Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Bug of Randomness

I saw how it was spreading like a virus. I could see people all around catching it and then infecting others. It has been really interesting to see how fast it moves, how people seemingly unconnected catch it sooner or later. And I got hit from two sides. I have been blagged, to borrow a term from rabidrunner, by said rabidrunner and Libby. So here I go, manifesting the symptoms of the randomness virus.

1. Sometimes I feel like I belong in the 1940's- I love their movies, their music, their clothes, and the way they talked. I love big band and I especially love the Andrew Sisters- I have their whole CD memorized and I sing it every chance I get.

2.I graduated from BYU when I was 20 years old. I had just turned 20 and felt thoroughly unprepared to be a college graduate. But I was. It is something I am really proud about, border-line conceited about. I have to try really hard not to bring it up in every conversation I have. "Linda, can you pass the cookies, by the way, I graduated when I was 20." It sounds a lot more grand than it actually is. I am not smarter than the average bear, but I was lucky to live in a school district in high school that let me go to a community college when I was still a junior in high school.

3. I like radishes.

4. It really bothers me to see cars with bumper stickers, or fridges with magnet's on them. Of course my fridge does have magnets on it, but that is besides the point. In a perfect world, cars and fridges would be clutter free.

5. I love plays and musicals, and love to be in plays and musicals, except that I am completely self-conscious and fully aware that I can't act and I can't sing. My most embarrassing moment ever is caught on tape- a solo I had in a high school play. When I watch it I want to pull my ears off, roll over, and die from embarrassment. Good times.

6. I started a story in my head in high school that was inspired in part by an old movie (probably from the 40s) that involved Maureen O'Hara, a ranch in South America, and attacking fire ants. I tell myself the story at nights when I have trouble following asleep and I do it in great detail, like I am actually writing the novel in my head. I have repeated and refined the story three times since college. It takes me months to get through the story. It's one of my favorite things about falling asleep. . . and its an old-time western romance. . . Okay, THAT was embarrassing to confess.

If you choose, you can contract the randomness bug from me and share with others on your website.

14 comments:

PRP said...

I love your randomness. Those all perfectly describe you or at least what I think you to be. It's been awhile since I've actually seen you!

Stupid blogger question-how do you change your comments to say something like "7 musings" instead of "7 comments?" I've looked everywhere and am apparently too stupid to figure it out. Thanks. You're a rock star.

tharker said...

Wear that randomness proudly Brooke. Except for the radishes, cuz that's just sick!

Gina said...

I like the randomness-ness! I am not sure if I could come up with as many intersting random facts about myself, but I can sure try!

::lindsay said...

I always love these random posts because I always learn something new about the person. I agree with Karen--those facts seem so "you" and I wish we lived closer to each other because I know I would enjoy your company so much.

So sorry about Claire's hair--I would have been sad too. Luckily, she looks adorable with the new haircut.

Liz said...

I remember well your love affair with the Andrews Sisters. Those really were good times. I hope you publish your book sometime...help the rest of us get to sleep, too. :) j/k! Ha! That sounds like I'm saying your book would be boring. Not so, I'd just like to be able to fall asleep with all that creativity floating through my head. Maybe some would rub off on me. :)

tharker said...

I also don't agree with your thoughts on your singing and acting talents. You are a fantastic singer. You can harmonize like nobody's business! And acting...well we all know you're a drama queen! : ) Just kidding, you are the furthest thing from a drama queen, but personally I enjoyed your Rachel Lynde in high school. You were the best busy body any neighbor could ask for!

Jessica said...

i remember working with you at WIA and you were eating radishes and i thought you were crazy. i recently tried radishes (sad, considering i am 27 and it took me that long to try them). i have to agree that radishes are pretty good.

Heather said...

Brooke you are too cool for your own good.

rabidrunner said...

All of these years I thought the Andrews Sisters were one hit wonders (with the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy song and all). Thanks to you, I ran (figuratively of course) to I-tunes and checked them out. Thanks!

I like radishes too. Especially if their cut like roses.

rabidrunner said...

THEY'RE cut like roses.

Amy said...

I love how random you are! I love all your little quirks! I know now why Claire loves radishes too. You are too silly!

Brooklet said...

Karen, you go to edit your layout and then hit the edit post section. There you will find the option to change the word comments to anything else. If that was too vague let me know.

Brooklet said...

I am a drama queen (see previous post) but that doesn't mean I can act. But that doesn't stop me from trying!

Jana said...

I love it! And I want the details to the western. And for the record. You CAN sing and act. The acting I am just confident on, but I have heard you sing. You are a singer. Even if it was Boogie Boogie Bugle Boy. Help you! :)