Friday, June 29, 2007

Waiter, There's a Nest in My Soup!

I now know what it is like to live in soup. That's right, soup. It is my personal Dementor and it sucks all the happiness, energy, and any hope for the future right out of me. We have had a wave of humidity here that makes Pittsburgh feel just like Cancun, minus the nice beaches, drunk high schoolers, and bongs-for-sale every where. We have gone to the pool several times this week in order to escape the semi-unbearable armpit that we find ourselves in, but we are often chased away by the predictable afternoon thunder storm. A few days ago we were only in the pool for 30 minutes when a storm roared its flashy head. We had paid $12 for a 1/2 hour of relief, and we walked away feeling it had been worth it.

I am also nesting. Isn't that a nice word for such an event? This is "an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world." So says the internet. But it's what I have been doing. I don't think I did this with Claire, but I have definitely been displaying all the signs of a brooding hen- I have been a homebody; I have been obsessed with disinfecting my house; I threw away Claire's old broken, dirty dresser and bought another one; and I have started washing all of the baby's clothes and putting them in their rightful place (the super cute dresser I bought!). Unfortunately, the actual task of getting this house spotless is impossible- first off, I have a three year old and a husband so everyday I have to start the whole cleaning process over from the beginning. Second, working in soup slows the soul down. And third, my body can only take so much anymore. But everyday I do feel a sense of control and accomplishment as I tackle little tasks- collecting little pieces of straws and grass in the hopes of eventually having a beautiful little nest for our baby- too bad the baby has to be greeted by this wonderful can of Pittsburgh soup when she comes.

I leave for vacation in a few days and this is all I have to say for those who will be housing me and my family- I expect the AC to be blowing, blasting, bombarding, so much so that everyone else will have to wear sweaters and sleep with baked potatoes in their beds to stay warm. That's all I ask.

10 comments:

Liz said...

Come hang out at our house, Brooke! We keep the A/C at 75 during the day and 73 at night! I can't imagine what you must be going through...oh wait, yes I can. I lived in Ohio for a summer once upon a time. I HATED it! The humidity, I mean. It was horrid. It's like swimming through warm water all day long, where ever you go...it's inescapable. Yuck. Well, you'll enjoy our dry, arid, deserty heat I guess. :)

Shells said...

Since Cody is going to be a dentist, you should consider moving to Orange County. You could afford it. The weather is absolutely perfect. 60's in the winter and 70's in the summer. So far, the high this summer has been 80. It's not even a humid 80, it is just 80. I don't think I have ever actually experienced humidity. I'm sure Dad has the thermostate set at 70 degrees, so you should at least be very comfortable at Mom and Dad's for a few days. I experienced the nexting instinct with Mike after he was born. I was obsessed with getting my apartment clean and organized. Mom thought I was funny and kept trying to get me to just sit down and relax, but I wanted to get everything organized (of course, I left doing dishes and scrubbing the toilets for Mom, isn't she the best?)

The New Harkers said...

Don't worry Brooke. Your dad always has the AC on...always. Sometimes I feel like I am freezing, but I think everywhere is too cold. I hate humidity as well. Every time I go to visit my sister in Chicago I feel like I need to change my clothing at least 5 times a day. Ugh. My sister-in-law loves it. She grew up in Delaware and whenever she comes back from visiting her family she says that she feels dried out. Well I would rather be dried out than sticky and wet. See you soon.

Jessica said...

You are a brave soul, Brooke. Your entry reminds me of my days in St. Louis. But, humidity is a good thing. It keeps your skin nice and moisturized and your hair...well, not straight. Oh well. Have a great vacation and stay cool!

tharker said...

Our house will be a nice cool 73 degrees awaiting your arrival. Not that you are actually staying HERE, but at least you can know that when you do come by, you will be chillin'!

OH, I CAN HARDLY STAND THE WAIT! ALL OF YOU NEED TO COME NOW!!!!!!!! I am soooo excited to see everybody!!!!

Jana said...

I hear ya! Boo on Pittsburgh weather. I remember being pregnant in the summer and feeling all alone and sad in this miserable humidity. And fat. And I know I felt like my husband is so insensitive. . . "DON'T TOUCH ME!" Why can't they just back off!!! :) I am sad that you are leaving, but glad I will be gone as well. Let's go to the rained out pool together when you get back. Then we can each spend a ridiculous amount of money on a rather pathetic kids pool, only to get rained out of. Or should I say thundered out of? Since half the time it never really rains. How annoying can it get?!

Monica said...

Glad you could come over for a bit the other day. I hope you are staying plenty cool.

Brooklet said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the airconditioning here in Utah so far. I am bracing myself for three days of camping in the hot outdoors though. I know it was my idea to go camping, but its a lot easier said during the winter.

Melissa said...

I hope you had fun in Utah. Yeah we live in Oklahoma now- my husband is getting his PHD here but he also grew up here so he knew that is where we were going to live. I love it though, it is a great place to live. My sister just moved to the east coast- she lives in Buffalo. Good luck with the new baby!

Jessica said...

Brooke...we are just wondering how you are feeling. Anything noteworthy happening around there? Take care.