Saturday, October 06, 2007

Shades of Red

Rose, rust, burgundy, wine, maroon, magenta, puce, crimson, cherry, cerise, vermilion.

All shades of red.

I have noticed an alarming and rapid change here in Pennsylvania, and no, this isn't an 'I love Fall Leaves' post. This is a bitter diatribe about an alarming change that threatens to take over my household, my family, and shake the very foundation of my marriage.

I consider myself a pretty tolerant wife. Long-suffering, if you will. Now don't get the wrong idea, my husband is a gem, treats me real good. However, if you know Cody (said husband) you know that when he jumps into something, he jumps in all the way, taking his shoes, shirt and wallet in with him. Like fly fishing. I think it's fair to say he would shrivel up and die without his life sustaining IV of Winstons and dry nymphs. So for five years I have let him go fishing basically whenever he wanted, because I knew it made him happy.
"Sure, I just had a baby two days ago, but honey, you go right on out and go fishing."
"Sure, why don' t you go on an three day fishing trip on our anniversary for the third year in a row."

You see, long-suffering.

But I think I have just about had it with the latest infestation of red that has Cody up to his ruddy little neck in camo and entrails. You guessed it. . . . he has picked up hunting. Big bummer.

My problem isn't so much with hunting animals- I am not a tree hugger or anything like it (though I do only shave my legs once a week in the winter, which makes me kinda granola). My problem with hunting is the incredible case of redneck that accompanies it. At a rapid pace, Cody went from cool husband who found joy in occasionally wearing over-priced fly fishing shirts, to a full blown, buying-camo-at-Walmart, target-practicing-with-a-crossbow-in-our-backyard, look-at-my-gut-hook-buck-skinner, help-me-fit-60-pounds-of-dead-deer-in-the-fridge redneck.

I put the blame on one of his fly fishing buddies who took him out turkey hunting several weeks ago. He filled his head with all sorts of seductive tales of guns, crossbows, shooting Bambi's mom and dad and BAM! Cody relinquished his hold on the rod of normalcy and stumbled off onto a scarlet path paved with sunburned napes. And that's the issue I have. Not the killing of animals (though, what the heck do I want with all that deer meat?) so much as the life style that accompanies hunting. Cody doesn't quite understand what I have against hunting- "Don't you think its manly?" he asks me. Sure, if it was 1845 and you were bringing home dinner. But it's 2007, you go to dental school, and most hunters now-a-days don't even have all their teeth. I know, that's harsh and judgemental, but that's how I ride. In fact, Cody was watching a broadcast of a public forum protesting some change in hunting laws here in Pennsylvania, when a tall skinny redneck, dressed in flannel, gets up, with chew still tucked quaintly in his lip and starts eloquently defending why hunters should be able to kill rodents three days earlier than the law currently allows. "We should have the right, nnkay, to have those three extra days, nnkay, to kills us some raccoons, nnkay" and so on and so forth. . . nnkay. That, Cody, is the prime example of why hunters have such a negative stereotype these days.

I am not one that is super into appearances. I mean, sure, I can be a bit granola from time to time (I assure you it is purely out of sheer laziness, nothing to do with any political statement). But when I come home to find my husband, still in his camo, boiling the top of a deer head in my kitchen, I draw a line. What was he doing, you city slickers ask? Oh silly, he was simply boiling all the flesh off the antlers. See! Do you have ANY IDEA what boiling deer flesh smells like?!! I've heard they bottle up this smell and you can actually purchase it at your local Walmart in the perfume section. It's called Essence of a Backwoods Hick. And now my house is permanently permeated with this prize winning smell. I took a brief look and saw Cody prying the boiled fur, flesh, and lingering eyeball off his prized antlers with his gut-hook-buck-skinner and I almost vomited, and I am not using that term loosely. Barf. Gag. Bile.

I know, I know. I know exactly what your quandry is. Just where is he going to hang up those antlers? I'll tell you exactly where. Over my dead, part-time granola body.

23 comments:

HARKfield said...

Brooke, your (you're, yeah shells thats a pre-emptive correction) to funny, after reading this i really wonder what your daily jounal is like, i bet it is hysterical

tharker said...

I mean it when I say that you are hands down the best writer I know!

I ride the same way you do. I'm all for the fly fishing, but this would be too much for me too. After reading this, I will make a mental note to ask Cody to NEVER mention his "success" in hunting to Spencer. I DO NOT want deer entrails hanging out in my kitchen.

nnnkay?

Libby said...

This is a perfect example of why you are an amazing writer...I have already heard all about this and I still could not stop reading. It was hilarious! You've got talent, no doubt!
So, that is beyond NASTY! No way no how will there EVER be deer carcass of ANY sort in my house...let alone my kitchen!! Can you say CLOROX!! Actually I think I would have to move. You are too good.
I am totaly with you on the shave once a week during the winter. What's the point?

Brooklet said...

Before anyone who embraces the life of hunting gets offended, most of this post was said tongue in cheek, and was said for drama's sake. Though the deer head in the kitchen was too much for me- it nearly made me cry.

Shells said...

Oh my goodness. Way too funny. I can totally see Cody getting into hunting -- I'm only surprised that he hasn't got into it before. The part that I dislike most about hunting are the guns. I would be worried sick the whole time my husband was within 10 feet of the gun because although he is a smart guy, you just never know. I hear of way too many accidents.

Rachel said...

GROSS!! I am so sorry to hear that Cody has really gone off the deep end. Walmart?? that is where I draw the line. nnkay?

::lindsay said...

You are totally cracking me up! I don't know what I would have done if I saw my husband boiling a deer head on the stove. I love all your descriptions!

By the way, I can be a little too "granola" for my own good--out of sheer laziness as well!

HARKfield said...

This is your mother! Your story was just great! I think down in that small room off the laundry room (the Pittsburgh toilet) would be the perfect place to hang the antlers.

You really have a way with words. You should submit this as a editorial to a Hunting magazine.
OK. Now for the important stuff.

PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!
POST SOME PICTURES OF MORGAN SO I CAN SEE HER!

Pitcherpost said...

The scary thing for me is, Zach was this close to joining Cody in his redneck transformation but I'm a mean wife and wouldn't let him buy a gun. Although, since Cody split the deer meet with Zach, we have just as much in our freezer. Excuse me, I mean venison.

Heather said...

Sooo funny!!!! Jeremy and Cody could swap some stories.... once Jer once butchered a deer in our apt garage... whoa.

Monica said...

OK, seriously, you are the best writer I know. That was completely awesome. If I was the one writing about this experience, this is how it would have gone:

"My husband has gotten involved with hunting. I think it is disgusting and a bit redneckish. And he was doing something with the head in the kitchen, it was so gross."

But your version? So, so much better and so funny. Hats off to you!!

Al isn't into hunting of large animals, but he previously hunted birds (I am not sure which bird was his preference). I just keep hoping that he doesn't get involved with that again.

Jana said...

I want to call you so you can hear how hard I am laughing. That was even better than all the times we have talked about it in person. I to think you should submit this to a hunting magazine. It was perfect!!! And Cody. . . you are making me SICK! Ahhh, to be submissive. nnkay? Is that "OK" but in redneck language?

Jessica said...

I told Peter last night that I read your entry and that Cody has taken up hunting. He then replied, "Well, it all started with the fly fishing thing. Next it will be drag racing." He was kidding, of course, but I still thought it was funny.

Liz said...

NASCAR here we come! :) Brooke, pretty soon you're going to get that old beat-up Ford truck you've always wanted. And Cody will mount a gun rack and you can get a hound. Oh, and don't forget the fifth wheel so you can go on hunting/camping trips with the whole family! Love it.

Carrie said...

Brooke, this is too funny. I thought I was being a patient and loving wife when Brian brought home live crabs to put in our sink. I don't know what I would have done with a deer head.

Amy said...

Brooke, you are now the funniest person I know. I can't believe he was boiling antlers in your kitchen! Talk about long suffering. I thought putting up with endless hours of football watching was bad. I'm glad he didn't drag Mike into it.

Write a book already!

Katie B.C. said...

At least he wasn't cleaning the crap out of the stomache and intestines and putting them in the freezer for future tripe dinners. That's just plain gross. We had a lady on my mission who was doing that with a goat her husband had killed- she used to feed us a lot- luckily I was transfered after that. (But I did eat all the cow hooves and cow nose that she feed us in the months previous.)

rabidrunner said...

Hi... I found your post on CJane's web site. My heart is full of empathy and understanding. I have a Spouse who took up the "sport" at the age of 37. WHO starts hunting at 37? He tries to justify the expense and/or cruelty by bragging about the way he can provide for his family.

Has your husband cooked it yet? Wait 'til he cooks it... it makes your kitchen smell reeeaal nice.

Brooklet said...

Thanks everyone for you comments! They made me feel all rosy and cozy inside!

Thanks for sympathizing with me! And welcome rabidrunner- I feel for you too! And after the cost of guns, licenses, bad camo, and butcher costs, I think its cheaper to buy the meat at the store!

Kimo said...

Hey Brooke! Very funny! You are such a talented writer (makes me never want to post on my blog, because it all seems so boring!)

Perhaps the most ironic thing to all this is that I just got back in town from a week long hunting trip with my family in Utah (Elk, not deer - Elk is tasty and deer is gross! - Tim never got a deer in all his years of hunting in PA - he claims that I was praying against him, and that may be true).

I, personally do not hunt, but my father, brothers, husband, and one sister-in-law do. We all go up together and most of the women and children have a super fun time in camp, while the men get up before sunrise to tromp around in the snow to look for something to shoot.

Anyway, back to your post . . . I would have killed Tim if he had ever dared to boil a deer head in my kitchen!!!!! At least Tim knows his limits with hunting and would have taken care of that disgustingness while he was still camping over an open fire or something. Sounds like Cody needs a little more experience in how to keep the wife happy so he can continue in his new passion (that was my dad's trick, and he is still hunting at 65.)

Good (non-redneck) hunters realize very quickly that if "mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Kudos on a very funny and enjoyable to read post.

Kimo said...

p.s. my mom claims that if you know how to cook it right, deer (or venison, as Melanie was so PC to call it) can be really quite tasty, so if you want me to ask her about the proper cooking technique, let me know.

Brooklet said...

Yes, Kim, I need your moms recipes because I have a fridge full of venison that needs to be cooked!

Cody shot the deer in the little forest behind moore park with his crossbow- its amazing what your allowed to do in the city!

Kimo said...

I'm sorry (for you) that Cody has such good aim. I wouldn't want to be facing a fridge full of deer meat. I'll get in touch with my mom and see what she recommends.