Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ronald Reagan and Me Mom

My mom's name is Wileen, the only Wileen I have ever met. My dad calls her 'Wy' sometimes. I think that is cute.

Where do I begin about my mom. I have already written that she is an
incredible mom and grandmother, who is willing to sacrifice anything to help out her family. I could go on and on about the wonderful things she has done as a mother and a grandmother, but today, to celebrate her birthday, I want to tell you the things about her that make her a wonderful woman.

She is extremely, EXTREMEMLY creative. All growing up, she tackled any and all types of creativity and crafting. She is an amazing seamstress. She made us clothes, dresses, quilts, holiday decorations, purses, backpacks, car seats, couches- she even made us homemade cabbage patch dolls with clothes to go with them. She decorated cakes, toll painted, stamped, floral arranged, needle pointed. She had a file with torn out magazine pictures of ideas she liked and was inspired by that I use to love to go through and look at. She is amazing.


Sometimes, when something is so funny, she laughs uncontrollably, really loud! It is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen. I can think of two distinct instances. The first is when she was telling a story of a coworker who was rooting for the Lions in the Superbowl, and instead of writing a supportive cheer for his team on the dusty side of a delivery van, he wrote, "Go Loins!" for all of Tri-Cities to see. She lost it and that was funnier than her story! A second time was when we had sister missionaries over for dinner, and one sister missionary was talking about how the mission had been having trouble with the missionaires keeping their pits, a term for their apartments, clean. But my mom didn't get the part that it was their aparment they were talking about; she was thinking arm pits. She sat there just incredulous that the mission was concerned about messy pits. Her eyes buldged out when the sister missionary informed us that the mission presidents wife was even going around, inspecting all their pits. "You mean she actually inspects their arm pits?!?" When she figured out her error, she lost it- as did everyone else. There is just something about unstoppable, uncontrollable laughter that is endearing!


My mom is very kind hearted. Maybe the nicest person I have even met. She will bend over backwards to help you out. She is also very sensitive to other people's feelings. She could always tell when we had hurt feelings and she was great about comforting us. I remember getting off the school bus when I was in elementary school one day when a kid had said embarrassing lies about me on the bus. We were sitting in the back and when I got off the bus, the driver said, "Don't you pay a bit of attention to what he was saying." That made me feel horrible, because I knew then that it had spread all the way up to the front of the bus. When I got home, my mom could tell something was wrong even though I didn't want to talk about it. But she is just so good about comforting, about making you feel like you can face any situation, because she is there to hold you up. It's a trait that had me turning to her when I was in college, when every couple of weeks there was drama of one sort or the other to call home about. And that help was priceless.

She also isn't afraid to tell you when she is proud of you. She tells me this all the time, and to me that is the best compliment she could give. I have a great mom as a role , and if I can emulate her in any way, that is something to be proud of. I love you, Mom!

Happy Birthday!

PS: She bakes the best breads ever. Period. That is not an exaggeration and there is no need to debate it. All hail the Queen!



PSS: GRRR, I can't post pics right now because of blogger, so to see my lovely mother, look no farther than here.

17 comments:

Jan said...

I love love your mom. And she is the funniest person to make laugh.
I miss sitting next to her in church. She was the best. You can really count on her too. We have some odd things in common as to having been at certain places at certain times a long time ago and not knowing each other. Glad you posted such lovely things. Happy Birthday Wileen.

Shells said...

Oh, I remember both of those laughing instances perfectly, like they were yesterday. We were either on the way to see or had just watched "Aladdin" at the movie theater when she told the "go loins" story. Wow, that is a long time ago. Great post Brooke, I"m always amazed at your memory of things that I have forgotten. You should write all of your growing up memories down and give a copy to everybody for Christmas. And to you, Mom, Happy Birthday! Brooke wasn't exaggerating on anything she said about you. You're the best mother, the best grandmother, and the best breadmaker!!!!!

Liz said...

Happy Birthday Brooke's Mom! She really is the funniest. I remember lots of good times from one particular Christmas when your family took me in while my family was all partying in Chile together. Gotta get me some of that bread. :)

Libby said...

sounds like a wonderful woman! i see that you take after her quite a bit :).

Carrie said...

I've heard your dad call her "Wy" before, and I think it's the sweetest thing, too.

Happy birthday, Sister Harker!

Amy said...

How funny that we both posted about our mom's. You conjoured up some cute memories. Mom's really are the best.

tharker said...

Your mom truly is the best. She is the best mother. The best Grandma. The best seamstress. The best Mother in law. The best cook. THE best baker. Every thing good that I have learned about being a mother, I have learned from Wileen. And any credit that I take for making good bread products immediately goes to Wileen, since she also taught me everything I know in that area too. We are beyond blessed to know her and love her.

Gina said...

That was fun to read. You seem similar to her in many ways. I was laughing out loud myself at some points!

P.S. The babysitting deal is totally in trial mode, and I totally feel like I could tell her if it wasn't working out. No pressure! I really want the money though! :)

Ann-Marie Photography said...

I found you on elena's blog. I can see everything is going good. I don't know your mom all that well, but it sounds like she is amazing. Your family sounds well, keep up the good work blogging, I'm not so good at it and will probably never hit a hundred, but I'll try :0

Laurie said...

Happy birthday to Brooke's mom! That was a neat tribute. Tara just found out she is moving a week from Saturday so she is a little busy at the moment. Hopefully soon she will be a blogging fool. oh and her laptop just stopped working. That might have something to do with it too.

tharker said...

I had to ask your mom about the Ronald Reagan reference in your title. She informed me that they share the same birthday. I had no idea! You so smart Brooke.

Carrie said...

I was just about to ask about Ronald Reagan.

Brooke, I haven't ever forgotten that you share a birthday with Elijah Wood. Every time someone brings him up (which was a lot for a while with the LOTR movies) I'd say, "My friend Brooke shares a birthday with Elijah Wood." And when I was younger I was jealous of you, because I thought he was cute.

::lindsay said...

Happy Birthday Wileen!

This was such a great tribute to your mom. She seems like such a great lady. Not only is she super talented she has the love and respect from all her kids. Tiffani has nothing but the very nicest things to say about her. I hope someday I can be a mom like that!

Jana said...

It made me a bit teary. Your mom sounds like someone else I know. You.

Kimo said...

Ronald Who? What a great tribute to your mom - so sweet.

Pitcherpost said...

You do sound a lot like your mom. I find myself become more and more like my mom each year, I used to think that wasn't such a good thing, but now I think it's a great goal. Except I won't ever start wearing my pants above my bellybutton, my mom and I will never be alike on that regard.

Anonymous said...

Your mom is the best. She helped me sew a cute pillow case to match the bed spread I made I made for college.

She is the kindest person.

I remember once her saying that Jane Austin was her favorite author and so whenever I read one of her novels I think of her.

The first time I heard your Dad call your mom "Wy" I thought he was calling here wife!

I remember your mom telling me about the pit story. Too funny!

Happy Birthday "Sister Harker"!

-Christina Johnson