Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A Bunch of Brunching Braggers

Today I invited some girls in our ward over for brunch. I love breakfast food, but that it besides the point. It had been a while since I have really hung out with any of these girls (or anybody for that matter), and I wanted to get together at least once before I had this baby and am put firmly out of commission. So we got together, ate pancakes and sticky buns (I didn't make the sticky buns this time, for all who were concerned), and had a jolly ol' time chatting.

It is a well known fact that a group of mothers cannot get together without the conversation eventually leading to labor and delivery. . . and boobs. It just happens and its inevitable. All of the girls, with the exception of me, have had a baby in the last year- two of the girls just had their first babies last month, so conversation was ripe and progressed full speed ahead to labor and delivery stories. It's not like we have never hung out before, not like we haven't heard each other's labor and delivery story before (well, with the two new moms, the stories were both pretty new to us). So why do we rehash each and every detail when we get together? I can see how that would be real, real annoying to people that don't have kids yet. And I can see why people say that when you have a baby, you become boring. It reminds me of third grade when all the kids are showing off every scab and scar that they have ever had in order to impress the other kids. However, since I have had a baby, I haven't tired of hearing or telling birthing stories. Why is that?

What we are essentially doing is sitting around bragging about our experience and we are all bragging about completely different things. We are bragging about how short our labor was; we are bragging about how long our labor lasted; we are bragging about how painful it was; how not painful it was; how big our baby was; how small our baby was; etc, etc. Most of our labors are completely different and yet no matter how it happens, we find a way to brag about it. I participate in this full-heartedly, so I am not condemning this- I really enjoy it. I suppose that's why people are drawn to memoirs, because we like to hear other people's experiences. It helps us examine our own and put them into perspective. And more importantly, I think we like for other's to hear our experiences. That sounds incredibly conceited, but I think the reason we are bragging is because we are truly proud of the experience we went through.

Labor is our battle wound that shows how much we commit ourselves and our bodies to having a kid (not that we really have a choice once we're preggers). It's hard; it's scary; it's wonderful; it's messy. And we are proud of it no matter how it happens, no matter if we pushed for four hours or if our babies foot pushed itself out before we were even out of the waiting area. There is really no sense in trying to one up someone else's delivery story, because we are all inwardly excessively proud of how our own story happens. So it should be told, repeatedly, at every Enrichment dinner, cooking gals, and girls night out, because it feels wonderful to be acknowledged for a truly wonderful event. And plus, every one loves a good story with plenty of blood and gore, right?

So here, blogging world, is my current baby story. I went to the doctor today, pretty excited because they were going to "check" me and I was hoping for a good progress report. First off, I was shocked, shocked when they weighed me and I found out I had lost three pounds in a week. I cannot account for it, because I have been constantly eating. In fact since I made strawberry jam several weeks ago, I have had at least three or four sandwiches a day- that's in between meals! I love them so much I have to pace myself so I don't get indigestion. As soon as I feel a bit of hunger, I rejoice and allow myself a glorious pb and j. When the doc checked me I was shocked, shocked and more shocked (sorry for all the shocks, but I previously put two shocks for the weight thing, and this time I was more shocked than that, hence the extra shocked) when he told me I was dilated to a 5!! And then he tells me I am 100% effaced. I didn't know you could get that far without actually being in labor, but apparently you can and I am. So that just scared the pants off me because that could means I can go at anytime. Mentally, I am not ready to have this baby. I don't even have my bag packed or anything. But maybe this is the wake up call I needed. He even scheduled me for an inducement for next week, because he thinks when I go into labor, the baby is going to come fast and he doesn't want me to, and this is a direct quote, "have the baby in the Fort Pitt Tunnels". Okay. For some reason I am anti being induced. I don't know why. I just have some romantic notion of going into labor the normal way, rushing to the hospital, getting an epidural (that is the most romantic part of the whole thing), and pushing a baby out. But he doesn't think I am even going to make it to the day he has me scheduled for inducement. So why schedule me for inducement then? Some questions we may never know the answer to.

That's my story and I am proud of it. I will tell this story to anyone with a listening ear for at least the next ten years, and I will be unapologetic about it. Because every step of it is a celebration for us, and it should be shared!

16 comments:

Shells said...

Being induced is the way to go Brooke. You go in, they break your water, you feel one contraction, and then they give you an epidural. No more pain. Easy, breezy. Good luck!!!!!! How many weeks along are you?

tharker said...

I'm actually with you on your feelings about induction Brooke. I prefer to let my body just do it's job when it's ready. Didn't you end up going into labor on your own on the day of your scheduled induction last time? I would bet that being a 5 and 100%, you won't even make it to next week. Oh, I'm so excited, I can't stand it! Come one Lily/Morgan/whatever your parents decide to name you...we want to meet you!!!!

tharker said...

I meant, Come On, not come one

I could say come one, come all, meet Brooke's new baby!

PRP said...

I totally agree. Our own personal birth stories are our rites to womanhood. They prove to everyone how amazing we are, what we're capable of and how strong we can be. And that's always a good thing to be reminded of when you're busy being MOM 24/7.

As for induction, DON'T DO IT! All three of my babies were induced and it, in a word, SUCKS. I didn't have much option with any of them and all for different reasons, but I would love to have a baby come all on it's own like Nature intended.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you!

::lindsay said...

I loved reading your post, Brooke. I can't believe you are already at a 5 and 100% effaced. I didn't think you could be that far along without being in labor either. After 10 days overdue, I was induced with Carson. I went into natural labor with Kaiya at 38 weeks. I have to say that Kaiya's labor was WAY better than Carson's. When you are induced, the labor pains are 1000 times worse. If you get an epidural you are fine, but could still run the risk of the epidural wearing off and they won't give you more or it may not take as well as you hoped. In those situations, you just have lots of pain. With Kaiya, there was a slow progression in the contractions---way better! Good luck and can't wait to hear your latest labor story and see the pics of your beautiful, new baby.

Jessica said...

I'm writing this thinking to myself that you may not even read it until after your cute baby is born! Pack your bag in a hurry, Brooke! How are Cody and Claire doing with all of this news? Good luck with everything. You and your family deserve the best. And, I am in total agreement that kid/pregnancy/delivery stories never get old...time after time after time...

Monica said...

If I had to choose between being induced or delivering in the Fort Pitt Tunnels, I would definately choose being induced. But of course I don't know much about the Fort Pitt Tunnels, for all I know that might be a beautiful, soothing, relaxing place....just kidding. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. And I look forward to hearing all about it.

Heather said...

I'm the same way, rehashing those labor stories are great way to brag without looking "braggy".

Good luck with the newest delivery!!!

Brooklet said...

I am still here, no labor yet. Probably will still be here for 9 more days (thats when I am scheduled to be induced). TO be honest, I hope I don't go that far, just to avoid being induced. I am a little worried about making it to the hospital on time, but you never know, I could have a 26 hour labor. I don't think there is the slightest chance I would be having the baby in the fort pitt tunnels, since I don't have to drive through them to get to the hospital.

Liz said...

I'm listening. But, here goes my story. :) Don't get induced! That's what led to my c-section, I'm sure of it. My body wasn't ready to deliver when I was induced with Soren, so I never fully dilated and ended up having to have a c-section. Luckily, I went into labor on my own with Anders and was able to have a VBAC. Just let your body do it. Even if you, by some random act of nature, are still pregnant when your induction date rolls around, I say cancel it and let that baby keep on incubating. :) The end. See, I listen so well, don't I?! :)

Shells said...

After reading everybody else's stories concerning inducement, I'm glad that mine turned out so well. Like you said, everybody has such different labor and delivery experiences.

Brooklet said...

Wendi just wrote me an email about her inducements, and it really calmed my fears- she also had good experiences with being induced, so no matter what happens, I am willing to accept it and get through it.

Though if this was an ideal world, I prefer to go into labor next monday or Friday, since Cody will have school off those days, and I really need to make it through this weekend because I am going to watch Becoming Jane on Friday!!!! And I have a primary activity on Saturday. Then Baby Nelson can come, natural or induced!

Brooklet said...

Oh, and I am awaiting my copy of eclipse to be delivered- so after that, then I can have a baby!

Carrie said...

Wow! What a coincindence! I just posted my delivery story with Alyssa on my blog. You're right that we all want to brag about our experiences when it comes to our children, and I think it's so much fun.

Good luck with everything, Brooke! I hope your baby comes soon, and I can't wait to hear the story.

Jana said...

too funny. I have done both methods of labor and all work out. Good luck!!! Hold her in one more night. I am so excited for a girls night!!!

Jessica said...

So, I just went to a play group with Kate and Lilly this morning and guess where our conversation ended up? I just had to laugh inside, listening to everyone tell their own stories. Your blog is the only thing I could think of! I was induced with Kate=c-section. Luckily, I had Lilly naturally. (See, I'm telling my own story, now!) Good luck with whatever situation presents itself. Can't wait to see pictures of her!