Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Hazards of Being Cute

So apparently Claire has a boyfriend. She doesn't know what that term is and she doesn't know that she has one. I didn't hear it from her. I heard it from the parent of one of Claire's friends at school. Shane. Shane's mom told me that Shane came home to her one day and announced that Claire has his girlfriend. His mom was a bit thrown for a loop since last year, Shane had announced that his girlfriend was Paige.

"What happened to Paige? I thought she was your friend."

"No, she is in a different class this year and I don't see her anymore. [long distance relationships are hard]. Claire is my friend now." Shane is pretty decisive, which I guess is a plus.

The first time we heard about Shane was a couple of weeks ago, when Claire brought home a piece of paper that had some drawings on it, including a heart and Shane's name. I asked what it was and Claire said it was card that Shane had made for her. "He loves me." She said it so matter-of-factly I was hoping she meant that like the way we love chocolate milk, or the way we love 30 Rock. But she kept talking, saying that she loved him, too, and there was a suspicious part in the back of my head wondering what she meant by that exactly. I don't think she has a clue about boys liking girls, girls liking boys. She still thinks she is going to grow up and marry her dad. She doesn't have a clue.

I knew Shane was the instigator of this whole thing. Boys. They are no good. And Cody knows that boys are no good, so when he found out about the love note and the terms affection being thrown around with such abandon, he wasn't happy. He gave Claire the lecture about how girls aren't suppose to love boys (but doesn't that just open up a wave of other questions???) and Claire just looked at him like 'what on earth are you talking about?' It was a little bit of an overreaction by Cody, who I can tell is going to be pretty darn protective in the the whole boys department with our girls.

If you want a little mental picture of Shane, he looks just like Will Forte from Saturday Night Live and is about a whole head shorter than Claire. This might sound harsh, but I just want Claire to dump him to the curve. And I hope her next boyfriend isn't until she is college (and hopefully isn't a head shorter than her).

17 comments:

Bethany said...

Brooke!!! I don't know if you looked at my blog yet but you better....lets just say I need your address. I need to spred my wealth.

Thompson Family said...

That is too funny. I think Jordan will be the same way if we ever have a girl. I like the blog by the way:)

tharker said...

Love the reaction from Cody!

I ran into the mom of a girl from Jake's preschool the other day and she told me that her little girl has been saying that Jake is her boyfriend. She asked her if Jake knew this, and she said no. During our conversation, the little girl walked up and said in her loudest voice, "I have a twush on Dake!" (she hasn't quite mastered the C and the J sounds yet ;)

I am okay with Jake not knowing about this little crush too.

Brooklet said...

A 'twush on dake', I am going to use that as my new catch phrase- too funny.

Laurie said...

That is so great, I love Cody's reaction. Tara's little girl had a similar experience recently...Meg let him down very gently. Zack and I were making his class valentine's last night and he told me all about the beautiful girls in his class. Maya, Madison, Izzie, etc....basically he likes all of them. He is his father's son through and through. Nothing more than thinking they are beautiful has come up yet...thank goodness.

Kelsey said...

How funny. I can imagine the "talk" between father and daughter about boyfriends right now. Cracks me up!

libby said...

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during Cody's talk to Claire. Funny, funny stuff.

Linda said...

Too funny. I can only imagine Cody's reaction, which makes me chuckle even more.

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

What the heck happened to the good old days of preschool? Seriously. Cody isn't the only dad that has reacted that way to a preschool flame...our sweet Kate brought home a few love notes the other day and Mr. Croshaw himself said about the same thing to Kate as Cody said to Claire. Crushes? He loves me? What are we in for next? Oh, gosh. I don't even want to think about it!

Cara said...

First off, I see you are reading The Book Thief. You will love it. It's a great read. Secondly, they figure it out sooner than you think. Both Hallie and Liam had crushes in preschool. They'd tell me about someone and start blushing and I'd ask why they like them and they'd say stuff like "I like the way he smiles" or "I like her laugh" and then get all embarrassed. I'm telling you, it happens sooner than you think. So be prepared. :)

Monica said...

Cute, cute story. Why can't girls be friends with boys without being boyfriend and girlfriend or without being in love with them? Samantha tells me that she doesn't play with boys at school because she doesn't want people to think they are her boyfriends. Why is it that way?

Radene said...

Cute, wow, I didn't realize it all started that young! Claire is so funny. I love seeing how her mind works.

Michele said...

Who doesn't love 30 Rock? Who wouldn't love Claire? She has boundless energy and beauty too! Cody is going to have a difficult...well 20+ years! It only gets worse and my advise to you is what he doesn't know won't make him crazy...that's how I avoid Cory's overreactions.

Shells said...

Right about now, I'm thinking it will be okay if we have all boys from now on. :) Cute story, especially the part about Cody's talk with Claire.

Anonymous said...

Boys are no good! Cody is going to have a heart attack when claire starts dating for reals. I can see him now, grilling her date before they go out, casually tapping his ak-47 across his knee....

Heather said...

What in the world?? Why don't girls love boys? :) Good luck.