Saturday, August 11, 2007

Who am I Becoming?

Last night we had a girl's night out. That meant that we left the hubby and kids at home and went to dinner and a movie that most likely our husbands had no interest in seeing. The movie of choice last night was one that I had been anxiously awaiting for some time.

Becoming Jane is the story of Jane Austen and the romance and experiences in her real life that influenced the romances and experiences in her novels. I have been pondering over if I should give you a thumbs up to go see it, or thumbs down. I am an intense Jane Austen fan- I think her writing is among the best the world has ever seen. I have read and enjoyed each of her books repeatedly (with the exception of Northanger Abby) . I really enjoyed picking out the different parts of her books from the subtle references in the movie. I know it was all the work of the screenwriter, but it was fun to imagine and to wonder where she did find her inspirations. The movie is a romance and the filmmakers and actors do a good job of making the romance something that you felt and truly rooted for (as opposed to feeling forced to go along with a formulaic romance portrayal). So this is really my final recommendation on the matter. If you don't like Jane Austen books, don't go see the movie-you will be lost in the language and probably frustrated by the story. But if you are a true Austenite, go see it, enjoy the guilty pleasure of imagining Jane's life, but just don't sit in the front row!! I would say its a good movie, just not a great movie. Be warned, though. Even though it is a PG movie, you do see the backside of two men, and a shocking, misplaced, rather sickening scene that I am too embarrassed to even label for you.

On a little personal note, I would like to apologize to everyone that I have been rude and vulgar to lately. For some reason, I have really been off my rocker as far as being clean in speech and kind in humor. I blame it on the humidity, and the fact that when I was little I didn't get equal share of ice cream as my siblings (little inside joke there--me, managing to be rude inside an apology for being rude). When I get in front of a group of people who I am comfortable with, I tend to be more vulgar than I believe I really am. And last night, I felt I was downright rude in some of my humor. At one point, I told one of the girls, who I had meet maybe twice before, who had pictures of kittens in her planner, that I hated people who liked cats. I was completely kidding, but what kind of humor is that?? Just a little off, people. Please accept my apologies if you have been offended, grossed out, influenced, or shocked by any of my lame behavior. And if you haven't experience any of this from me yet, just give it time. At the rate I am declining, I am bound to get a comedy show on HBO by November.

8 comments:

Jana said...

you are too much!!! It think that I am the one that should apologize. If you think you are rude, maybe you haven't ever really heard a word that I have said. You are the last person I would ever consider to be rude. Funny yes. That cats comment was needed. Who likes cats? Not that I hate the people that like them!!! GEEZ!!! You are rude. HAHA. And about the movie. . . it was good and all, but sad and long. And my face was sore from having to move it so much to see the whole screen.

tharker said...

I would watch a Brooklet HBO show any day! Only because I know that your's would be the cleanest on the network! I don't think you're rude. Your sense of humor is so refreshing. We all love that about you!

And really, you can only see photobucket on my blog? Cuz it looks normal to me. I changed the template to the green stitches. Let me know.

::lindsay said...

You aren't rude at all. I only wish that I had the opportunity to get to know you better before you moved. I love people with a good sense of humor and who can tease!

Monica said...

You are so much more proper than I am when it comes to language (and most other things). But of course I will never forget what you said the other day... LOL!! And I love your sense of humor, please don't change. You crack me up all the time.

Thanks for the movie review. I wondered if that was any good. Maybe I will rent it when it comes out on DVD.

Brooklet said...

Exactly, what I said the other day was absolutlely rude and vulgar. I apologize for that.

Jessica said...

Rude and vulgar aren't two of the first words I think of when describing you. Actually, they aren't any words I would use to describe you. How about 'intelligent' and 'wise'? Those work well. Thanks for the movie review. I may also keep it in mind as a rental. I can't be classified with all of the serious Jane Austen fans. I would probably be one of the people totally lost throughout the movie.

Jana said...

What did you say the other day. Spill it!

Brooklet said...

no, it was quite possibly the most vulgar thing I have ever said- I am embarrassed that my sisters heard it. well, read it, since I typed it out for them on IM. Again, I apologize- that was over the line for me.