Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Brrrr, Happy Valentines Day!

I know this is a bit belated. I offer no apologies.

We are still alive, still kicking, and still have all of our digits after being subjected to severe winter weather. Last week we didn't rise above freezing once, plus we received more than our fair share of snow, the freezing rain, then more snow- and none of it melted since we didn't get close to be above freezing. I had to go to the Doctor's office last week and we had to go the day after the ice/snow storm. My car had a 1/2 inch of solid ice all over it, topped of with a nice layer of snow. So I went out about 30 minutes than I normally would to start the car and hopefully defrost the ice. I came out 10 minutes later, and our defrost hadn't put a dent in the ice. So I put Claire in the car, grabbed the ice scrapper, and proceded for the next 15 minutes chipping off the ice- it was the most exercise I had had in a long time! So I finally get the ice off the windows. I get in the car, try to move, and realize I am snowed into my spot on the side of the road. So I get out, run back to my house, grab the shovel and shovel my way out. 10 minutes later, I finally get out and realize my battle has just begun. The roads were literally the worst roads I had ever driven on. It was afternoon, and the streets still had several inches of snow and slush- no sign of pavements- even at the intersections and main roads. But we made it on time and without incident. After being frozen for almost 3 weeks, I have decided I am done!! I am done with winter!!! I broke out my flower books and I am busy planning away my garden for the summer. Its my escape.

On Valentine's day, the roads were terrible, again, and Cody had a snow day from school. So we finally decided to take Claire out in the snow and let her play. It was quite a production to get all our winter clothes on- since we basically have never used them- but Claire loved being outside. The snow wouldn't pack, and there was a layer of ice over everything, so it wasn't super fun, but she enjoyed it. We dragged her in about 45 minutes later, because we were freezing, so we figured she must be too. But she kicked and screamed the whole way inside. Tough cookies, .



It was nice to have Cody home on Valentine's day to just hang out and relax. He had sent me flowers, which just made the snow day all the more cozy.


And as a special late valentine's suprise, today I received a box full of valentines and candy from an old friend (I say old because she is almost 30!!). Monica sent me a box of valentines, tons of valentines, to make up for a previous valentines fiasco from almost two decades ago. I figure we are completely square now and my lawyer has advised me to stop bringing it up in my blogs or I could face legal action.



I hope you all had a great valentine's week, and I envy you who are already getting spring weather!! But to look on the bright side, today was 40 degrees in Pittsburgh, and it felt like heaven. Soon the snow will be gone, and the bulbs will pop up and let the gardening begin!!

7 comments:

tharker said...

I'm so glad to see you again! I love the picture with the roses. Super sweet. Hang in there, spring is on it's way...who knows when...but it's got to come soon right!

Shells said...

Brooke, thanks for the post, glad to hear that all is well. So, did Cody make the cards and the wedding picture that I see? Or was that your creation?

Monica said...

So, Brooke....I just talked to YLF and I was reminded of another scam that took place during our childhood. It involved some stamps and a lifetime of foot rubs....I am glad I don't have to make any reparations with that...

Monica said...

I love the picture of Claire. She looks like she is enjoying the snow. Another thing, and please forgive me (that includes you, MHC) when I saw this picture, it reminded me of a picture of another small girl that had fallen asleep in an unusual spot still mostly dressed in winter wear. I don't know why I think that. Maybe it's because it is late and I am being silly, or maybe it is because of how she is squatting. I don't know....

Brooklet said...

You know, I was under the age of 8 when I made that agreement, which as you all know is under the age of accountability. So tough meat Dad.

The cards and wedding picture thing, I made it. It was the only bit of decorating for V-day that I did.

I can see how that pic looks like MHC- except she was in blue snow wear, right?? With a fake fur rimmed hat??

Carrie said...

Maybe I'm starting to look harder at your pictures, now, but I love the color of your dining room walls. It's a beautiful green.

Brooklet said...

Thanks, its sage green- it took several weeks to pick out the color, and then when we painted it, we didn't really like it, and now I love it!