Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Little Golden Nugget


We sold our Mazda. This in and of itself isn't really post worthy, but I have a tendency of landmark-ing my life with the things I own. So it wasn't just a car to me, it was a time-line that starts the day after I broke up with Lance Barker. I got a new car (and a sweet sense of freedom). It was two days before I graduated from college. I was so excited to finally have a car- I had gone two years at college without one and I was pretty stoked to finally be able to go where I wanted to, when I wanted to without walking! I was so excited, my roommates and I drove up to campus, blasted our music and danced around (this memory isn't embarrassing, because there is a certain kind of pure excitement you feel as a college student that is not restricted by notions of dignity, and that is what makes it so much fun).

I drove this car everyday to my first job after college, as a high school teacher, teaching random subjects, like Work Skills, and Drama. I met, was courted by, and wedded Cody while I had this car. We brought Claire home from the hospital in my little Mazda; we brought Morgan home in my little Mazda. We drove across the country in my little Mazda. And it eventually brought us to our home here in Virginia. But that is where the story ends with my little Mazda. We sold it to another woman, expecting her first child, ready to start her own timeline with that trusty little golden nugget.

It was a good car, having the decency to never break down on us. I would have liked to keep it for another 100,000 miles, but it just won't fit our growing family. We purchased a mini-van, which I wasn't terribly excited about in the first place, but after driving it around for a while, I am really likin' it. It is a good purchase though, because we need enough room to fit both our little girls and our little boy.

November will be the first major notch in our timeline with our new mini-van.

26 comments:

::lindsay said...

Welcome to the mini van club!

Jana said...

Congrats again on the little boy. I am so happy for you guys. And yeah about the van. You sill soon start to wonder how you ever fit all your stuff in just a regular car.

BusyMama said...

Yay for a boy!! And for the van. I'm glad you're embracing it. :)

Jessica said...

congrats on the baby boy. i would say the same thing about the van, but i'm unsure if congratulations are in order for that. although, if you like it i suppose that is what matters! -- jessica

emily and Nate said...

hope your loving virginia, time seems to go by so fast it's fun to reminisce about the different chapters of life, sounds like your family is on to a new great adventure, little boys are the best!

tharker said...

While I'm excited that you have now joined the mini-van brigade, I too am a bit sad that the little golden Mazda is no longer part of the Nelson clan. (we need pictures of the new van, by the way ;)

And the boy....I really could not be happier for you guys! I cannot wait to meet this sweet new little nephew!

Cara said...

Congrats on the boy! How exciting! Minivans are great, I must admit. It's so nice to have plenty of room.

J-Leav said...

Little Boy?!?! I had no idea you were pregnant. HUGE congratulations, brooke! (For the baby, not the minivan, but I suppose a minivan is deserving of congratulation as well...it's so mature)

Liz said...

I'm with J-Leav . . . I had no idea you were pregnant! CONGRATULATIONS! We LOVE little boys and know you will too. :0)

I used to hate minivans, too. I always swore I would be the cool mom driving an SUV. Now I know just how impractical that is with today's soaring gas prices! Why do we have to grow up and be practical and reasonable?! At any rate, I'm not only resigned to a minivan, I'm looking forward to it. They've come a long way since we were in college. :0)

Wendi said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had no clue that you were pregnant! Congratulations! Little boys are super fun... crazy at times, but fun.

Kelsey said...

Congrats on the pregnancy Brooke! A boy will be completly spoiled by his big sisters.

Laurie said...

1. What a nonchalant way to inform many of us that a) you are pregnant and b) It's a boy! So exciting and congratulations.
2. Yea for the minivan. We bought one just over a year ago (three car seats did not fit in my CRV) and I LOVE IT. I am a Honda fan.
3. What if your name would have been Harker Barker? Seriously, was that a factor in the breakup?

Shells said...

I'm crying over the passing of your mazda. I had similar memories with her twin sister, my little mazda (except that when I received my mazda, I didn't go out with roomates, but took Mom & Dad for a drive--HUGE mistake). And speaking of crying, I remember that you cried when Dad told you that he purchased us "gold" cars. Congratulations on having a boy. I'm excited to see if he'll look like a little Cody.

Shells said...

Not only would it have been Harker Barker, but we would have been too confused with a Lance Harker and Lance Barker.

libby said...

I'm so excited for you!! YAY!! Little boys are the bestest, bestest, bestest (I mean, besides little girls, ya know). As for your sentimentality, we're in the same boat there. I love it. :)

Linda said...

Congrats on the little boy, and getting a mini-van! I'm glad I'm not the only one out of the loop. Have fun with the van and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Libby said...

i shed a tear for this one. now on to bigger and better things :).

Carrie said...

Did I miss something in your latest posts, or did you just throw that at us? Holy cow, congratulations! November is a wonderful time to have a baby, I've found, and little boys are so much fun.

Michele said...

I miss my van...we scaled down when we moved to PA. You will love it! Cory hated driving the van, I hope Cody doesn't feel that way. Congratulations on the sweet baby boy...you will love the contrast...less drama and more energy (well that might not be true)
Good luck!

JoDell said...

I'm yet another one who had no idea you're pregnant...congrats! You'll love having a boy!

We're currently looking for a minivan, too. I'm sure it will be a whole new driving experience. Hope you'll love the van as much as you did your trusty mazda.

Rachel said...

Oh, I remember the day you got that car, Brooke Harker Barker!! And congratulations on the pregnancy!

Heather said...

forget the van... a boy? that came out of left field. congrats!

Kimo said...

Congratulations on expecting a little boy! Oh, how your family is growing;).

Elise said...

I'm so excited you're having a little boy! And how nice to upgrade to a mini van. Do they make gun racks for mini vans?

Jessica said...

yeah! congrats! but honestly, it is getting more difficult every time to tell pete people are still having boys in this world! :) we are so excited for you guys. sad we live so far away...

Rachel said...

A LITTLE BOY!!! yeah, I am so happy for you guys. 3 kids. what exciting news to just throw in at the end of a post about cars :) I am totally jealous you get a van. Daniel is still not "on board" I guess I'll have to get pregnant again.