Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Random Acts of Crying

I cry. A lot. When I am happy, when I am sad, when I hear loud noises-whatever- I cry. So I thought I would catch you up to date on some of my past and present acts of crying.

I. The first time I remember crying while reading a book was when I was in Mrs. Kinion's fifth grade class reading Where the Red Fern Grows. If you have read the book then you know what part I cried at- its sad! This should have been an early indicator that I would be spewing out tears for the rest of my life faster than Tanya Harding with her broken shoe laces.

II. You may also remember in November, when I went to vote, that I started to cry watching the people in front of me vote. Good Gravy.

III. A couple of weeks ago, I cried while watching Charlotte's Web. I was with a bunch of my gal pals and our kids, so I was trying to hide my sobing so as not to be made fun of for the rest of my life. You probably think I cried at the part where Charlotte dies- I did, but that wasn't my first bout of tears for the movie. The water works officially began when Wilber doesn't get the blue ribbon. . . what, am I like four?!!

IV. I don't like to watch really sad movies. . i.e. all war movies. . . because they depress the heck out of me and I cry. Life is Beautiful was on tv a couple of months ago and I didn't want to watch it, because a.) the guy annoys the heck out of me ( a lot of heck comes out of me apparently), and b.) it's so sad! I was crying, trying not to openingly sob, when I looked over a Cody and saw he was crying also! Our kids have no chance.

V. I cried when I got pulled over the first time. I was driving Kelsey Shoemake to Church softball, and I got pulled over. I tried really hard not to cry, because it annoys me when people do that in front of police officers, but the smart aleck cop asked me what my dad would do when I found out I got a ticket, and I started to cry! He ended up not giving me the ticket, but I felt like such a wimp breaking down in front of Kelsey-- It was the annoying hard sobbing-I can't speak or take a breath- crying. Embarrassing, I know.

VI. I use to work as an employment counselor for youth at risk. The youth were a lot easier to handle than some of their parents. This one crazy lady (and I literally mean crazy) once called me and yelled at me, calling me power obsessed. If you know me that well, power obsessed isn't really something you would lable me as- I would go more with spineless. Any ways, I was good about not crying when I was on the phone, but as soon as I got off I cried. Not because I was offended, but because I was mad! When I am mad, I cry.

VII. My most recent batch of crying occured yesterday. It was the day after my birthday and I collected the mail, excited to see I had several packages addressed to me!! Monica sent me a package and I open it up, and it's a copy of Tidbits. Tidbits is the little newpaper you get in Dairy Queens and such in the Tri-Cities with all the interesting little facts and tidbits. I loved reading them when I go home. Monica apparently had obtained a copy when she was visiting mom and dad, took it back home with her, and mailed it to me for my birthday. So I open it up and I am so touched by it that I start crying!! Not just my eyes watering, I was full on crying, with a couple of sobs. When I told Cody, he thought I was nuts, but it meant a lot to me that Monica knows me so well and knew how tickled I would be about getting the tidbits. So thanks, Monica!

For some people who aren't used to seeing people cry, you might think I am a bit crazy, and I am not going to argue that with you. When I was dating Cody, I don't think he had ever seen anyone cry so much. One of the best all time dating lines is what Cody said to me after we got in a fight. He came over the next day- I thought to apologize- and the first thing he does is gives me a hug and then says, "are you done being crazy?" Whoa!! What!! That would be the last time he ever said that to me! He learned to handle my crying and he even became very sensitive about it. But he was partially right, I think I am a bit crazy.

11 comments:

PRP said...

I'm with you Brooke. I am a world champion crier. Actually, I'm a lot better now than I used to be. Maybe it has something to do with being in my 30s...you know, maturity and the likes. Probably not, but either way, to cry or not to cry, just be happy to be who you are. We sure are!

tharker said...

I love the crier in you Brooke. From one ball baby to another, I know where you're coming from. I cannot watch Step Mom with Julia Roberts. I've seen it like 47 times, but still ball my head off every single time. Good for Cody that he now knows how to handle your crying. I'm still not sure Spencer knows what to do with it.

Shells said...

Way to get out of the speeding ticket. It is very coinicidental that you wrote this post. Two days ago, I kid you not, I told Tom about you crying the first time you were pulled over. I don't remember why I told him the story, but I promise that it fit in with what we were talking about. The second reason why this post is so coincidental was that earlier this morning I had a crying episode that I was going to write about. I was in the fabric store with Michael and he was being such a good boy that I just started crying because I was so happy and grateful that he is a part of my life. I get those types of moments often. I"m sure the people at the fabric store thought I was nutso. Oh well.

I'm still waiting for you to call me back.

Brooklet said...

I, too, once cried in the fabric store. But it was because Claire was being a bad 2-year-old. Screaming, flailing, the works, and I had a number in line for getting my fabric cut, and a woman saw how much I was struggling and gave me her tickets, which was a lower number. I couldn't really thank her, because I started to cry. I was touched by her kindness and consideration.

Monica said...

In Tanya Hardings defense, she did have an abusive husband, and ice skating was the only good thing in her life, and since that wasn't working out so well, she decided to blame it all on her poor, unsuspecting shoe lace.

Monica said...

I have never cried during a movie. Tiffani said I have the heart of a troll because I didn't cry in "Notebook". Give me a break. I must admit that I did get a teeny bit misty eyed at the end of Princess Diaries II when Princess Mia gets crowned as the Queen, and a little misty eyed at the end of Glory, but that is it. I remember going to see Green Mile with Al, Ryan, and Ann. It was towards the end, and I look over and all 3 of them are just bawling. But not me. Don't they realize that movies are just pretend? Maybe I do the heart of a troll.

Monica said...

I am glad the tidbits were well received. One tidbit that sticks out in my mind from all those years ago, and I think about it often, was the city whose temperature started out at -12 degrees, and then the temperatire rose up to the 70's or 80's, and then it went back to very cold again, all in the same 24 hour period. It was supposedly the most drastic temperature change in a 24 hour period in the same town. I don't know why that has stuck with me over the years.

Shells said...

The first time I remember crying at the television was when I was five or six. It was that McDonald's commercial where all of the kids are playing crack the whip on ice skates. A little boy is whipped off and the other kids will no longer play with him. Ronald McDonald went and picked him up and started skating with him in his arms. Man, my eyes are welling just thinking about it. I cry during most movies. Perhaps the weirdest one that I cried in was when we saw the original Home Alone in the theaters. Yes, Home Alone. At the very end, when the old man hugs his granddaughter. Does it get any better than that?

Brooklet said...

I am a little concerned about sisters!! Getting misty eyed at the ronald mcdonald commericial- I do remember it, but I am pretty sure I didn't cry.

And Monica- do you have a heart of coal?? Just kidding- you are probably the only sane ones of us.

The first movie I cried in was called something like, Miss Fourth of July, or something like that- about a who helped out during the influenza and then died. I cried. Last night about midnight, I was reading a book about the plague and the main character lost her two babies- I was bawling!

Brooklet said...

and what is with your defense of Tanya? I lost all hope for her when I watched her beat up Paula so and so in the celeberty boxing. She, too, never cries in movies!

Monica said...

Don't get me wrong, Brooke, I can't stand Tanya Harding. I was just saying that her crying was about more than just broken shoe laces. And thankfully, I didn't see her beat the cr@p out of Paula Jones.