Friday, November 03, 2006

What Mama Says

It has been fun to watch Claire's language grow, and even more fun to watch her memory grow. She still catches us off guard here and there with what she remembers. Last night, she was asking what different animals say, and then she asked what does mama say? I wanted to hear her response, so I asked her the question back. She hesitated for a minute and so Cody asked, "Does mama say, no no no!" But Claire didn't take this bait. She gave, in her best motherly voice, an "I love you." Well, I was just busting at the seams with how sweet that was. Of course I have drilled her with "what does mama say. . . I love you!" so the answer wasn't completely unexpected. So while Cody and I were laughing about how sweet that was, Claire apparently had time to reconsider her answer and she remember a little episode from this morning. Claire had taken a bag of rice crispies and emptied it all over the living room table and floor. Naturally she got in trouble. So this is what Claire changed her answer to for a more correct 'what mama says'. . . "Sit in time out! Don't spill! Don't Spill the Ice Cispies!" Point of Order-- tape recordings are not admissible evidence. Cody and I had a good laugh, and its good to know that not everything is going in one ear and out the other.

9 comments:

Shells said...

At least Claire doesn't say "oh sit", like somebody else's kids we know.

tharker said...

Hey, hey hey!!! Ok, who am I kidding? Of course we all know that I'm the bad example in question! But to my credit, there have been no O.S. words coming from my 3 year old's mouth. No, no, he's moved on to a heathy "Dammit" when he can't get a toy out that he wants. I'm telling you if that's not stellar parenting, I don't know what is.

tharker said...

I meant healthy

Monica said...

yeah, the whole clue quote doesn't exactly fit with this post.

Monica said...

wouldn't it have been better to somehow squeeze this in:
I'm . . . sorry. I'm afraid I'm a little accident-prone.

or:
That sounds like a confession to me. In fact, the double negative
has led to proof positive. I'm afraid you gave yourself away.

Brooklet said...

I think the clue quote meets the requirements for the post adequately. Claire was in essence a 'tape recorder' repeating the damning evidence against me. Though your proof positive quote would have been fun in this one. I guess I will leave that great quote for another time.

PS its about time someone commented. It took a whole day!!! My self worth was declining every hour.

Brooklet said...

And I like Jake's style- the D word is much more affective when you want to express frustration than the Sh word.

tharker said...

I agree with Linds. We all need to see how big Claire has gotten!

Brooklet said...

Well, I did get a new camera yesterday- wahoo!! So maybe I will take a couple pics and post them on my blog. . . as soon as I learn how to use our camera, that is.