Monday, May 04, 2009

Any Better Than That

Last week I said goodbye to a good friend, the first of many good friends that I am going to have to say goodbye to in the next three weeks. And they are a great group of friends. So much of what I have loved about living here are the people I have met and who I have forced to be my friends. We are quite the diverse group. One, a former granola wanna-be who actually tried to make. . .get? form?. . what do you call the process of obtaining dread locks? One, who was voted best dressed in high school. One, who once threw all her ex-boyfriends stuff off the balcony. One, who, simply because she thought it looked good, tasted a bar of soap. One, who toted around her American Doll whilst wearing her matching AG dress. One, who claimed for a period of several months in college that she was from Boston, when really she was from exotic Idaho Falls. One, who once worked at Abercrombie and Fitch because she is a size 0. One, who worked at McD's, and ate a hot fudge sundae and a cheeseburger everyday. . . and was much bigger than a size 0. One, who was Utah's Junior Miss. And one, who set fire to an elementary school when she was little (no, I made that up, though I do know someone who did that). I will miss my friends deeply; I will mostly miss the laughter (especially about the eating of the soap).


(Crepe night, our last night together before Jana left. Please ignore my giraffe-esque neck, my not-done hair, and my crappy outfit. It was just one of those days, so back off! But the crepes were delighful.)

I have two more Sundays in our ward. I can't really fathom what it is going to be like to not go there anymore and see the familiar faces, the families and their unassigned-assigned seating. I am still trying to get use to the feeling of primary not being constantly in my thoughts. I served in primary the entire time I have been here and I have loved it. I will miss the primary kids, who like to say whatever rolls across their tongue at any time, to the chagrin of their parents, but much to my delight.

Our house. It is small, it smells like your grandma's house, has a random toilet in the basement, and it doesn't believe in the value of closet space, but it has been our first house. Though Cody may not agree completely with me, I have loved it for all that it has been. I know the house pretty well. I know how to do a dance on the floor upstairs so as to not wake up Morgan by avoiding on the creaky parts. I know I can hear my kids in any part of the house at any time of the day. I know that I can also hear the neighbors cursing in the street at four in the morning (it's happened occasionally). I know where Claire pooped on the carpet right before Morgan was born (I never blogged about it because it was too traumatic!) I know where the best places to hide are when we play turkey hide-n-go seek. I know how peaceful our yard is during a summer evening. I know I will miss our house. It has been a place of many firsts for us and holds memories that I will always look back on with happiness. And having said that, I am SOOO excited to sell it!



In the movie, McLintock, John Wayne, a wealthy cattle baron, is explaining to his daughter why he isn't going to leave her much of what he owns. It pretty much sums up the way I feel about our home, and life here in PA, minus the cow spread:
What I'm going to give you is a 500 cow spread on the Upper Green River. Now that may not seem like much, but it's more than we had, your mother and I. Some folks are gonna say I'm doin' all this so I can sit up in the hereafter and look down on a park named after me, or that I was disappointed in you - didn't want you to get all that money. But the real reason, Becky, is because I love you, and I want you and some young man to have what I had, because all the gold in the United States Treasury and all the harp music in heaven can't equal what happens between a man and a woman with all that growin' together. I can't explain it any better than that.

We may not have had a lot of worldly wealth, and we may not have had a garage (or dishwasher, or air conditioning) , but we have had so much more together here, as a family.

And it only makes us that much more excited to move into a home that actually has air conditioning (I am almost shedding a tear at that thought).

19 comments:

PRP said...

I love the way you write. This was lovely.

Gina said...

Awe. That post made me laugh and cry all at once. I will miss you too! In the mean time, where are you!? We have got to get together asap!

Cara said...

Good luck with the move. I hope the a/c is all you have dreamed it to be (it will be.) :)

libby said...

STOP IT!! I can't take it. I simply cannot take another word.

emily and Nate said...

have fun on your next adventure! I gotta know which one ate soap...

Rachel said...

It is so hard to move isn't it? It's hard to say goodbye to friends who have become your family. But, it all starts again in your new town. And thank heaven for facebook and blogging, right?!!!

Heather said...

So is the house sold? Did you find a new one? New starts are scary, but you'll be fine.

Bethany said...

Isn't it funny how you move into a home/place and at first your very pesimistic about it. You can't even believe this is where you are living. But as time passes, you learn to appreciate! I'm sorry you have to move from your comfort of friends. I know I will have to soon but I'm trying not to think about it yet. The good thing is, where ever you go, someone is going to need a brooke. Don't forget that. If all else fails and people are mean to you...you still have that ulu right?

tharker said...

I love that you quoted McClintock! (love that movie!!!)

I've been so happy for you over these last few years that you have had such a wonderful place to call home and great people surrounding you.

Radene said...

Brooke, you'll be missed. It was fun to try and guess what each of those things you said belonged to who in the picture. Hope you guys had a great time on crepe night and that your move goes smoothly!

Rachel said...

well said, john wayne.. and Brooke. I miss PGH too. for all the friends and the growing. It is a wonderful place. I have yet to meet such fun girls as all the girls "from" PGH. So, I guess after 2 years, I have downgraded. we have no AC but we do live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. and our washer and dryer are next to each other. (in PGH they were about 20 feet apart) seperated by the gauntlet of house centipedes.

Shells said...

Loved the John Wayne quote. I'm glad you have such a good group of friends, although as your sister, I'm always a teensy bit jealous of the fun things you do without me. :)

5dollarFanatic said...

Don't you just love John Wayne??? I swear we were raised on his movies. Anyway-happy moving and happy selling!!

Liz said...

Huh. I know someone who lit an elementary school playground on fire. Are we talkin' about the same person, here? :0)

Good luck with your move and the sale of your house! Starting over is dreadful and exciting, all wrapped up into a nice little package of stress and anxiety. :0)

I wish for you . . . peace.

Libby said...

ok i read it! and now i am crying! i have no idea what i am going to do without you guys! life is about to get pretty lame.

JoDell said...

Okay, that's gonna make ME cry! (And I left Pittsburgh back in August!) Seriously, there is nothing like going through the grad. school experience with such great friends, (especially Pittsburgh 5th Ward). You'll miss it (I still do sometimes!), but you'll also love the new experiences ahead. I'm excited for you and your family.

And this may seem kind of random, but, the other day, I was thinking about how you didn't have a/c in your house...don't know why! You'll definitley not miss that! I loved the post. (Like always!)

Jana said...

I about died laughing reading about all of us. Who was junior miss? I am guessing Gina. And I hope one day you feel the need to eat soap so you can see what I had to go through. and it was just a nibble!!!! :) I miss you BAD! And truthgfully, not a day goes by that I don't think about you. Believe me.

Elise said...

Brooke, you just can't leave. Really I'm not going to allow it! This is too much for me to handle!!!

Anonymous said...

so I'm a little late reading posts. this one was hilarious. Funny that is your memory about me- I know it's a little strange! I have to know who else did whatever. I couldn't figure them all out.

I miss you!!
Debi