Tuesday, November 07, 2006

An Open Shut Case

Well, I think it rightly about the time for another highs and lows for the week posting. Last time I did a high and low, it was right after I had completed my high-which inspired me to write. This time, unfortunately, it is right after the low.

So lets start with the low and get it over with. My life is an open book- I've never done anything wrong. . . except I did try to jump over the tennis net when I was in 7th grade, and I didn't make it. . . I don't know if it's just that Claire has been sick for two weeks, or that she has been indoors for two weeks, or that she is just two- but I am having a difficult time with her right now. Everything is a fight- put on your pants- big fight- let me comb the boogers out of your hair- big fight- let me blow your nose-okay, she likes to blow her nose- mom eating string cheese when Claire doesn't want her to-big, big tantrum. It has worn me thin and today I flipped out! I yelled at her and stuck her in her room because I was going to lose it big time. Then when I calmed down, I started to feel completely ashamed that I had lost my temper in such a deplorable fashion. It was one of those moments where you don't recognize yourself- I never wanted to be a mom that lost control and yelled. I blame it on hormones, because when in doubt, blame it on hormones. As further proof that it was hormones, let me tell you what happened when I voted today. I went to vote for the first time, ever. I know that's bad since I have had 7 years of voting opportunity. But I was excited at the prospect of actually voting and being a part of the democratic process that our nation is known for (well, that and John Travolta). So as I am standing in the infant room, waiting my turn to vote, watching the other voters, I was caught up in the thought that these people cared enough to come out and vote. I got teary eyed!!! I got teary eyed at the polls? I am nutsos and thoroughly convinced the hormones were throwing a quiensenera in my body today.

So the high. . . the high for this week? This is a bit trickier to come up with. Its hard to remember the things I am proud about when I have just sunk to such a low. I am going to say that the high point of this week is the distinct feeling of Christmas coming!! Last week we had our first frost which, I am sad to say, killed off the last of the impatiens. I love fall, but there is a certain sadness that comes when the yard closes up shop for the winter. This means an end of going to parks, an end of outdoor tete-a-tetes with my friends, an end of flowers, and an end of jacket-free days! But it also means a beginning of sweaters, a beginning of Christmas music, a beginning of hot cocoa and cinnamon rolls, and the beginning of it being okay that I am completely without a tan. I remember standing in the middle of the Law parking lot at BYU my first year, almost in the middle of the night, and for a split second catching the scent of Christmas- I don't know what it was, but in that split second I felt a whoosh of happiness and coziness that this time of year brings. Well, I have caught the scent here and I am blasting the Christmas music, buying sweaters (they are fabulous, by the way), and restraining myself from setting out the Christmas decorations until at least the day after Thanksgiving.

So that's the complete, unadulterated truth (Yessss! I have always wanted to use that word!!). I am probably more honest than my ego would like me to be, but I have always liked living like an open book. I just hope you don't get too disgusted with me and close the book!!

16 comments:

PRP said...

Just to make you feel better, I want you to know that I actually YELLED at a kid last week for having a runny nose...is that stellar or what? Don't be so hard on yourself. You're a fabulous mom and Claire knows it. We all have those days.

And I can't wait for Christmas either!!

tharker said...

What's with all the hormones Brooke? I love that you got teary eyed at the election poles! What a Patriot you are.

I think it's enevitable that once in a while we all turn into that mom that we don't even recognize. It's the crappiest feeling in the world. The greatest thing about it though is how forgving kids are. I love it that my children are always willing to give me a second chance. I guess it's a page I need to take from their book more often.

Shells said...

I believe Tom voted yesterday for the first time in his life as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with diapers and clothes and a baby. Michael refuses to sit still or even to stay on his back while I change his diaper. Whenever I put him down, the very first thing he does is roll over onto his tummy and try to escape. That tends to be a problem when he is on top of the changing table.

Carrie said...

Oh Brooke, we all have those moments. Alyssa is like the little girl who, when she was good she was very very good and when she was bad she was very very bad. We were having a month of bad moments, and I wasn't sleeping at nights because of Ethan. I can't even remember what Alyssa did, but I completely lost it. I sent her to her room and whalloped (note that: whalloped, not spanked) her bottom, and slammed the door. I felt so bad afterward. Believe me, we've all been there.

On the high note: I'm so excited that you're feeling Christmas already. I know exactly what you mean. I also love that first moment each year that it smells like it's going to snow. We're very much in the autumn mode right now, but I still can't wait to put up Christmas decorations.

Monica said...

Brooke, Brooke. I bet you can remember every instance where you have "lost it" (and I don't mean the hysterical laughing episodes that our dear mother has forced us to endure). Those moments are so few and far between that they stick out like sore thumbs in your brain, and I am sure you cringe every time you think about them. Some people lose it so often that all their "losing it" instances blend in together, and they don't even feel guilty about those moments anymore. Aren't you glad you don't fit into that category? We all have bad days, and hopefully we learn something from them. I know you are an excellent mother, and Claire is lucky to have you. Just a second while I go and grab a Kleenex...drip, drip...wipe.

Monica said...

p.s. I also love Christmas. I love the crisp fall air that leads up to Christmas. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

Brooklet said...

Thanks for your uplifting and often funny comments. They make me feel better!

Brooklet said...

But nobody mentioned the clue quote. . .

Monica said...

It was totally obvious. I was trying to give other people the chance to comment on it first.

Shells said...

okay, okay, tell us what it is. I thought I knew everyline of clue, but you have proven me wrong.

Monica said...

Michelle, are you kidding?? It is something that Mrs. Peacock said after dinner when Wadsworth revealed that they are all being blackmailed. Come on, think.

tharker said...

I've only seen Clue one time, but what the heck...I'm going to venture a guess. "I've never done anything wrong. My life is an open book". If that's not right then you can all continue to scorn me for not being an avid Clue freak!

Monica said...

hey, who are you calling a freak?

tharker said...

All but one of you....heeheehee

tharker said...

Ok Brooke. It's Sunday and we haven't heard from you since Tuesday! I'm going into withdrawl again.

tharker said...

It's been a week...Just thought I'd put that out there!