Thursday, September 18, 2008

48 hours

The last 48 hours have been busy for one Claire Nelson. Busy. Here are just a couple of things she managed to find time for in her busy, busy world of la-la land and coloring crayons.

She decided to become a beautician. I could tell as I left to get my haircut that she was feeling a little left out, so, with that perky determination of hers, she scaled to the highest heights and found the hair clippers, located in the medicine cabinet and she gave herself some bangs. Really cute and sassy short ones. But don't worry, she left the long ones on the side, so she could look like a glamour shot photo from the 80s. I am pretty proud of her- I mean, I LOVE bangs on her, and I LOVE how she waits until just before her bangs (which she cut a mere 10 months ago) are almost grown out long enough to fit in the pony tail, before she cuts them short again. It's not like I have strong feelings about bangs on her or anything like that. It's just hair right?

But the pampering didn't stop there. Since she was getting a lovely haircut, why not get a lovely new mani and pedi? And being the self-starter that she is, she just decided to do it herself, with nobody's help. We are pretty proud of her. She coated her fingernail and toenails (and the carpet, and our one nice towel) pretty thoroughly. Boy, when that girl sets her mind on something, she exceeds every one's expectations.

In all her pampering excitement, she accidentally got gum stuck in her hair. But you know, nobodies perfect. Even Claire makes the occasionally mistake. Luckily the gum came out pretty easy and no tears were spilt.

This all was just in the hour and a half I was gone getting my hair cut. She is fast. Again, we couldn't be prouder.

Today, yesterday, and the day before she has been trying (and very unsuccessfully, might I add) to pour herself her own glasses of chocolate milk. She is just like Mary Tyler Moore, trying to make it all on her own, while wearing her cute new clothes. Lucky for us you can bleach white shirts (but does fingernail polish bleach out?).

This morning, Claire put on her thinking cap and decided to explore the nature of the world around her. Her first experiment was seeing if after you break a glass cup up in your bedroom, if you tried to clean it up without mom knowing, would you, in fact, cut your finger? The answer is most decidedly yes.

Her next science experiment of the day was what would really happen if you applied fingernail polish directly to the eye. The answer- it stings like heck. We like to encourage her find these things out on her own, to foster learning and independence (though I guess I did cheat a little when I helped her flush her eye with water).

Do you see how much learning and growing she has done over the last 48 hours? You know I have heard people say that raising kids is hard, but to be honest, I just don't get it. It's the easiest thing I have ever done. I mean, she is basically raising herself. We are so proud.

16 comments:

Jessica said...

oh, how i miss your sarcasm.

::lindsay said...

You are crackin' me up. So sorry she cut her bangs again though. That is uber-frustrating.

tharker said...

I second Jessica. I have been dying for a good dose of Brooklet sarcasm.

Thank you Claire for experimenting with everything you're not supposed to, so that we, your mother's faithful readers could get our fix.

When I was Claire's age, I decided to see if nail polish looked as good on the lips as it does on the nails. OUCH!

Sorry about the hair cut a la Claire. Again. I would love to see what both of your new 'dos looks like.

Liz said...

AHHHHHH HA HA HA! This is me rolling on the floor laughing, missing my sarcastic freshman roommate like crazy this very second! You are too funny. Jeez, Claire, you gotta slow down a bit - give your mom a breather! Maybe you don't yell at her enough, Brooke. :) j/k!

Linda said...

LOL! I LOVE Claire stories, which you will have many to share with her when she gets older. Sorry she cut her hair again. I guess she's just a girl who wants to have fun:)

Laurie said...

Brooke, there are no words. I keep my nail polish under lock and key (ok, childlocked cabinet)...but I could so see something like that happening at my house. She and Derek must truly be soul mates or something like that. The things they can come up with just make me shiver.

Amy said...

Well I'm glad you are the ever optimist :) Any pictures of these mishaps? Oh that Claire!

Cara said...

Wow. What an over-achiever. No wonder you are proud.

Shells said...

Sounds like Claire wants to be a beautician. Send her out to the real world and see if she can make any money at it. I bet she could. She seems to keep up with the current short banged trends.

We have Tot Locks on ALL of our cabinets. Even adults can't get into them unless they have the special magnet (which we keep high on the fridge).

Heather said...

Oh. my. gosh. Enjoy the next 48!!

Rachel said...

LOL.. oh boy. what a day!! she really knows how to explore and use her imagination.

Anonymous said...

I was exhausted just reading about all her activities! Enjoy next week!

Jana said...

That was totally worth leaving a comment. What would your blog be like if Claire didn't keep giving you some of your greatest material?!!! Kudos to Claire! :)

Michele said...

That was funny...made me laugh out loud! You know... they say if they are hard toddlers they are a breeze as teenagers...well at least that is what I keep telling myself! We used to call Dene the demon child...so far they are spot on!

~Amber jo~ said...

wow, Claire is so advanced for her age! I'm proud of her too. I never did anything in my youth. I had to learn everything from a book or some alternative source. although i did experiment (accidentally) what would happen if i sprayed kid body splash in my sister's eyes. we were playing perfume tag and she cryed pretty hard too.
I love this post, you are so funny!

Kimo said...

Oh, what can I say? I am truly sorry that Sarah has to live so far away from Claire's positive influence:). What a go-getter!