Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Who Am I?

So old reputations are hard to get rid of. When I was younger, my dad use to tease me and one of my other sisters by calling us Anastasia and Drusila, while calling my third sister, Cinderella. I know, I can hear your outrage. He would call us this because me and my sister would gang up on the other sister. But it never really bothered me, because lets face it, Cinderella met and fell in love with a man who chose her based on her dress and her beauty, who hardly spoke a word to her before he proposed, and all of this happened within 24 hours! That's not the fairy tale for me.

Today, Claire and I were playing a Cinderella game. She tells me she wants to dance to the hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm song (So this is love), and I hold her hands and sing the words of the song. After the song is over, she immediately takes off running, looking back to make sure I am running after her shouting, "wait Cinderella, come back!" She gets a big laugh out of this. So after one of these chases, I decide its time for me to finish washing the dishes. Claire isn't happy that I cut short her game, so she comes up to me and says, "Come on, come here, Anastasia, come here." Apparently Claire has inherited a lot from her grandpa! Or, maybe I really am Anastasia material (I am starting to think that she got the short end of the stick in the story). But I don't worry about this at all, because I take stock in the fact that I am so obviously Laura Engles Wilder, and Elizabeth Bennett in their respective stories :-)

4 comments:

Shells said...

For those of you who may not know Brooke, let me explain a few things. She is a lot like Anastacia from Cinderella because she has big feet. That is the only common characteristic that I can think of, because Brooke is not stuck up, not proud, has a good singing voice, and she does all of the house work in her home and takes care of others. I'm allowed to make fun of Brooke's big feet, because since having a baby myself, my feet are the same size as hers. I think I have more in common with Anastacia than Brooke.

Brooke is a good mix of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Elizabeth Bennet. Laura grew up in a little house on the prairie, loved the outdoors, ran around with barefeet, and had a healthy imagination. That is Brooke, minus the prairie part, although we grew up on an acre lot full of bushes and trees which now feels like a prairie. Anybody who has read Brooke's witty blog has no need of explanation as to how she is like Elizabeth Bennet, one of the most beloved characters in all of literature.

And this concludes my mini book report.

tharker said...

Thanks for the "Cliff Notes" Shells! Brooke is definitely "Lizzy" if there ever was one!

Brooklet said...

Wow shells--what you said is really nice and that means a lot to me- though you have never been an Anastasia character yourself. And whenever I read Mansfield Park, I definately put you as Fanny Price, but back in high school when you were more shy. Always so thoughtful to what is right and always aware of propriety.

Monica said...

Boy, I hope I am not Druscilla. Or Mary, Lydia, or Kitty. Brooke, love the views on Cinderella. I never thought of it that way. At least I know that my husband didn't marry me based on my dress or beauty or foot size.