Tuesday, November 16, 2010

In the News

So I was on the news.

Normally when I watch people being interviewed on TV, and I am talking regular people who don't normally appear on TV, I always think to myself, ". . .and that's what you chose to wear?" I know, so judgmental, right? Especially for one who often goes out in public looking pretty scrubby. But if I was appearing on TV, I would give some serious thought to what I chose to wear.

I definitely wouldn't have chosen my sparkly striped shirt that makes me look like I am trying to be 14.

And I would have done my hair. Just saying.

My friend, Adrienne, and I were at a park with our kids when we were accosted for a simple interview.

Now I have been interviewed once before on camera, back when I was in high school, for my best friend Bridget's documentary for her film class. When she finally showed us all her documentary, I was MIA in it. When I asked Bridget about it, she told me with the all the sensitivity befitting a best friend, "oh, yeah. I couldn't use any of it." Because I was that bad.

11 years hasn't made me any more eloquent. The interview went basically like this:

She asked a question- I sputtered like a doodlebug.

Then she asked another question- I buttered like a spoodledug

She asked Adrienne a question- Adrienne answered with complete and coherent thoughts.

She asked me another question (the interviewer is a slow learner)- I manage not to sputter like a doodlebug and get out a complete sentence. Unfortunately, I ended up quoting the cheesiest line known to mankind, and of course, that is what made it into the final cut. Since this was Alabama local news, I really wish I could have said something a lot more sensational, like "hide your kids, hide your wife, hide your husband. . . you are so dumb, you are really dumb, for real." Maybe next time.

I am on it a couple of times, so is my friend Adrienne, and so is, apparently, Erin, the secretary from The Office.

17 comments:

tharker said...

"You...complete...me" Did you say this to Cody when you got home from the park? :)

Just kidding, I really think you did a great job! (oh, and I almost bought that same sparkly top, but went with the one with sequins instead. i'm totally serious!)

And you're right. That doctor looks just like Erin from The Office! Good thing she's a lot smarter.

Elise said...

I thought you were sensational! They even used your cliche line to conclude their piece:)

Anyway, you were much better and well spoken than me on my last news debut in February. They asked me to comment on the snowy road conditions and most of what I managed to say was "and...you know". I didn't tell anyone except Dave about it. He recorded it and would play it over and over again and laugh incessantly. And at least you didn't say "just a smidge":)

Laurie said...

You looked cute! I would totally run away from anyone with a camera coming my way. I do not speak well when under pressure, or put on the spot, for example, every baptism I have ever attended as Primary President. Every.Single.Time I am asked to take a a few minutes to say something, I get really flustered, and am not sure what comes out of my mouth.

Heather said...

that was epic.

J-Leav said...

You've always been a stunning beauty, brooke! But I really agree, if you could have said something that they could have put into a rap remix..."We gonna find you..."

Shells said...

Wow! I wouldn't have laughed except that you set the video up so well. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Two siblings on TV this week. Eric was on national TV and you weren't; your face was very visible and Eric's wasn't.

Brooklet said...

What, I missed how Eric was on national tv- what?

Shells said...

HE was on Extreme Makeover, Home Edition. He helped frame a house for the show. You could see his backside (he was leaning over cutting some wood with a saw) for about a second. I knew it was him because 1. he told me he was going to be on it; 2. his plaid shirt sticking out from the EMHE t-shirt (he always wears plaid shirts), 3. his shoes; and 4. his build.

Mike Harker said...

I thought you looked great and spoke very calm and in control with your small her brain. I thought you could have at least quoted your pappy on the subject of he brains versus her brains, "a woman brain is more valuable even though it's smaller because it's not used as much. Some times never used".

yours truly with a larger but less valuable he brain,

pappy

libby said...

awww, so cute. I actually thought you were quite eloquent. And, you do complete each other, so what? :)

Amy said...

You are famous! You did an excellent job, it's no wonder they picked you. I love your pre explanation... you never cease to get me to laugh.

Liz said...

Yay! You made "separate but equal" a GOOD thing!! That was a fascinating news spot and it was SO fun to see you in there. I didn't hear any spluttering or spoodling or duddling or whatever. :D

Kelsey said...

Brooke you crack me up setting up for the video the way you did. I've seen that other crazy video before and I really can't believe they put so much of that guy on there but that's the local news for ya. You did great though! I would have run the other way.

Rachel said...

"separate but equal" seems perfect for Alabama news. You were sensational girlfriend. loved it.

Anonymous said...

You've seen this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw

In think you were great!

Christina

Y's creations said...

you can see Eric if you go to the Extreme Makeover Home Edition website. They play the back episodes. He was on the one from Pocatello, Idaho.
Dad & I missed him. It goes by pretty fast.
Did you know that you were on TV when I talked to you the other night?
You look great and you did a great job! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

Way to go! You guys did great, at least you used some intellectual words, unlike our "hide your kids" friend . . .