Monday, January 28, 2008

27 Candles

Today was my birthday. I turned 27.

It was a good day. Very lax, which I liked. We had a fun little birthday party with my little fam, which was perfect for me. Some pulled pork sandwiches, a little Texas Sheet Cake (major, major yum) and some cookies n cream ice cream. One of the best moments of any birthday to date was watching Claire so excited as she sang happy birthday to me, anticipating helping me blow out the candle. It was an emotion I had yet to experience and it rocked! Cody came home early from school with a bundle of roses and some yummy chocolates. He works really hard to make my birthdays special and today was sensational.

Let me give you a play by play:


Here I am about to open my present. Yes, I do realize Claire clothes don't match, but at least she is wearing clothes. Morgan seems a bit shell shocked, but don't be concerned. After all this is her first family birthday party. I can see how it can be a bit confusing for someone who has never been to one before.


Here I am opening up my birthday card from Cody. Inside it contained a sweet message and a 1$ bill. Cody threw that in there because he feels it is a lot more exciting to open a letter that has money in it. Very True. Claire is eager to help, while Morgan is trying to figure out why there is only 1$ in there (what, is this like 1955?).


Here I am saying "Adobe Photoshop, I LOVE IT!" Claire didn't quite understand the brilliancy of the gift, while Morgan seemed down right skeptical that the package was so small.




Here I am blowing out the candle on my birthday cake. The little dash of powdered sugar is courtesy of Claire's culinary skills, and Morgan seems to be so hungry that she is eating her pajamas.



And for the grand finale, here I am snuggling with my two favorite girls of all time. Yes, I realize Claire's hair isn't done and looks like a mushroom. But at least now she is wearing the shirt that matches her pants. And Morgan, well, she is still underwhelmed by it all. As for me, I was one very happy girl.

Birthdays aren't quite like they were when I was younger- I didn't get to wear the birthday crown, have the feather pen on my desk, and get chased around by a dark lipstick-wearing Ms. Spellman today. But as I get older, I think birthdays get more special. It's more about a day of appreciation rather than of partying. I loved getting phone calls and emails from my friends and family today. It meant a lot to me this year. My friend Libby, dropped by some cookies and a card. Cody wrote me the sweetest note. My sister, Michelle, even dedicated a whole post to me on her blog. To know that there are people who really know me, who love me, makes me feel wonderful. It makes me a very happy 27 year old.
On a final note, President Hinckley passed away yesterday. I am a little surprised how not very sad I am about it. I loved him. I enjoyed listening to him speak. I knew he was a prophet of the Lord. I knew he was a good man. I will miss his leadership, his inspiration, but I am so happy to think that he is reunited with his wife, his loved ones, his Savior. He worked hard and now I know he is peacefully resting, excited to watch the gospel continue to roll forth on the earth.

19 comments:

Wendi said...

Feliz cumpleanos Brooke!A bit late, I know, but better late than never, right? It looks like you had a splendid day and I hope that the rest of your year is just as fantastic!

Jana said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY I did call, but you didn't answer. And your post was fun to read. Funny too. It sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Jan said...

Happy Birthday Brooke. You are a stunning 27 year old even though your still 17 in my mind. Nice family and the cake looked divine.

tharker said...

Okay, first of all, I TOTALLY suck at being a good sister in law. I wish I could blame it on the fact that I no longer have a fabulous calender with everyone's birthday's pre-printed on it, but nope, I just suck. I'm so sorry. You are on my list first thing tomorrow!

Second, you look so gorgeous! I love your hair, and your make up looks beautiful. What are you talking about asking me for tips? You be foolin'.

Third, the cake looks divine, I think Claire is adorable even with the mushroom shaped hair, and that Morgan is utterly kissable with those cheeks!

Fourth, I totally agree with you and Cody. Getting money in a card is always so much more exciting.

Again, please forgive me for being the worst SIL ever!

I love ya.

::lindsay said...

Happy Birthday Brooke! I'm glad you had a wonderful time on your special day!

Libby said...

Happy Birthday! I am a lame friend bc I didn't even know it was your birthday! How sad. So did you make your birthday cake and dinner? The sheet cake looks very yummy! Well, it sounds like you had a fun day. Family is the best! Oh, and you look amazing...really, very beautiful!

Shells said...

I'm glad you had a happy birthday. I'm glad Cody makes it a special day for you. That is something I need to work on. Birthdays are just no big deal to me, so I don't make them too special for Tom and Mikey.

The texas sheet cake looks divine. I wish I could have been there. Remember when we lived in west jordan and we went out to dinner for cody's birthday? That was so fun. I wish we could do that again for your birthday.

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday Brooke! You and your girls look beautiful!

Casee said...

Happy birthday, Brooke! It looks like it was a lovely day, and the play-by-play was hilarious.

And I totally agree with you regarding President Hinckley, I miss him, but I imagine it was a joyous reunion he must have had (and is probably still having.)

tharker said...

Do you and Casee know each other too? Man Brooke, you are one popular chick!

Brooklet said...

Casee is the sister of my old co-worker Alison, at WIA. I stumbled upon her in blog land. How do you know her? I think its Casee who is popular.

Amy said...

Happy Birthday! No party? I'm glad you are as old as me now. We can be 27 year olds together. It looks like you had a wonderful birthday. You got spoiled with love, that's the best kind of spoiling.

tharker said...

I actually don't "know" her. I "met" her through Elizabeth's blog (another blogger from UT). So technichally, they are both strangers, but I love both of their blogs!

Liz said...

Happy Birthday, Brooklyn! You look gorgeous at 27! You'll love Photoshop. Get ready for many sleepless nights. You'll be tossing and turning with brilliant, creative Photoshop ideas all night long. :)

Jessica said...

I knew it was your birthday! Well, kinda. I remember it was around Pete's and I cheated and found out on Facebook. But, I didn't totally forget! :) Glad you had a wonderful day. You look great.

Cara said...

You look beautiful in every picture! 27 looks good on you. :)

Carrie said...

Happy birthday, Brooke! I'm sorry I didn't write or call, but I DID think about you. Looks like you had a blast- I'm so glad.

You might be tired of hearing it, but you look beautiful!

Gina said...

I love reading your posts. You always make me laugh! Sorry I wasn't able to make it to you bday lunch on Saturday. I had a baby shower in the morning then Nate had to take off. So I was home with the sleeping child for the afternoon. Hope it was a blast! Happy late Birthday!

elenapena said...

Brooke, I am such a bad friend. It won't happen again, but happy belated Birthday, girl!!! I'm under a month late, so it still counts, right? I'm glad you had a special day. You deserve it, super woman you!