Saturday, September 24, 2011

New York in July

Sooooo. . . way back in July I went on another trip to New York City. It was kind of a last minute trip (last minute, as in I planned to go a month before, but in my world, that is last minute) and I am so glad I had the chance to go. Not necessarily to see the big city, but because I was so fortunate to have great company on my trip.

Let me start at the beginning on how this whole thing came to be. My friend Gina, announced that she was moving to New Jersey for two months with her husband and kids, while her husband received job training there. So, like the good friend I am, I invited myself to stay with her and her family in their apartment in New Jersey, just right across the river from NYC. My friends Jana and Libby M, also invited themselves to Gina's apartment, and boy, did we ever have such a fun time.


(This was the view from Gina's apartment. Pretty darn cool.)

It was a quick weekend trip, but we fit in a few shows, some good food, and some great late night talks. This was my third trip to New York City and probably my least favorite "touristy" wise, because it was in July and it was HOT. The only real attraction we toured was the Brooklyn Bridge (because I once read a 600 page book on how it was built and I have an infatuation with the place). We walked up the Brooklyn Bridge, took pictures and turned back to find some air conditioning, stat.

We did go see two Broadway shows. The first was Jersey Boys, which I loved, LOVED the music (it's the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons), but the language was bad. In all my Broadway play experiences I have never been to one with bad language. So just be warned if you decide to go.

The second play, Billy Elliot, I did not like at all. Rated R in language alone, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the music or the story.

But what did not disappoint was the great time I had with my friends. Seriously, we haven't lived in the same state for two years now, but whenever we get together, it is as if nothing has changed. They are still so much fun to be around.

Oh, and the food. How could I almost forget??!! This was probably the yummest NYC trip for me so far. We ate breakfast at Norma's (I had the Banana Macadama Nut Pancakes- good grief, they were good), we ate an Eataly (such good Italian food, definitely recommend that). We ate pizza at Grimaldi's in New Jersey (right next to the store where Cake Boss is filmed). We had burgers and shakes at the Shake Shack, and donuts from Doughnut Plant. All of it--yummy.

And I didn't take a camera with me on my trip, so I have no pictures to prove I actually did any of this. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

3 comments:

Libby said...

Loved every minute too! I miss you guys! I guess I was supposed to send pictures- I'll get on that ASAP.

tharker said...

To say I am crazy jealous that you have been to NYC not once, not twice, but THREE times would be a slight understatement. ;)

No really, I think it's so cool that you've been able to travel so much while living back east. So glad you had a great time!!

Jana said...

Such a great trip!!! I can't wait for our next one is 3 weeks!!!!! :) I have a few pics of NYC and I will send them. Maybe. :)