Friday, November 06, 2009

Bests and Worsts

It was the best of weeks; it was the worst of weeks.

Back in the golden days of blogging, my sister and I would write posts about the best and worst part of our weeks. I haven't done it in years, but I have had just such a week that showcased my embarrassing incompetence tucked in with the kinds of redeeming things that make life fine.

note: for perspective and clarification sake, this particular week happened two weeks ago.

Let's start with my moments of embarrassing incompetence. I have two, in the same week. I was a superstar that week. First off, I lost my credit card at a gas station. I have never lost my credit card before and the person who happened to find it decided they wanted to get some gas of their own, in three different gas stations, all on me. Sweet. Who uses a credit card that isn't theirs?? I know. That is a naive question. But thankfully, our credit card takes care of fraud charges. Unfortunately, that is only the first of two majorly dumb moments by me.

The second is potentially more costly. I backed our minivan into a parked car. Sweet. I was going super slow, and was actually in the middle of a seven point turn, and what resulted was a scratch in my bumper and a small, barely noticeable dent in the door of the other car. So I had to leave a note (because I am not the kind of person who puts dents in cars and then drives away and I am not the kind of person who uses other people's credit cards). Grrrrrr. That's all I have to say about that.

I did have a couple of high points that week, too. It was the week we went to Busch Gardens, and it was so much fun to watch my kiddos enjoy the rides (okay, mostly I watched Claire enjoy the rides, and Morgan just tolerate them). The second thing that week was a girls night I had with some gals from the ward. I hosted it here at my house and I was excited to have a good night of talking, laughing, swedish fish, and getting to know the woman here better. It didn't disappoint. I had such a good time and it was so refreshing. And. . . they all showed up with gifts for baby boy. My friend, Amy, had arranged a surprise baby shower for me. I was so surprised and touch. Not only was it very helpful in getting ready for the baby, but also it meant a lot to me that I have friends here that wanted to celebrate with me the coming of our little one.

That is comforting. It made the things that didn't go so right that week seem not quite so important. Thank you Amy.

10 comments:

Gina said...

Excuse me... I thought we discussed this. No new friends allowed! It makes me totally jealous! The surprise shower totally out-weighs the credit card and car! I can't believe Luke will be here so soon! EEE!

PRP said...

You are fantastic. With friends like the ones you have, at least the good outweighs the bad.

Swedish fish..yum!

::lindsay said...

What great friends!

Oh, and I backed scratched my van on the Sonic Menu Board so I feel your pain...

Jana said...

Yeah, I Thought we agreed.:) I am glad your girls night went well. I had one planned last week, and then texted everyone 2 hours before to cancel. See, I am keeping my end of the deal. :) I was also VERY tired and wanted to watch my shows in bed, by myself. And maybe eat some cookies too. Anyway, glad you had a little shower. I am sure it was everything we always know they will be! ;)

tharker said...

I've forgotten about the best of and worst of posts. Those were some of my favorites back in the golden days of blogging...

Sorry about your credit card. Dishonest people are stupid.

I'm sad about your pretty new van having a scratch on it. But, at least it wasn't worse.

Your mom told me about the surprise shower that your friends gave you, and I literally almost cried. I've been so worried, and hoping that your new ward takes good care of you and your sweet new baby boy. It looks like you're in great hands!

Bethany said...

At first I started reading this and thought...oh no! And then I continued and said...awe. Awe because we all know it can be at least a 2 year wait to get new friends in a new ward, unless your in a great ward. That is just awesome!
And oh no! Because if it wasn't the dent or the cc, I'm sure you had to tell the whole story to your husband, that would be the embarrasing part to me. Mine seams to be the biggest critic anyways.

JoDell said...

What a week! I'm terrified that I'll hit another car with our minivan...I'm still not used to the darned thing. I actually love driving it, just hate backing it out and parking it! I know what you mean by a seven point turn!

Good thing your week included a fun girl's night. Those always help to ease the pain of crashed cars and stolen credit cards. And, a surprise shower is always a nice plus. :) I can't believe you're going to have your baby boy so soon! Can't wait to see him.

Katie B.C. said...

I'm glad that you got a shower. That's great! Since I've been here in my Minnesota ward I've only gone to one baby shower so you're pretty lucky to have friends to throw you one. Sorry about the scratch. It seems that only new vehicles get scratched- both me and my husband scratched our new vehicles in the first couple of months that we had them. Arghh!

Amy said...

You're welcome. Girls night was a blast. I'm trying to get our next one on the calendar. Sorry about the bad, but it certainly does make the sweet sweeter.

Shells said...

I've been hitting things with my car for years. You get used to it.