Sunday, September 21, 2008

Quite the Introduction

So I have been out and about trying to meet the new people. And yes, honestly, I did talk about labor and delivery, boobs, boobs after nursing, and I might have even briefly mentioned Harriet. But nonetheless, I was talking to new people. You would be proud. The anxiety is easing, people are relaxing and getting more familiar, and I have even felt so comfortable around a few of people as to show the grouchy side of me (hey, I was hungry and stressed, that equals grouchy!).

But no matter how well (or not well) I am at introductions, Claire always, ALWAYS manages to outdo me in this department. Claire makes quite the impression.

For instance, last week we had a new babysitter come over to meet Claire and Morgan for the first time. When she arrived, Claire was upstairs playing on the computer.

"Claire, come downstairs and meet the new babysitter, please."

Silence. Crickets chirping.

"Claire, sweetheart, will you get off the computer and come downstairs, please?"

"No, I am busy."

Ah, isn't she precious?

"Claire, get down here right now!"

Great first impression, even before she enters the room!

When she finally does decide to grace us with her presence, she runs straight past me and the sitter, without saying a word, and dives head-first into the pillows on the couch. Smooth.

"Claire, can you say hi?"

No, apparently she can't say hi. But what she can do is crawl around on all fours and bark like a dog for 10 minutes. Isn't that charming? I kept thinking about what it would be like if adults acted that way when you first met each other. It would definitely be an ice breaker (albeit, an awkward ice breaker).

In church on Sunday, Claire had brand spankin' new teachers in sunbeams. They are also brand spankin' new in our ward, and they had the privilege of meeting Claire and the rest of the sunbeams in our first (and CRAZY) practice for the primary program. Within the first 20 seconds of sitting down, Claire has thrown a fit and hit the kid sitting in the chair that she wants to sit in. Nice. She had a bit of an emotional for the rest of primary.

And right dab in the middle of the closing prayer, when it is as silent as can be, when you could hear a pin drop, Claire decides to speak out, in an above whisper voice. I bet you are curious what choice words she would have to say at this choice time, in front of her choice new teachers?



"What the hell?"

Again, we are so proud.

21 comments:

Laurie said...

I am laughing so hard I can hardly stand it. Aren't children just delightful when you least expect it? Sooo funny.

::lindsay said...

I love Claire!

Elise said...

How hilarious! These are the fun stories you get to embarrass her with when she's older!

Libby said...

ok the prayer comment is HILARIOUS! classic! i especially love it bc you were there and the primary president! way to go claire! i am sure the prayer was going way to long and she wanted to get out of there.

Cara said...

Where did that come from? How funny! I agree with Libby, it's that much funnier because you were there and you're the primary president. If it makes you feel any better, the running past everyone, diving into the couch, and then acting like a dog is exactly what my kids have done. Only there were 2 or 3 of them doing it together. And they really do act like dogs. I'm not sure if they are dog-deprived so that is how the express their need. But my kids have literally done that routine countless times. I feel for you.

PRP said...

I've almost peed me pants...gotta run!

Loves to Claire!

Heather said...

That is awesome!!

Shells said...

Tears are running down. That is soooo funny.

Where did she pick up her choice words? I really can't imagine those words coming from your mouth.

tharker said...

I think what makes it so funny for me is that I can hear her exact tone of voice while saying this! Hilarious!

Brooklet said...

I am not sure where she got it. I don't say it, but Cody does here and there. Its the only swear word I have ever heard her say and she has said it repeatedly for about a year. It just affirmed to me that we really, REALLY need to watch what we say around her.

Liz said...

Kids are sponges. Soren yelled at a driver once when he pulled out in front of us: "Pull your head out!" Obviously he is listening...to his dad! :)

Linda said...

Oh my gosh! Claire just cracks me up! The stories seem to never end:)

5dollarFanatic said...

Brooke-that is so delightfully funny. I must say that is quite the spirit breaker. You just have to love primary programs-the girl on the left side of my daughter pushed her into the boy on her right and then the boy pushed her back into the girl and then the dominoe effect happened and all twelve sunbeams in the front row were moving from left to right--it was funny.

Rachel said...

side splitting laughter right now. way more than LOL. I wish we all just said what we were thinking. wouldn't that be great

Anonymous said...

I would have paid money to have been there to hear that! Zach needs to watch his mouth too, or soon we're going to hear aubrey say some awful things (things that end in "bag" with several variations on the beginning)

Rachel said...

Luke has been telling Audrey she has a "sharty butt" yeah, I guess I should watch what I say too.

Meredith said...

I better watch it, or that will be Camryn's first phrase! We love our little chillens. Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself and leaving your legacy in Pittsburgh!

Kimo said...

Oh! FUNNY!!!!!

~Amber jo~ said...

wow, claire is sure blossoming into a great young lady! I wish i could make impressions like that! at least people would see me and remember me! ha ha. again, i loved the sarcasim.

Sketchy said...

For what it's worth I thought she was just adorable, lol.

The Karrens said...

I love Claire. I wish her and Allie were still together--that way everyone would think their behavior was normal. Or maybe they would just scheme and come up with out of control naughtiness.