Thursday, June 21, 2007

Slicing Off a Finger

I, unfortunately, like to share. Well, except I don't actually like sharing my side of the bed, or sharing a really good bag of candy. But if I ever have a single thought pop into my head, I sure do like to share it. Immediately. To anyone in a .5 mile vicinity. While I do list sharing as one of my top attributes, it, unfortunately, is not always a good one. I get into trouble a lot with my "sharing"- you know the common side effects that accompany such spontaneous regurgitation of thoughts: putting my foot in my mouth; offending; nausea, dry mouth, and diarrhea; grossing people out with my way too personal details; and most destructively, gossiping.

For me, a blog just makes it so I can publish those thoughts to a distance a thousand times fold (by a thousand times, I mean the 7 of you that read my blog [but you guys do live far apart]). In my first post, I made the analogy of my blog to a fairy tale that told of three sisters who were told a secret. I am the sister that can't keep any type of secret in and have to at least share it with the thickets. . . and to my mom, to my friends, to the old lady with purple hair standing in front of me at the grocery store, to my sisters, and all else who may lurk on my blog. So it stands to reason that the more thickets I visit, the more acutely I will suffer from any number of those glorious side effects. So I do what I can to avoid such suffering. And this week, I had to do something drastic, something desperate, something cowardly. Something akin to chopping off my pointer finger to save the nose on my face. . . I edited past posts.

I know. I know what you are thinking- "Oh, the humanity"; "How dare she"; "Boo, whore!" I realize I have violated the sacred law of all journal/blog writing of not going back to change a post once you have written it. Because at the moment, inappropriate as it was, it was honest and true to yourself. If you go back and change it, it's like getting a boob job- no matter how much better you think it makes you look- it's just not the real you and it will never be the real you ever again. I actually had a hard time hitting the delete button on these less than pc posts . I could feel the betrayal to myself. But, if you also recall from previous posts, I am also a milktoast- I avoid confrontation like it's the plague. So while the honorable thing would have been to keep my post as is, and put some backbone behind what I feel and wrote, I edited it. Okay, so technically the honorable thing would have been to not write things that I would feel uncomfortable having anyone read, but apparently honor falls just behind speaking my mind, which falls slightly behind saving face, which falls somewhere behind my amazing ability to load dishwashers full and efficiently, in my list of attributes.

You might not even notice the edits, but that's not really the point. I don't often like to ask questions to reader's on my blog (first off, its so bloggish to end with a question, and second, it implies that I have the gumption to assume that anyone actually reads my blog), but I want to know what other people's take is on editing past journal entries that might tend to embarrass or incriminate (you know the ones that I'm talkin' 'bout).

Dear Void, is it really as big a deal as I feel it is?

12 comments:

Heather said...

I'm dying laughing. I love your blog. I think if you want to edit your post- its OK. A journal is different in that no one sees it if you don't want them to...

tharker said...

First and foremost, you can load a dishwasher like no other!!!! Second, you are such a fantastic writer. I loved this post. It's probably among my top 3 for you! Of course that ONE, you know the one...that you deleted...it was my #1 fave. But you did what you had to do... I'm just kidding, I didn't look to see what you deleted. The way I see it, this is your blog, and you can delete if you want to!!! As long as you don't delete the whole blog, cuz I love it!

Casee said...

I agree with the first two comments. I definitely say (and write) my fair share of un-pc things and I have thought about deleting or editing them, I think everyone has at least contemplated going back and making a few minor "adjustments". And it is your blog, so feel free to do so. I have been thinking a lot about the things I say rencently, especially gossip and I have been trying to be more careful. I still want to be myself and speak my mind, but I definitely need to learn when to keep my mouth shut, so I can totally relate to this. And I also agree, that you shouldn't delete everything, because I also enjoy reading your posts!

Liz said...

Ha ha ha! You know what I did to remedy this problem? I set up a journal blog for myself. I type entries in there first, then copy and paste to my public blog, editing those few choice lines that I probably shouldn't air to the world. :) However, I love reading your blog posts and would hate to see them edited. They are you. Some people are allowed to sound off on anything and everything without anyone thinking worse of them...I think you're one such being. So, a little advice from this void...keep them coming!

And, yes, people do read your blog. You no longer have to assume. :) In fact, I think people look forward (with great anticipation) to reading your posts (at least if they're anything like me, they do). :)

Carrie said...

I think editing your posts is just fine. If you remember I completely deleted one of my first posts, just a little bit after writing it. This is your journal, however public it may be, and you're allowed to do anything you want with it.

Jana said...

Darn. I am so sad to have missed the unedited version. Especially feeling fairly confident that I can put faces to names. I am the sad one. See me thriving on gossip? Help us! I agree, edit if you must. But I want to get some serious laughs so you better make the sugar coated stories funny! Boo horror. (that is a special typo for you!) I am keeping myself real. :) And thank you for updating your blog. I have become addicted! Yikes.

Brooklet said...

Thanks everyone for your advice- though Heather, I have often been tempted to edit my journal from college, because one day my kids will read it and some things I am way to embarrassed to have them read what an idiot I was/am.

I will try to be better about gossiping (not better as in more skilled, but better as in not doing it) but I can offer no guarantee- I still like to vent and the blog will most likely bare the brunt of the venting!!

Welcome Jana! You could have put faces to names, which is why I had to edit, but you really didn't miss much- I have told you all of it already.

PRP said...

You should absolutely feel free to do whatever you want on your blog, since, you know, it is YOUR BLOG. But hopefully you won't censor too much of yourself because anyone who knows you knows you could never be unkind, and your "true" posts CRACK ME UP. You're a gifted writer and a fabulous person, so be your true self. We'll still love you. And the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Monica said...

I have comtemplated going back and editing a few of my posts too, And maybe someday I will. And the reason why I would ever want to do that is because I don't want myself or other people to read it in a few years from now and say, "What an idiot!" What, Monica and idiot? Unfortunately, yes, it's true. But even worse than that, I wish I could go back and edit some of the things I have said to people. I don't have a whole lot of adult interaction during the day (OK, really none) so when I am actually with someone to visit with, it all just comes spewing out. All of a sudden, I have no internal monologue and I say anything and everything and sometimes it comes out all wrong and idiotic and blah blah blah. To bad there wasn't a special delete button for that. Or maybe I should just invent a "Brainsweep" or a "Whisperer" that says "take everything Monica says with a grain of salt. She really doesn't mean it the way it sounds. Monica is totally Awesome."

Melissa said...

Hey Brooke, I don't know if you remember me, but I was doing a little "blog-hopping" today and found you through Liz's site who I found through a friend of a friend...actually I can't remember how I found you. But sorry if this freaks you out. I'm Melissa (Miller)Burr- I lived next door to you in M Smith at BYU. Anyway, It was fun to look at your blog. Have a great day!

Brooklet said...

I feel the same way, MOnica- a way to go back and change what I said in real life. There are still things I said in six grade that I cringe at when I think about it now. And nice reference to the MBS.

Welcome Melissa! How random you found me, through a blog of a blog of a blog! I couldn't find your blog, but I noticed you lived in OK- how did you end up there and what are you up to?

Unknown said...

I second Jana's comment. :) Oh, and I LOVE reading your blog, Brooke. Keep the entries coming!