Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Master

My dad is an incredible artist. I have known that my whole life, since we had some of his artwork on display in our house. But he has really taken the last 30 years off from painting and drawing. He recently started devoting time to doing the art projects that he has been brain-storming, collecting, and planning for my entire life. He hasn't lose a touch of his genius. When I saw them for the first time, I was blown away at how good he is. His favorite medium is charcoal and he loves to draw people with interesting faces (i.e. wrinkles). I give to you his masterpieces.



This one has been hanging in our house for as long as I can remember.




This one was done years ago and then folded and stored in our basement forever.





This is one he recently completed. It is my favorite.

This is also a recent one.


This is a recent one, though he has been planning this one for a long, long time.
And he is still going, most recently completing this one:



15 comments:

libby said...

Wow. Those are incredible! THAT'S where you get your artistic eye. I especially love the extra eye one (there isn't really a prettier way to say that, now is there?).

Laurie said...

ummmm....wow! How cool to have an artist of that caliber in your family.

Bethany said...

My grandma does art...nothing like that...but, I have this one that hangs on my wall and I flipped it over the other day, and there I found a poem she wrote specifically for me! The art actually then had a purpose for me along with it's beauty.

Bethany said...

Your dads art is unbelievable! It says so much.

tharker said...

Mike is amazing! For a while, the Jewish man was my favorite, but now, the 3 African-American women are at the top of my list. I love the detail and emotion in each of their faces.

Cara said...

Wow. He really is amazing.

Kelsey said...

Wow I am blown away! I had no idea I had such an amazing artist living down the road from my parents!

Shelby said...

Those are amazing! I 2nd what Kels said about not knowing your dad had this kind of talent! Your dad is so cool.
I also want to tell you that I really love your blog Brooke, you are hilarious!
Shelby, Kelsey's sister

Rachel said...

whoa. those are amazing. I love the emotions in the eyes. Those are not just life like, they actually have life in them. amazing. i am blown away.

Michele said...

Wow! His charcoals are amazing!! I see the acorn hasn't fallen far from the mighty oak...you have such an artists eye!

Heather said...

What? Mike's totally been holding out. That's way better than that crazy thing he pulled out in sacrament that he SWORE would keep my kids quiet! love your dad.

Liz said...

Oh my gosh, Brooke. He is amazing. Simply breathtaking. The detail is exquisite and striking. I feel like I could talk to those drawings as if they are real people. Because I am a terrible artist, I cannot fathom how someone can recreate the crazy asymmetrical symmetry of the human face and body. Did you inherit any of this talent from your dad?

Radene said...

Those are pretty neat. Does he sell them or is it just a hobby?

~Amber jo~ said...

holly cow mike. i had no idea! i knew he did that sailor one, but i didn't know he still did it. that's super cool.

Hannah J said...

You should see his new one's