Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I Was Off on Safari

And now I am back again. We had a wonderful trip back home to have our family reunion. It was wonderful seeing everyone again, and again, I am awfully sorry for all the offensive things I may or may not have said. Does a bulk apology work? I hope so. Or else I don't think I will ever be invited back.


To be serious (not that I wasn't before), I loved being with all of my family, which is growing at an enjoyable rate (lots of new baby girls!). We went up to into the mountains for some cabin-sleeping, horse-shoe tossing, bad-mitten-dominating, scones-eating, snake-in-the-pool, good times.

Let me give you a detailed rundown of the entire four days. The first day we pulled up into the camp ground at exactly 12:31 pm, with anticipation and butterflies that tickled our stomachs and made us uncomfortably aware that we needed to pee, by crossing over a creaky, decrepit wooden bridge that looked as if it would be the last wooden bridge that the cumbrous white SUV would ever ride over. . . blah, blah, blah. . . four days later, we packed up and went home, the only butterflies in tow were the dead ones in the children's bug finder boxes.


That was it in a nut shell (though I blah, blah, blahed through the best part). One of the things that we did was go on a wicked (I learned on the radio today that this means 'very' or 'really') cool safari. There were painted animals hidden around the forest and the kids had binoculars to search them out and kill the beasts!!! No, not really. They just found the beasts, and patiently stood in line to get prizes from each animal. It was pretty awesome, even if no card board animals were hurt in the process. It is from this Safari that I wanted to post some pictures that basically summed up the whole two week vacation for Claire.

Here are all the kids at the beginning of the Safari, being told a story, even being taught a safari song. See all the kids participating.



Wait, I don't see Claire. Where could she be?

These little cuties are happily joining in on the story and song.



So are these little cuties.



And here is Claire,

acting like singing Safari songs is like attending a Kenny Loggins concert.


I think you get my drift.







13 comments:

tharker said...

I love that you posted this picture of Claire. It makes me smile, and laugh, and smile some more! After spending the last two weeks with that little darling, it's official, I really do want to adopt her! She is pure entertainment at it's best! I know, I know, you'll never give her up, but I had to put it out there :)

I had such a great time. I think this was the best reunion yet. You guys all did such a fabulous job on the Safari. I wish we had pictures of all of the animals, they were fantastic!

And yeah, those scones, I'll totally toot my own horn...they rocked!

Even though we all spent two weeks straight together, I already miss you all. How is that possible? Can't wait for Bear Lake next year!

::lindsay said...

That cracked me up!

It was good to see you, by the way!

Cara said...

Darn that Claire! Doesn't she know a good safari when she sees one? Her hair is so long again! It grows fast!

Jan said...

Love the blah blah blah stuff. How fun. Claire is darling. What a fun time it looks and sounds like. Your family is pure awesome though.

Jessica said...

Aren't family reunions the best? It was your side of the family right? Claire is darling, even in that picture.

Liz said...

Oh that is awesome! I love that you compare a meltdown to attending a Kenny Loggins concert. Classic. I'm glad you had a good time with some stand-out moments. I'd love to hear about the snake in the pool! :)

Shells said...

I'm thankful that I missed the snake in the pool. It was fun seeing you and your family. I felt like it was my child doing all of the screaming, not Claire. Loved the picture of her though.

~Amber jo~ said...

that is so funny! I love the picture of claire. You know if you really think about it, see could look like she's way into the song and yelling it instead of just singing it! I must say that safari was a highlight, the croc hunter was too.

Rachel said...

what a cute idea. Are ALL those kids related?? too bad claire wasn't feel'n it. that looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh that was a funny post - probably not so fun for you at the time...

Linda said...

LOL! I guess the Safari was a little too much for Claire:) Love Claire's dress.

Radene said...

Claire's hair is getting long and really adorable. Your descriptions and transitions are great Brooke...wen are you going to write a book? Glad you got to have a vacation. We missed you in primary, though I have to say you have good counselors, they held the fort down really well.

Jana said...

That last part of the post about Claire was too funny. Kenny Loggins!!! You totally make me laugh.