Monday, January 26, 2009

Sick days

My friend Gina asked me if it was a bummer to have a birthday in January. She has a little one who's birthday falls in this so-sick-of-the-mess-of-toys-we-have-piled-in-our-house-from-the-holidays time after Christmas known as January. No, I have never thought it was a bummer in any way. In fact, I started to brainstorm while I was sitting with her, giving her a much more in-depth answer than she possibly could have wanted. January is the perfect time for a birthday. It's there to buoy you up in that whirlwind of depression and bust that seems to follow you after Christmas. And in most places (well, in all the places I have lived) it is cold, dark and snowy in January. It's a month that needs a little more excitement that what Martin Luther King Jr. Day has to offer (because what decorations do you put up for that?). So it is a perfect time for a celebration that is entirely focused on me. I am not being selfish; that is just the nature of birthdays--it's all about me.

I am ready for my birthday. Some years I try not to mention it before my actual birthday, to see if people remember (I know, a little drama-queenish, but that how I ride), but this year I brought it to every one's attention early. Did you know it's my birthday this week? Yep, I am just spreading the word.

This is because not only have I had to deal with the post-Christmas deflation, the dark and negative-temperatured January, I have also been dealing with sick kids, for two straight weeks. I have been stuck home with kids who don't even have the courtesy to get sick at the same time. They had to overlap by a day, thus keeping us all home a little longer! So Claire stayed home from school, I stayed home from the gym (my social outings of the week), and Morgan stayed home from her job as the Michelin Man double, and I didn't hang out with anyone except my two sicko kids (I know I don't sound compassionate, but you may remember, my birthday is coming up and I reserve the right to be selfish, starting now). And all of this seclusion from my normally scheduled activities left me in a bit of a zombie state. The first time I stumbled across a friend after my long exile, all I could manage to say was, 'awwwwaahhhh'. (that is zombie talk if that isn't obvious enough for everyone).

And. . . I know you are a little bored to find out what more I could possibly say about me and my birthday. . . (I will spare you the list of famous people who share my birthday). . . Just know there is always more that can be said-- about me, by me. This particular birthday is my Golden Birthday!! What does that mean? Nothing. It just means I am turning 28 on the 28th. So I am just going to use it as an excuse to celebrate hard and shake off the January bust, cold, sick, cloudy days. And what does celebrate hard mean? . . . Yeah, I honestly don't know. I have been brainstorming with my friends and the most exciting thing us Mormon married s can think of is to go karaoking. That's really hard core. My vote is to play board games. Shield your eyes if this is too intense for ya'll. Any suggestions would be welcome. . .

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha - I know, we are not the most exciting bunch, but that's okay! Excitement is overrated. But line dancing is not :) J/k

Bummer about your sick kids, I go nuts after one day stuck in the house!

Monica said...

When I first started reading this, I thought it might contain an "Ode to Elijah Wood", but no. Hope your girls get better, hope you don't end up sick on your birthday (that stinks), and I hope you have a stinkin fantastic b-day playing your favorite board game and eating a most delicious cake.

Linda said...

Sounds like you guys are trying really hard to plan a 'Mormons Gone Wild' B-day Bash:) To bad you have sick kiddos. It'd be fun for all the girls to have lunch do a pedicure/manicure afterwards, dinner, and add some board games somewhere. I'm sure you'll come up with something more exciting though. So have a Happy-Happy Birthday!

libby said...

I like the pedi/mani/dinner idea... but how could that possibly be as exciting as a mechanical bull?? Honestly, we're the coolest. :) I could go for a board game or two, especially if we don't have to compete against each other, and we can all just be on one big, giant, collaborative, loving team! whadayathink?

tharker said...

My first thought was, "Crap! I miss Brooke's birthday again!!" Thank you for sparing me from committing that faux paux for the second year in a row ;)

You're right. It's your birthday, and it's all about you. Good for you!!

Sorry you've had sickies at your house. That's never fun.

(I don't know why my profile picture isn't showing up...but I don't have time to fix it...maybe another day.)

Gina said...

Thanks for the expanded explaination of January b-days! I am excited about this one too! I am so down with a nicer dinner and boardgames! Let's be honest, that is pretty intense for us! And I totally agree with Mel that "excitement is overrated"! It would be so anti-climactic to do some of the things we have been talking about.

::lindsay said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!

I say do what you want to do, because it's your birthday. I had a golden birthday myself this last year and it's great!

Sorry about the sick kids. Apparently they didn't get the memo it's mommy's golden birthday.

Wendi said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow! I hope that everything goes wonderfully!

Libby said...

it's your birthday this week? :). i am totally excited! will you please do my blog header? yours is so cute. i love it!

Elise said...

Well I certainly have to agree with you about the January Birthday thing. Its always given me something to look forward to after Christmas and during those cold winter months. Not to mention the excuse to buy what you really wanted for Christmas. Well I'm super excited for our crazy birthday bash! I can't think of anything more riveting than an intense board game!
Happy 28!!

tharker said...

Did you make this header? Is it wrong for me to ask you (on your birthday no less ;) to make me one??? (obviously not exactly like yours) Seriously...I'm not kidding. This is one of the cutest headers ever!

PRP said...

Ok, I'm glad that I'm not the only troll who isn't immediately wishing you a happy birthday because all I really want is to ask you to make me a header!!! (Thanks Tiffani!) But seriously, happy birthday. I hope it's fantastic and that you get a break from the sickies.

Now will you make me a header???

Carrie said...

Brooke, I wanted to get online all day yesterday to wish you a happy birthday, but I didn't get a chance. Happy birthday! Hope you had a great time yesterday!

Jessica said...

Can I be in on this header club too? You may want to start charging for this...hope you guys are feeling better today!

Brooklet said...

thanks for the birthday wishes- I really had a great day.

I would love to make headers for anyone who wants one. email me what you want in your header, what ideas you like, what you want it to say, and any inspirations you have. brojonel(at)hotmail(dot)com

I am an amateur, it may take me some time, but I think its a fun outlet for my creative side.

Jana said...

Hey, with a group of Mormons, there isn't too much we can offer. Maybe someone can bring some caffeinated beverages. :) That ought to spice things up!! :) Happy birthday grandma.

Jana said...

ALSO, LOVE LOVE LOVE your new blog header. You are good.