Thursday, January 08, 2009

Reconciling

I feel like there needs to be a measuring and accounting for my past years resolutions. I had tried to make goals that would push me a little outside the box of the normal, everyday routine and excuses. This, madame (or sir), is a faithful narrative of every event in which we have been concerned together (or at least the events that pertain to my resolutions):

(+) rock star awesome (/) good effort, sparky (-) Lame-o, I suck
(-) play more board/card games: I absolutely failed on this one. I played less than the year before. This is quite possibly my least gaming year ever, (excluding the years I was in diapers). And I have no excuse.
(-) become scuba certified: Again, I failed this one, though I kinda have an excuse. I didn't make it out to Utah this year, where my father-in-law would have certified me. . .maybe this next year.
(+) take a photography class:
Finally, one that I actually accomplished! I took a photog class. And I still take pictures in auto on my camera. But I learned a lot about my camera.
(/) try new outside-my-box recipes:
Its a little difficult to give this one a plus or minus since it isn't really a quantifiable goal. I could have done better, even though I did find some new recipes that are now family favorites.
(?)expand my vocabulary (a.k.a my lexicon): No comment.
(-)play capture the flag: Bummers. I actually forgot that one was on the list. That's a no-go.
(+)take some cool weekend trips as a family: I am going to say yes to this in a major way. We took a few weekend trips to the New Jersey Shore, plus we took some rockin' family trips to Florida, Washington and Oregon State (go evergreens!), and I took a trip to NYC. It was a good travelling year.
(+) go to the Caribbean: We opted for Florida, instead, since it was cheaper, more family friendly, and we were guaranteed some excellent company. What does the Caribbean have that Orlando doesn't (besides the ocean).
(/) host a badminton tournament: I know you are thinking that I probably didn't do this one, but you are wrong. I totally hosted a badminton tourney. No, really. I did. I am, of course, the worlds worst party planner, and I didn't take into account the shortening daylight hours and thus we had about 20 minutes to play until it was too dark to see the birdie. So it was a lame badminton tournament, and to the chagrin of my friends, I am going to make another try of it come spring. Sorry, but I must. And you will come. With a smile on your face. Ready to hit some shuttlecocks.
(. . .) speak kind words: I feel like the verdict is still out on this one. I could have made more of an effort. I could have exercised a little more self-control, and I could have thought kinder thoughts. This is probably one of my most important goals and I want to continue working on this one this year. So we will view this as a progress report, rather than a final grade. . .



10 comments:

tharker said...

Who doesn't want to hit some shuttlecocks? Badmitton was my best subject in P.E. ! Well, that and Social Dance...

I'm just a teensy bit jealous of your travels. Of course that could be because I've never been east of Colorado. Yeah. I suck.

Do share your new family favorites recipes!!

Libby said...

i am very impressed brooke! i too want to know your new recipes.

Michele said...

Hey I was one of the first people to lose in your tournament last year! I would love to have the honor again. The resolution I made was to never make anymore New Year resolutions and I get a +++++ for keeping it!

Jana said...

Those were some good goals and I am so glad I got to be a part of a few of them. For better or for worse. :) The best part of that tournament was those yummy burgers. Who cares that it got dark in 20 minutes?!! There was good food to eat.

Monica said...

Way to be accountable. Those were some great goals for last year. I say you did a pretty good job accomplishing all that you did. Most people make the list and forget about it by the end of January, but not you. What is on the list for this year?

Shells said...

I agree with Monica. You remembered your goals througout the year and that in and of itself, is a huge accomplishment.

5dollarFanatic said...

Love your new layout-and the list of things just makes me feel that I do nothing in comparison....Have an awesome year and I hope you do all that you set out to do.

casee said...

I could use the play more board games resolution... I hate them. But I have actually been a good sport lately and have joined in a bit more.

p.s. I love A Girl Named Zippy, it definitely one of my favorite books!

casee said...

It IS definitely one of my favorite books, I need to proofread.

Anonymous said...

Well, i for one I'm excited to attend another tournament! And I'm sorry I wasn't a more supportive friend in your play more games goal :) Oh and I like your new blog background. I liked the dutch girl, but a change is exciting!