Thursday, April 23, 2009

What My Mother Doesn't Know

With a title like that you would think I have some juicy confession, but no. I am way to boring for anything like that. What my mother doesn't know is that she has started an epidemic over here in our little corner of PA. A birdie sling epidemic.

I am quite sure when she sent me the purse pattern, she had no idea that it would spread, multiply and and replenish the earth so fast. It has been just over six weeks since I stitched the last little button on my bag, and today I can count eleven birdie slings made since then, and three more under construction, and several more in the planning stages. We are talking epidemic proportions!

I am thinking Amy Butler (the designer of the bag) should send my mom some commission, for helping spread the birdie sling infection!

Here are just five of the slings. It is really fun for me to see the different fabrics and colors that everyone is coming up with. It really is the best kind of epidemic to have!
For funsies, let take a running total of these girl's sling production:
Me, I have made two, one as a gift
Elise, has made three, with two more cut out (she is slightly crazy)
Gina, has made two, and someone who saw her bag is paying her $75 to make one for them,
Melanie, has made one and is making another
Amy, to my knowledge, this is her only one (so far)
and several other s not pictured have made and are making some.

10 comments:

PRP said...

First of all, they are adorable and I want one. This might just be the project the puts me over the edge and actually makes me learn to sew!!!

Second, I'm completely horked that you have read twice as many books as me this year. I need to get. to. it.

Three, your girls night out looks like fun and now has me itching to have one of my own. So happy my hubby will be busy with tennis all weekend long.

Fourth, my feet are freezing. Just thought I'd mention it.

tharker said...

1. I love it when Karen says horked!

2. Shell sent me the pattern...I really think I need to break out the sewing machine again and make one!

3. You are all hot mamas! And your birdie slingies make you even hotter!!!

Amy said...

Thank you Brooke's mom! We love our slings! Aren't we so cute sportin' our bags. I love them. Man I'm going to miss you guys and all your creative ferver. But...it's kinda good that we're all going our seperate ways, can you see us all at church? So funny!

Heather said...

Viva la birdie sling!

janae said...

hello again. This is Cara's little sister who blalks (blog stalks) you. Um, so I think the purse is super cute and I, um, want one. So I'm wondering how hard it would be to send me (or Cara!) the pattern ...

BusyMama said...

Holy cow, I'd make one for $75! Way to go, Gina! With the different fabrics, they really don't look the same bag. They sure are cute!

JoDell said...

Super cute! I just have to laugh! Thank heavens for girl friends who have good fashion sense (and for a mom who supplies sewing patterns!). I love all you Pittsburgh girls! It's so fun to see all of you together. Way to go, Brooke, starting a trend. It's not the first time, though, and I'm sure it won't be the last!

Elise said...

It is quite the epidemic! Now that you are all moving you can spread the birdie sling epidemic all over the country! Oh and I blame my craziness on pregnancy. I'm hoping my sanity returns soon.

melanie said...

This cracks me up! I'm so glad that to be part of this craze. Tell your mom thanks!

Liz said...

I'm jealous. I wish I could sew.