Wednesday, June 13, 2007

What's in a name?

Today, I am exactly 30 weeks pregnant. Which equates to about an extra 25 pounds, an extra dozen inches on my waist, and a bigger bra size. But what is really starting to nag on me is what on earth am I going to name my sweet bundle of joy, whose current past times involve long bouts of sleeping punctuated by long bouts of flips and karate movements, with the occasional hiccuping episode. With Claire, I knew my first girls name before I had even met Cody, and then when I found out Cody's grandma's name was Claire, it was a done deal. However, this time around, the name we had picked out preconception, Morgan, isn't settling completely right. I like the name, but I feel like there is another name out there for this one. Literally, I feel it. It feels like its just on the tip of my tongue; I just haven't a clue what it is. That's why I am reaching out to the always consistent, dependable, and lucid world of bloggers to help me find what that name is. Now, I know the game of throwing out name suggestions to someone else is almost as fun as playing hot potato with a nail gun, but I really do need help, and at least I am not there in person to scornfully shoot down a name you have treasured for years.

So here is what I 'feel' about #2's name- I want it to be a bit delicate, feminine, old fashioned. It ruins it for me if the name is popular. I for some reason feel it has an "l" sound in it (are you starting to think I am loco?) and the topping on the cake would really be if it is a family name.

Well, you have you mission cut out for you- please use no inhibition in your suggestions. And remember, my daughter's future happiness depends upon your ability to read my mind for something that is technically not in my mind. I don't know what conundrum means, but this mission sounds like it would be a perfect example of one.

15 comments:

Shells said...

I really like the name Elena (sp???). Not a family name though (unless it is on Cody's side).

::lindsay said...

Ooh...if I find you the perfect baby name, you might have to give her the middle name Lindsay or Lynn. How about Elise, Elsie, Aliah, Ava, McKinley, Scarlett, Daphne, Taylor, Alexa...I don't really know your taste in names so you'll have to say what kind of names you like.

Shells said...

Or how about Lillian.

Jessica said...

The Croshaw's like Katelynn (pretty popular, even though we didn't know any Katelynn's at the time we named poor Kate) and Lillian (as mentioned by shells). We wouldn't mind if our kids had the same name! :) We also like Allison, Madeline, Hayden, Robin...just a few classics we enjoy.

Johnsons said...

Choosing a name is sooo hard!

We're naming our baby Eliza: old fashioned, has an "l" and not common at all.

Good luck!

PRP said...

I've always loved Ella, and Grace (Ella Grace! Isn't that beautiful!) And Isabel, but I know they are all a tad trendy (uh, hello, my daughter's name is Hannah!) Let's see what else....Chloe? Claire and Chole, now that's dang cute!

I'll keep thinking on it...

Monica said...

I really like the names: Vanessa and Rachel and Olivia. Oh, Rachel Joy Nelson. Not too shabby?

tharker said...

Well, we know that Ella is probably out of the running since that is Eric's little girl. I love Emma, Rebecca, Lily. There is a little girl in Hannah's class named Aylah(pronounced Aaa-lah). Man, this is hard, I haven't named a baby in almost 4 years!!!!

I love Christina's pick for Eliza. So perfect for their family!

Carrie said...

I don't know if I can pick names that aren't popular. I had no clue Alyssa and Ethan were popular until this pregnancy. I found out Alyssa was #12 for 2002 and Ethan was #8 for 2006. At least Alyssa wasn't in the top 10.

For this baby, if it's a girl, I'm thinking either Rebecca Lynn, or Marie. I haven't thought any further than that. Let me think about it a bit more, and I'll give you some more options.

Oh, a lady in our ward is naming her daughter Halley June, which is cute.

Brooklet said...

Last night, after I read the first couple suggestions, I gave a lot of thought to Scarlett and Lily- both names I had considered before, but I gave them more thought, and I really like them. I just suggested Lily to Cody, and he really likes it- he said it may even be his new front runner. Most of the other names everyone suggested, I love also- so you are pretty good at choosing names that fit my schema.

Other names that have been on my list are- audrey, emma, emmy, Ava, Mae, but right now, I am feeling lily- I am going to give it a week and see how I feel.

Thanks for all your help!!

tharker said...

Lily is lovely! I'm hoping that it sticks! Claire and Lily sound like the sweetest of sisters!

Jessica said...

I noticed you said you also like Mae...it's probably just an oddity but my grandmother's name is Mae. Our Lilly....her name is Lillian Mae. We love the name! Lilly Mae...so cute. Good luck.

Liz said...

Hey, sounds like you already have a favorite, and I'm a little late in the game, but I met a lady in the nursing room a while back (I know, we're supposed to be listening, not chatting) and her little girl's name was Penelope. She called her Penny. I thought it was cute (definitely one of the cuter old-old fashioned names), though it wouldn't ever work for our naming scheme. :) Good luck!

Johnsons said...

On the subject of "Mae":

My great grandma's name was Edna Mae, but she was called Eddie Mae. I always thought that was kind of cute and considered Emma Mae for Emma. (Nathan said it sounded too much like Hee Haw - but hey - they were from the Ozarks.)

Thanks Tiffani - I'm glad you like our name!

Shells said...

Mom said that her grandmothers name was Lillian Matilda.