the top picture is the day before school starts or did you take pictures again the next day? Either way, Morgan doesn't look too excited about having her sister take off for school! :P

Libby said...

that is pretty funny. good story to tell down the road. i can't believe she is old enough to be going to kidergarten!

Jana said...

That is awesome. I can't stop laughing!!!