Friday, December 29, 2006

Not Waiting for the New Year

I did it!!! I finally did it!! Almost exactly two years since I first pulled out the 30 year old paragraph, almost 2 years since my bed-ridden dad, stir crazy mom, and I brainstormed the whole story, a year and a half since I finished writing my story, over a year since I had it edited by two professional editors, and six months after I started researching publishers, I finally sent off my manuscript. Now begins the long, long process of waiting- waiting, waiting, waiting.

For those that don't know, I wrote a children's book. It was so much fun to write and the most exciting thing for me was how involved my family was. It all started two years ago, when Cody and I were living at my parents house, and my dad hurt his back, the day after Christmas. He was bedridden for over a month, and for those who know my dad, he cannot stand to be still for more than an hour. So one day, I was keeping him company when I pulled out his file of ideas- mostly pictures that he would one day like to paint. But I pulled out a paragraph of a story that my mom and him had started writing years and years ago. It was a cute, magical little story that I had seen before, but never really given much thought to. But as we were all sitting in my dad's room, trying to keep him company, I decided we should finish this story. So my mom, dad, and I started brainstorming and we came up with an outline to finish off the story. It really brought my dad to life, creating the story. So I took that outline and I spent the next couple of months writing the story, afraid to show anyone my work because I am kinda known as a terrible writer. There are only two people's reaction's that I remember when they first read my story. I was about 3/4 of the way done when I read it to my dad. I was really worried that it would be one of those awkward moments, when he would listen to my writing and then have to feign excitement at my horrible writing. But he was actually really excited about what I had so far- rough as it was. That was a great bit of encouragement for me. Then when I finished my story, I sent it to my sister, Monica, to give me some advice and edit it for me. She called as soon as she had read it and said she loved it- I could tell in her voice that she was really excited about it. She gave some great advice and a lot of the story has some of her original writing and ideas in it. We edited over and over and over as a family. I think that's why this story is pretty special to me, because it created a lot of great memories with my family.

Well, sorry to blab on and on. I just am excited, and I talk a lot when I am excited! I will keep you updated on what happens and you can cry with me through my rejection letters, and celebrate with me when it actually gets published!! Have a Happy New Years.

4 comments:

Monica said...

Brooke, it really is an amazing story with a good moral to it. I am really anxious to see what happens with it. And I darn well better be the 2nd person (after mom and dad) that you call with news of any kind from the publishers.

tharker said...

And I darn well better be the 7th! Not that 7 has any particular meaning, just thought I'd be behind a few people! I'm so excited for you that you sent it off. We love your story and I can't wait to one day soon read it to my kids at night.

The New Harkers said...

Thats really cool Brooke

PRP said...

Tiffani has told me how great it is so I can't wait to get my own copy. What an accomplisment! You should be proud.