Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Perspective

I went to the mall a couple of days ago with Cody and Claire. It's what we do for fun here in the winter because it has an indoor playground that Claire plays on. So while we were there, I stopped in to look at a couple different clothing stores and home decorating stores. I have a certain style that I would like to dress and a certain look that I want to decorate my house with. My problem is I see things that I like but they are too expensive. I can't bring myself to pay a lot of money for clothes or for decorations. So I usually don't buy anything and then I get worried and discouraged about money and how hopeless it seems that I will ever decorate the house they way I want it or dress everyday the way I envision myself.

So this morning, I worried a little bit about money, and then I worried a little bit about my friend, and then I worried a bit about how unorganized my linen closet is, and then I got a phone call telling me that a gi rl in our ward was just diagnosed with a brain tumor and that she has a 15% chance of living. She is roughly my age and just had her first baby four months ago. I was floored when I heard the news. Its inoperatable so they are going to start an aggressive round of chemo treatment next week, but the prognisis is not good. Immediately it put everything in persepective for me. It made me feel so silly and tired about worrying about decorating my house! It made me forget about the silly thing my friend had said. It made me think about what it would be like to hear you probably won't be around to watch your infant son grow up; you probably won't grow old with your husband. Her visiting teacher told me that when she talked to her this morning, she sounded upbeat and positive. So what exactly was I worrying about?

4 comments:

tharker said...

Wow Brooke, that really does put it in perspective. I can't imagine what that woman must be thinking or feeling right now. Hearing about something like this really does make almost everything else seem silly doesn't it. I hope that she and her family are able to find the comfort and peace that they need right now. Thanks for sharing this with us Brooke.

Carrie said...

Holy cow, that is so sad. Sometimes my morbid brain will wonder about getting in car accidents and hoping that if anything were to happen to any of us, I would prefer it to be me instead of the kids, but that would be so sad to know that your child might grow up without you. I hope she defies the percentage they gave her and makes it through okay.

Monica said...

This story makes me so sad. I hope your friend pulls through OK. I really appreciate my kids a lot more now. I am so grateful for the time that I have with them.

Shells said...

When I hear stories like this, I always feel bad for complaining about things that are really just so silly.