Thursday, June 11, 2009

The State that will Win Ya

Well, we are here, in Virginia, in our new home, enjoying the company of our air conditioner. We are finally all moved in and getting use to the layout, and getting use to the fact that it isn't Pittsburgh. You would think that would be fairly obvious, but there are little things that I didn't realize I would be missing about Pittsburgh, like their fabulous library system, and the rolling hills everywhere. And then there are the big things I knew I would miss, like my friends and my ward. I have yet to make friends here, though I know that takes time. Claire is amazing at making friends. I dropped her off at primary for the first time in our new ward, and she leaned over and tapped the girl on the shoulder who was sitting by her and said, "My name is Claire. What's yours?" Why can't I do that?

But being friendless has its perks. I am super on top of my laundry.

I notice that Virginia drivers have an exorbitant amount of personalized license plates, with little messages you have to decode. HMB4ME, GR8 KSR (with either means great kisser or great kaiser, i just don't know which). And I can't just look at a puzzle and not try to figure it out. I bet it causes a lot of accidents here.

I also keep seeing this bumper sticker that says, "Virginia is for lovers." How rude. How exclusionary. Does that mean there is no room for haters? Or what about me, I am a lover and a hater. For instance, I love air conditioning, but I hate bumper stickers. Where do I belong?

I like the feeling of just moving to a new place (though I hate the physical act of moving all our stuff, pughkk) because I like that everything is new to me. I like trying to find new routes, new locations, new people. And then in a year, when it all is familiar to me, it will be time to move again (okay, so maybe this whole moving thing is going to get old.) But for the time being, I will just adopt the Virginia state motto, "Sic Semper Tyrannis"- Thus always to tyrants (I don't quite know what it means either).



and this is Morgan, helping me stay on top of the laundry.

14 comments:

libby said...

Awww, Morgan's such a good helper!

I never figured out what the first license plate means... humb for me?

And, I'm so glad you're on top of your laundry. Interestingly enough, so am I. Does that mean I'm friendless too?

Elise said...

Morgan is too cute to boot! I love that she tried to shut the door.

I'm with you on hating bumper stickers. Maybe you're not a true Virginian (if that's what their called.) If you find your self saying your laundry 'needs washed' maybe your a true Pittsburger.

Libby said...

pittsburgh misses you...i miss you! life is boring here. you aren't missing anything- maybe that is bc you and everyone else aren't here anymore that i feel that way. sad.
i too am glad you are on top of your laundry...that is important. i wish i could say the same.

tharker said...

That is the cutest video ever! I love how happy she is to have her blanket with her in the dryer. What cute kid!! I can't believe how much she's changed. I guess she's not a baby anymore huh :( I can't wait to see you guys in August!!

Isn't moving so much fun?!

Rachel said...

that sure was cute! Luke thought it was a great idea. he's saying "someday I can be in the dryer." geez, thanks brooke :)

Kimo said...

Morgan is sure a cutie!

Libby said...

Just hearing your voice makes me happy, and sad. I know all about being friendless right now. But unfortunetly for me, my dryer broke so I have mounds of laundry. Target is reaping the rewards of that one. :) MISS YOU!!!!

Jana said...

That last comment was from me. I am staying at Libby's and didn't think to sign myself in. Sorry. :)

Michele said...

Brook your posts always make me smile and sometimes LOL and this one made me laugh! I hate moving, I hate new places, I hate when friends move...I guess I am just a hater.

Laurie said...

Awesome. I have to admit that post scared me a bit. My kids have never thought to climb in the dryer but once they do, I am sure another brother would turn it on. Yikes.

Liz said...

Ha ha! She looks so cozy in there!

I like bumperstickers. Not so much on my car, but they are good entertainment at a red light. :0)

JoDell said...

Cute Morgan! My kids we're cracking up--they wanted to watch the video again.

It's true about the personalized plates in VA! I didn't realized it was a statewide thing! Our neighbors have one that says, "UHEARDME." Still trying to figure out what they mean by that!

melanie said...

I'm so glad you have air conditioning. I am truly happy for you! You were always the most heat sensitive of my friends and to only have window units to boot! I'm sad that I won't get to check out your pad now that I won't be flying into Norfolk! I can't wait to see you!

Shells said...

I can't believe you have lived for so long without airconditioning. Congratulations and now enjoying it. I'm glad you made it safely. We missed you in Pasco. On our drives, Monica and I kept saying over and over how much we wished you could have come.

Loved the video.

when do you find out what you are having?