Thursday, January 03, 2008

Thinkin' Lofty



For some reason this picture reminds me of the photo on The Village. You know, the one where all the village elders are together outside a street in New York City. It a picture of them 30 years earlier. I can just see me looking at this picture in 30 years, reminiscing about how Cody and I looked so much younger, how we have lost touch with so and so, how little Claire now has three little girls of her own. Can't you just see it. Our grand kids will ask questions like, who is the angry white rapper?, and what's with the glamour shot guy? Good times.

On New Years Eve, we had a get together with our friends to celebrate. This would be the first time since I was single that we have celebrated New Years Eve, meaning that I wasn't asleep or reading a book when the clock struck 12. It was a lot of fun. I always have grand plans of playing games when we get together with friends, but we had such a good time talking that we never got around to it. I laughed and I laughed and I laughed and it felt sooooo good.

Of course, when I get around a group of my friends, I get a little carried away, say about 5 things I wish I could take back, 2 things that came out wrong, and 1 thing that I totally didn't mean that way. But hopefully my friends forgive me, or else this year might be pretty lonely for me.

I read a blog today of a perfect stranger who listed all that she wanted to do this year. She listed some pretty grandiose and challenging things. I thought that was fun. I think I am always being too careful, too frugal, too procrastinating, too lazy. Not this year baby!

Here is my list:

::play more board/card games (oh, yeah, if that's not daring, I don't know what is)
::become scuba certified
::take a photography class
::try new outside-my-box recipes
::expand my vocabulary (a.k.a my lexicon)
::play capture the flag
::take some cool weekend trips as a family
::go to the Caribbean
::host a badminton tournament
::speak kind words

I am excited to revisit this in a year and see how many of these 10 I tackle. Wish me luck because I don't want any of your critical doses of reality. I know you are thinking the Caribbean thing just ain't gonna happen. Well, we'll just have to see about that. Let the games begin!

12 comments:

Jana said...

PUH-LEASE!!! The Caribbean thing IS happening. Girls trip 08!! :) And I am wondering. . .who is the glamour shot? Too funny. Good goals. Good luck. I should do that same thing. I just don't want to feel defeated in ONE MORE THING. Obviously, I will not be listing, "Giving up Diet Coke." That would be pushing my luck.

Liz said...

Hey, can I go to the Caribbean with you?! And sign me up for the badminton tournament while you're penciling me into your life. :)

Brooklet said...

Look at Zach's pose- total glamour shot.

Heather said...

I can't imagine you saying anything you would regret.

tharker said...

Yeah, just stuff me in your checked baggage when you go to the Carribean! Don't worry, I don't take up too much room ;)

You go girl. Play those board games....just not with me, cuz you know how I feel about that!

Pitcherpost said...

Good goals! Well, most of them. Host a badminton tournamant - what? I would give that a low priority rating - high priority to the Caribbean! And weekend trips, Cody owes you a Niagara falls weekend!

So Zach cannot take a normal photograph! I'll post the picture I got with my camera soon - another glamor shot, but different pose, Tyra would be proud. He's really smiling with his eyes.

Cara said...

I must admit...we are big boardgamers. Give us a call when you want to start on that one. :) We have a closet overflowing with games. :)

Cara said...

oh, and I should have mentioned in the last post...I had a friend that didn't get anything from Santa one year but a note saying she better shape up. Now that's following through with the "don't be naughty" threats.

Shells said...

Good luck with the goals. They sound like fun.

::lindsay said...

Wow! Are you really going to go to the Caribbean? If so, that is awesome! Good resolutions, by the way. Let's just say I don't think I'll be showing you my lame-o resolutions for the year---they aren't nearly as exciting!

Gina said...

Good goals for 08! Thanks for a great, too short lived time on New Years!

Monica said...

Can I go with you to the Caribbean? Sounds like a good time. I love how realistic and fun your resolutions list is.