Monday, May 21, 2007

Ultimate Betrayal

Claire and I had a real busy day, shopping for flowers and then planting them!! I am so excited, but that is for another post altogether. She didn't have a nap today and she worked real hard outside in the dirt and mud, helping me plant flowers. So I brought her in, gave her bath and combed out her hair. It was near bedtime, so I knew she was super sleepy and really touchy- meaning anything could set her off into a full scale, nuclear meltdown. As I was combing her wet hair, I decided it was time to give her another haircut. Just a trim to help even things out. So I told her I was going get the scissors and cut her hair. She started to whine that she didn't want to cut her hair, yada yada yada, I took the scissors, hid them down the back of my pants, and walked back to her telling her to stop whining. I put her in front of the tv and took out the scissors. I told her I was just combing her hair, but I started to cut about an inch off. After I was done, she turned and looked at my lap and saw her hair on it and she asked, in the most disbelieving, sad, betrayed voice, "Is this my hair? Did you cut my hair?" She takes a little handful, as her mouth assumes full pouting mode and her eyes start to fill with tears, and puts it back on top of her head and says, through her tears, "Put it back." Needless to say, she cried for about 15 minutes, repeating over and over, "I want my hair back." So sad.

She is in bed now, all calmed down and I am sure that she has already forgotten it. It was necessary, it looks better, but I do feel a bit sheepish about my betrayal- but sometimes, I just gotsta do what I just gotsta do.

9 comments:

Shells said...

Ohhh, that is too sad. And how cute that she tried to put it back on her head (although in the back of my mind, I'm thinking "oh no, I bet that was a fun mess to clean up.") Great idea of distracting her with television while you cut her hair. I may have to try that one.

Heather said...

That's the trick I use too!! Although Kaden never asks for it back on his head, he usually asks why I didn't make him bald like Howie.

tharker said...

Way to go Brooke. Now your daughter will never be able to watch TV again without feeling traumatized! J/K.

Josh and Jake both hate getting their hair cut. Josh whines through the entire thing, and Jake screams so loud that I'm sure the neighbors think that someone is being murdered over here!

Monica said...

That is so sad. I bet her haircut looks good though. I bet your garden looks great too. Ben used to hate getting his hair cut - he would cry and get a lot of snot, and then the hair would stick to the tears and snot, and then it would get itchy, and he would start smearing it all over his face and then start crying even more. Good times.

Liz said...

Ha ha ha! Oh man. Kids are funny. Soren always wants me to fix things that just can't be fixed. He'll have a meltdown if his granola bars break in pieces and he freaks out until I "fix them," which consists of squishing them back together and hoping they don't come apart again before he finishes eating them. :) You're right, though, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. And like you said, she's probably already forgotten about it. I'm anxiously awaiting your blog on the garden. I wish I had a place for a garden!

Brooklet said...

She hasn't quite forgot about it yet. She woke up and came into my room this morning, saw the rocking chair where I cut her hair, and said, Where is my hair? Did you cut my hair? But I quickly distracted her before she could start crying.

And what a sick, sad, series of events, MOnica! Sounds like a part of children's book.

Claire does the same thing as Soren- If I cut her apple when she doesn't want it cut, if her string cheese gets torn in half, she will start crying and telling me to fix it, totally not appeased by whatever I try to do.

Brooklet said...

Oh, and heather, I say if Kaden knows who Howie is, I'd say he is watching too much DOND!!

Carrie said...

Oh, I wish that Alyssa would sit still for a hair cut! We've tried the tv thing, the Grandma holding her head thing, none of it really works. She is getting older though, so she's starting to at least try to hold still.

I feel so bad for Claire, but I'm sure she'll forget about it soon.

The New Harkers said...

Hey Brooke I have been trying to get ahold of you these last few days, call me.