Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Moment to Brag, Please

One of my favorite things in the whole world to do is to design projects in my head. For instance, I get the Pottery Barn catalogue strictly for ideas- I have never actually bought anything from there, but I love their stuff. I think of ways I can make it, or even change it to make it more mine. For me there is a certain excitement and satisfaction of planning and preparation to create the idea that I envision in my head. However, that satisfaction is often short lived as I actually attempt to create the so called idea. It usually turns out not how I pictured it, and I always feel a bit deflated. On rare occasions it turns out as a success and I think its those few success stories that rally my mind back into planning more projects.
Well yesterday was just such a day! Be prepared, for their is some unabashed and unashamed bragging in this following paragraph. Again, I feel no shame. I was hosting another baby shower (third one in the last two months) and I wanted to make a hooded towel for her. I wanted to make a full size one that the baby could use into the toddler and little kid phase. My friend had one that her mom had made for her, so I borrowed it to get figure out how it was sewn together, and then I added some additional touches, which really was the clincher. I was nervous as I was making it, because I just didn't want to mess up and make it look cheap and home made. Well when I was finished, BOY was it cute! Not just a little cute. . . super cute!

So at the shower, I was really excited to see her open her gift and hope that she would be as impressed with it as I was (again, unabashed vanity). And she did!! I had a great reaction from her! That is the best. I have given plenty gifts where the opener likes it and say, "Oh, thanks. That's so cute, blah, blah, generic blah." But what makes gift giving worth it is the few times that your gift was right on, where the receiver has a true genuine reaction of appreciate for the gift. That was last night for me. She liked it. She really liked it!


So just to prove what a real geek I am, last night as I got in bed, I stayed awake thinking about the gift for like an hour! What!! Get over myself. It was just so cute!


And that concludes the confessions of a braggaholic gifter. Until next time. . .




I am so proud of it, I even took pictures!

And I am also extremely proud of my model, Claire. Isn't she cute. (she is currently downstairs yelling at the Backyardagains to "Stop singing. I am sleeping.")

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Brooke, that really is adorable. You have every right to brag.

Monica said...

That is a really cute towl. Good job. It is OK that you are so proud of it. Is that ribbon? or terry cloth strips? I love the flower on the top. Claire made a great model. For a second, I wasn't sure who that was because her hair looked too dark to be Claire's.

Brooklet said...

It is ribbon. I wish you could see the detail, because the pink ribbon has little butterflies on it. I, too, love the flower. I was most worried about how that would turn out, and I was pleased with the results. Thanks!

::lindsay said...

That towel is just too cute! You are so talented, Brooke!

Shells said...

Soooo cute. Now, of course, I want the pattern.

tharker said...

I love the flower! Way to brag Brooke, you deserve to!

PRP said...

I'd like to order three...one for a boy, aged 7, one for a girl, aged 4, and one for a baby girl, you know, to have on hand, just in case....to give for a gift, or something.

Brooklet said...

Oh, I will totally make some for you, Karen, because they are so fun to make. Do you have any preferences on colors and embellshments?

PRP said...

ARE YOU SERIOUS???? I was totally joking but now I'm all in! I'll leave it to your fantastic creative eye..just keep your receipts and I'll reimburse you for materials and labor. YOU ROCK!

Jana said...

I am LOVING reading this. And I hope you are talking about my reaction to the towel, but am sure it was Debi's. Booo!!! Even though I loved it way more! It really is THAT cute. Too funny.