Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Nesting?

I may or may not be nesting, but if I am, it isn't the clean up the house kind of nesting. It's the creative energy kind of nesting. I have been doing a lot of sewing and crafts lately. I am not at all prepared for the baby boy (for instance, my sewing area is where his nursery will be and nothing for his room has been set up, NOTHING). I am not super worried, even though I have less than two months. I am not worried but procrastinators don't worry until crunch time.

So here is one of the things I have been doing:


I have been having fun making these little fabric flowers- they are easy, pretty, and have so many uses. The first thing I used them for was making a belt to wear with my black dress. I only have one maternity dress and it is plain black. I get a little sick of wearing it the same way every week, so I made this sash to wear with my dress (and with some other shirts I have) to change it up a little bit. I really love the way it turned out.

(this fuzzy black shirt isn't my Sunday dress, but I wanted to show you what it looked like as a belt)



Here is my attempt at a self-portrait, but I couldn't get a very good picture of the belt. Hopefully you get the idea.

This is me, 32 weeks pregnant. I, of course, chose the most flattering angle as you all don't need to see the full gloriousness of all my weight gain.

These flowers are pretty easy to make. You just need some polyester fabric (I used this pretend-silk fabric, organza, and some tulle). Then you cut little circles, singe the edges with a lighter (polyester fabric curls when it gets burned). Then layer your circles together, sew them together while adding some beads, and presto. These can be used for belts, head bands, bobby pins, or put a safety pin on the back and put them anywhere.

PS: If you want a birdie sling, but have zero desire to make one, I have two friends that make and sell the slings. They even do custom orders- how cool are they!

Funky Threads
Sassy Seamstress

23 comments:

PRP said...

I don't want the birdie sling, I just want one of those belts. Of maybe you could send me the belt tucked inside the birdie sling. That would be even better.

Man your crafty. I love it!

Laurie said...

Dang, that is cute. By the way, I just got called as the Primary President in my ward. If you have any tips or words of wisdom, I COULD SO USE THEM!!!

Stacee said...

very cute and creative!!! I wish I was like that!!!

tharker said...

I NEED a belt to get me through the rest of this pregnancy. I can't stress the word need enough ;) It looks adorable, as do you of course!

We also have NOTHING set up for the baby's room. Good to see I'm not the only one.

Amy said...

Oh you look so cute! Love the flowers, they do sound easy to make but I bet mine wouldn't even come close to looking as good as yours. Do you have a name yet for the baby?

Kelsey said...

Super cute belt. It looks really chic on you. Thanks for sharing how to make them. I'm going to have to try it out now.

Laurie said...

Thank you!!

J-Leav said...

You look lovely!

JoDell said...

Very cute! It's good to know I'm not the only one who wears the same thing to church each week (okay, I have two outfits). I try to accesorize, but it just ends up making me look even more pregnant. :) I am tempted to order a birdie sling from Elise or Melanie, but I really would like to make one myself. Of course, by the time I get around to learning how to sew one, the birdie sling will be out of style! I should probably just pull out the Lincolns...

Cara said...

I love it with the black dress. So cute! When you mentioned the black maternity dress, I knew exactly what you were talking about. Mostly because I have the same one (if you remember) and we used to match so well. :)

Jessica said...

did i miss what the actual belt fabric is? ribbon?

you look darling as ever, good angle or not.

Shells said...

Looks good Brooke. Do you just tie it on? My problem is that if I put that belt on, I would look pregnant and I'm not. haha

Brooklet said...

the belt fabric is just ribbon and Shells, I have also seen the ribbon worn across the middle of the stomach and it looks very lovely like that too, if you are afraid of the empire waste line.

Jana said...

LISTEN!!! I seriously can't take missing out on all your creativity. It is driving me wild. We are making those flowers in Orlando. Just know that. Don't even think I am joking.

Elise said...

I whole heartedly agree with Jana. We'll have to find the closest Joann's to our hotel! Thanks for the blog plug:)

BusyMama said...

I don't know, you look pretty small to me. The belt is amazing. Truly. Does your creativity extend to picking a perfect boy name for us? ;)

Liz said...

Way cute, Brooklyn! Way cute. You are so creative. I am envious of your teeny, tiny pregnant arms, too. I get chubby everywhere when pregnant. You, on the other hand, appear to be one of those hateful women who only grow in the belly area, whilst remaining sickeningly skinny everywhere else. Could you send me some of your genetic makeup with my next order? :D

Gina said...

Totally do a tutorial in Orlando! I want to learn! Way cute!

Rachel said...

that belly is too good. you look fantastic and I envy your plum belt. I have a couple PLAIN black dresses. do I venture into domesticity? have you read Wuthering Heights? I'm sure you have. maybe I already asked. I am half way in and I am very pleased/disturbed. thoughts?

Laurie said...

Brooke, Those are awesome. It really did dress up your cute dress and congrats on your new up coming baby. I can't believe you will have three kids. Plus, they are already going to school. Thanks for the advice on the meals. :)

Pitcherpost said...

I need some more short and simple crafts to do and I'm OBSESSED with fabric flowers of any sort right now. And I'm in love with that purple color right now as well. So I love everything about those flowers!

I'm with Lizzie, boo on you and your teeny arms. My arms are the first thing to go when I'm pregnant. Ok second, first is my butt...

Laura Neill said...

Kelsey sent me over here to take a look- This is so darling! I think I might just have to find the time to make one for my prego belly too! I love how realistic the little petals look :)

tiraje said...

I am soooooo impressed! You have got to be one of the most talented people on the planet! PLUS, you are beautiful when you are pregnant! I miss you!