Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lieutenant Saxy Man

I know exactly the kind of kid Cody was when he was in high school (second post in a row that started, "I know". Either I am really smart or I am full of it). He still has some of the traits from back in those days; he loves the outdoors; he is fascinated with history, and he still thinks the ICUP joke is funny. He was a bit of a jock, most likely cocky, as all high school jocks tend to be. He didn't take school very seriously. He never did homework, he didn't care about his grades, and his dad was worried that Cody was even going to graduate from high school. And judging by the longer hair he had, which required him to swish his head to the side, while combing his fingers through his bangs, he must have been quite the ladies man.

I think you get the picture. Flash forward over a dozen years later and you will find a different kid, who no longer swishes his hair, and now takes school a little more seriously. In May, Cody graduated from dental school, after years and years and years of working hard, studying, and sacrificing to get to this point. Cody's parents were able to come to Pittsburgh for the graduation ceremony and for me, and hopefully for Cody, it was really great to see him graduate.

[sidenote: we got stuck in an elevator from the eighteenth century right before the ceremony. It was hot, small, crowded, and I was convinced it was going to snap and plummet eight floors to our death. I really did. I was a little panicky in my head, trying to hold back tears and remain calm in front of my in-laws (I am real smooth in emergencies)].

[Second side note: (this is for Rachel W.) The dental school shared its graduation ceremony with the dental hygiene program. Most of these girls are two years out of high school and have a slightly different perspective on life. One of the girls who spoke at the ceremony actually commented on the different hairstyles the girls have had over the last two years, dating and breaking up, and my personal favorite, their hormones cycles becoming in sync.]

[Third side note: Upon graduation from dental school, Cody became Dr. Cody Nelson, DMD. I, of course, must reference the scene from Spies Like Us ("Doctor." "Doctor." "Doctor." "Doctor." "Doctor." "Doctor.") and he was also commissioned a Lieutenant in the United States Navy. You know what quote I am going to use here . . .("Lieutenant saxy man.")]

I am so proud of Cody. I have watched for eight years as he worked hard, struggled through late nights of homework, taking tests, getting up early to study-- all this from a kid who still does not like school. But he was determined to make it through, and he did. Well done, Cody. Well done.

(Fourth side note: If you are wondering what changed the slacker known as Cody in high school, he attributes it to serving his mission. He says it taught him how to study and it helped him believe in his potential).

And let's face it, not everything has changed. He still is a ladies man- he is surrounded by three girls that love him to pieces.

(Photography by Elisabeth)

14 comments:

Laurie said...

Congratulations to Cody! The first part of your post described both my and Tara's husbands exactly 13 years ago. Missions can do amazing things!! How else could they deserve girls like us, Brooke?

Heather said...

Wow, I'd like to see a picture of the "swooshy hair". For real.

Great job Cody!

Carrie said...

I heard the "Doctor, doctor, doctor..." joke a few times from Brian just after he graduated. I'm glad you think like we do.

Tell Cody congratulations from us. You guys did it, and you're moving on! Yea!

When are you coming to the Tri-Cities? Are you coming up for the reunion? (Is anyone going to that, anyway?)

Radene said...

Great post and great picture of you two!

Michele said...

I agree with Radene...that is a great picture of the two of you...congratulations on your shared victory of finishing school because lets face it how would they do it without us?

Rachel said...

yea. doesn't it feel so good. I am glad you too got to enjoy the world through the eyes of the Hygiene grads. :) I just thought it didn't seem quite right to listen to them talk about random stuff during a doctorate graduation ceremony. I love the picture of you two. you look great. I'd like to be able to see the family picture bigger. can you do that for me? can't wait to see you soon. are you going to UT at all this summer?

Rachel said...

oh and what is that book you're reading. romance or children's fiction? or both ??

tharker said...

Lutellan! Lutellan! (I love that you quoted South Pacific!!!)

1. Congratulations to Cody!!!

2. When did Cody get glasses?

3. I am LOVING your new family picture and REALLY loving the one of you and Cody!

4. I thouroughly enjoyed all of the sidenotes.

Shells said...

Congratulations Cody!

Jana said...

That was a great post Brooke. And congrats to the Code-Man. (Is that how you spell it on your phone?) :) We miss you guys BAD! I met a girl that bites her nails and I of course told her all about you and how you overcame that habit. . . but saved yourself one nail for your weakness. :)

Jessica said...

First of all, LOVE the picture. You are all so beautiful! Congrats to Cody, and to you Brooke, for being such a wife to pull your husband through med school. Miss you guys!

Jessica said...

Oh, and when you are sick of those earings, send them my way please.

Bethany said...

You are such a good writer. It makes me think and to better myself at writing. He is lucky to have met you and I bet you had a little something to do with how he turned out to be such a good dad. I wish you lived closer, or I lived closer. I would love to meet up with you again someday.

Bethany said...

Oh yeah and congratulations on all your husbands accomplishments. Hard work always pays off in the end.