Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Red Balloons

To hand make or not to hand make, that is the question.

I have been meaning to write about this subject for a while now. I have had a reoccurring discussion amongst several of my friends regarding this very thing. Some don't like handmade things, because they look handmade. Other's like the look of handmade but don't enjoy making things whatsoever, and then there are those who love handmade, love to make handmade, and will proudly display handmade in their house. That is me- though it has to be the right kinda of handmade- it needs to fit my style,can't look like crap. I like to look at things that other's have made and gleam inspiration from it- how can I do that, how can I change it to make it my own? I do this all the time. During Christmas break, it was pretty quiet in blog land and in friend land- everyone had gone home for the break except us. So I did what I usually do on the computer when no one is posting, I search for crafting ideas. I really reconnected with the crafting side of me this past break. I have a million ideas floating around in my head, where in truth only about 3 or 5 will actually come to fruition. But that is the fun of it for me- the planning. The implementing doesn't always come together as I like, but that never stops me. I really get energized just thinking about it. So during Christmas break I decided to start being more active on all those million ideas- try new things, get things done when I can.

So here is the first thing that I did.

Claire is really into helping me cook, which I think is really fun and awfully cute. So I made her an apron, one of those half aprons that really don't keep your clothes that clean, but look oh, so cute.


She loves it and I think it looks pretty cute. I didn't have a pattern so I made it up as best as I could. Don't look at the finishing, because it is ghastly (as if you could, most of you live hundreds of miles away).

Here are some of the blogs that I look at for inspiration. What I love about these blogs is that they are just average people who love crafting, who are incredibly creative and talented, and who actually put all their plans to action, everyday. Fantastic!

Dandee Designs (she has a cute Etsy Shop)

Chuckles and Grins (also has a cute Etsy Shop)

Angry Chicken (no Etsy shop but her own book and website)

Life at the Chicken Coop (I admire her because she is fearless in her style)

And if you don't know what Etsy is, you need to go there and spend some time admiring others people's courage. I love it! One day. . one day I will have my own Etsy shop. Until then, I will keep living vicariously through others.

Did you figure out the title? It leads to a doosy of a post for next time.

19 comments:

tharker said...

Is it totally begger-ish of me to ask for one of those adorable aprons in the exact same colors and fabric as Claire's? Please, please, please? My birthday is in 6 1/2 months! How's that for begging?

You did a great job Brooke. You are one of the most naturally creative people that I know. I love that when you get the itch to do something, you just figure out a way to do it, and you do it for cheap! Case in point, Claire's adorably sweet Halloween costume, that I personally liked BETTER than the Pottery Barn costume.

I'll be happy to measure my waist for you....ya know just in case you have extra fabric hanging around ;)

Jessica said...

I agree. Your Pottery Barn knock-off costume was way better than the original. Kate would probably love to have a hand-made apron. Form you, of course, because she won't be getting one from me anytime soon! I love crafting, but it's the sewing that scares me.

Jessica said...

FROM

Heather said...

That is cute.... seriously put Tiff out of her misery. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if it even had GHASTLY finishing.

hatch said...

That apron is sooooo cute!!! Who would not love handmade like that?

Jana said...

OK, first things first. I DO like handmade things. I guess I should have clarified about what I meant. Mostly I am referring to anything made from felt. I love te advent calenders, but come on. . . who really has the right cut outs to make it look professional? Your apron? I want one!! For me. Those are the handmade things I enjoy. But some things just look too "home makinginsh" for me. You know what I am talking about!

Jana said...

So seriously, i want an apron. What do you charge? And I want the same fabric you used for Claire. LOVE IT!!!

Jan said...

Love the apron. I think it encourages little girls to grow up and be mommies. I always had my daughter Mattie in them in her little play kitchen working away. Now she is a big help in the big kitchen. Make your husband one too. This might be an answer to all wives around the world seeking spousal help. Were brilliant.

Liz said...

3 or 5. I love it! You're hilarious. I also happen to think your apron is adorable! You should definitely sell your stuff. Check out my blog to see how you can! :) I admire you for homemade things. I am not creative, so I'm definitely impressed when people can make their own stuff and make it cute to boot. On a funny note, Soren loves the food network channel and loves to cook with me (whenever I get around to cooking, that is). :) Maybe I should commission you to make a manly apron for him. :)

Liz said...

Can't wait to see what "red balloons" refers to. :)

5dollarFanatic said...

Hola-it's been a long time...like probably eight years since i last saw any of the old Pasco clan..anyway just thought I'd say hello and invite ya to see my family at arindance.blogspot.com I was looking at your blog and noticed that your baby's birthday is the same day as my amber's birthday and my wedd. anniversary-so i think it is a lucky day.

Carrie said...

Okay, Brooke, now you've made me really want a cute apron. The only one I've got is a gray manly apron that I found in the free box in one of the Wymount laundry rooms. It's served me well, but the ones on etsy are so much cuter!

You did a great job! Claire looks so cute- I'll bet she loves helping in the kitchen even more now.

Pitcherpost said...

Clue me in to some of your crafting ideas - I'm always up for a new project. I love handmade, not so much for the look, but I enjoy the process and being able to customize something exactly how I want it. I hope red balloons has something to do with your giveaway!

Shells said...

Looks cute Brooke. You've got a cute little model there too. Good job on making it without a pattern -- patterns can cost just as much as a buying an apron.

Michele said...

Now that I know you are an expert seamstress how would you feel about heading up the sewing club? Great job and I love Claire's apron.

Kimberly said...

I'd have to say I adore the apron! I had made aprons for my mom and my sister a year or two ago. The part I enjoyed most about creating them was thinking about it and finding the right materials to make it special and one of a kind.

Putting them together took all the strength I could muster(I have little patience) but when they were finally done I just couldn't stop staring at them. I almost kept one but that would have been selfish:).

I really like handmade things and like you they have to be nice like someone put the extra effort in making them. For instance, I use the hooded bath towel you had made for Maeryn all the time, it's one of my fav's!

Amy said...

Good job Brooke! I wonder what category I fit into. I would love to have the patience for crafts. I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to doing things with my hands. Maybe we all should get together and try some of your ideas.

Linda said...

You are so creative and crafty Brooke. You need to teach me some of these things.

elenapena said...

Brooke, it's adorable. You look at other people's stuff and you're amazed, but you forget that us non-crafty people are amazed by the little things you can do with your hands. I knit, crochet, and cross-stitch, and I'm pretty good at it, but when it comes to venturing out to other things, I just don't have the energy right now, and I am so jealous and at the same time admiring of other people's talents. Like yours. I think you're so creating and so good at what you can do! I love it!