Monday, October 23, 2006

A little bit of Ice

Nobody has written a post for the last several days. Someone's got to break the ice and it might as well be me. I mean I'm use to being a hostess as part of my husbands work, and its always difficult when a group of new friends get together for the first time to get acquainted, so I'm perfectly prepared to get the ball rolling. . . I mean I have no idea what we are doing here or what I am doing here, or what this place is about, but I am determined to enjoy myself, and oh, my, this soups delicious.

Okay that was a little obvious, but I do want to start the ball rolling. I don't really have anything witty or terrible exciting to post, so I thought I would just give you a little update from the world of Brooke.

Here is faithful narrative of all my dealings. On Saturday, Cody's old roommate, his wife and two kids came to visit for the day. They live in Ohio, just about an hour and a half away (driving, that is). They have two little gir ls, Kate and Lily. Kate is Claire's age and for the most part they got along well. . . up until the one princess skirt fiasco! But that was my fault. There is an old Sudanese saying-- "If you only have one princess skirt and two little gir ls, don't bring it out." Ah, life lessons we keep on learning. So since we are city slickers, living in the Burgh, I thought it would be fun to go out to one of the farms in the country. You know the kinda farm-- beautiful rolling hills covered in a plethora of trees in every imaginable fall color-- where you pay way too much for a hay ride, an apple, and a pumpkin. I know everyone from Pasco is probably appalled that I paid to go to a farm, but it really was quite festive! It was a beautiful farm and Claire had a good time petting the goats, going down a huge rug slide, riding behind a tractor and eating her apples. No, no, I know you are probably dying to see pictures of this beautiful fall day outing on an east coast farm, but you won't. Our camera is broken. It's a story I don't want to talk about. But might I mention another well known Sudanese saying-- "Digital cameras and fishing don't mix." Enough said. We did have a very nice visit with our friends.

Then came Sunday. If this blog had sound effects you would hear the "dum, dum dum, dum"-ing of a timpani drum right here. Oh Sunday!! It was our primary program. It use to be my favorite sacrament meeting of the year, but now that I am the one in charge of it, I am wanting to know who came up with the idea of having kids up on the stand all of sacrament meeting!! Flames on the side of my face. . . I want to know so I can give him/her a good talking, too. It actually turned out fine, the kids did really well, I got teary-eyed twice and I only had to drag one screaming kid down to his parents in the middle of it. The biggest kick in the pants is that after the sacrament program, we still had to be in charge of the primary for the rest of church. So I did what all great primary leaders do- I gave them fruit snacks and put on a movie. Oh yeah! That's what I do best. So now that is over, the primary is in charge of the Halloween party this Friday. I think this task will be a lot more enjoyable being that my two counselor's are practically professional party planners (say that three times fast).

So that's how I ride here in Western PA. A bit of a stressful weekend, but we made it through. Okay I have done my bloggitorial duty by posting, lets see the rest of you step up to plate!!

10 comments:

tharker said...

Way to go on the program! Ours is in a couple of weeks and I'll be glad when it's over. Not that I'm really that involved with the planning of it, but I think the kids will all be relieved. And I won't have to hear Hannah's verse to Follow the Prophet 50 times a day! :)

Shells said...

Uh, the Clue quotes were very obvious, so I found them. I also like the Pride and Prejudice quote. I'm actually watching the A&E version as I type this. And by the way, I posted a blog, two of them, on Sunday. Does that not count? Just because I only get 3 or 4 comments instead of the 13 comments that you get? Are my blogs not good enough for you? Flames, on the side of my face, heaving, breathless . . . . .

Brooklet said...

Sunday was two days ago!! And its hard making it through a Monday where nobody posted! I do enjoy your posts. And remember its not how many comments you get, its your ACT score that matters.

tharker said...

There is a spanking new post for you reading pleasure on my blog. Enjoy to your heart's content.

Monica said...

It's interesting that so many people actually go to a pumpkin farm to pick out their halloween pumpkin. My family just goes to Walmart. Isn't that festive enough? I got out of primary just in time. The sunday after I moved is the sunday they started practicing for the program. I am so glad I didn't have to deal with that again.

Monica said...

I must have missed the Pride and Prejudice quote. But you had to have been either an idiot or never seen clue (that's a bit redundant) to have missed the clue quotes.

Shells said...

"Here is faithful narrative of all my dealings"

from mr. darcy's letter to elizabeth

tharker said...

Well I would classify myself as an idiot, but that's another story all together. But as I have only seen Clue once...practically blasphemy in your family I know! Anyway I don't ever get the Clue quotes, sorry to let ya'll down.

tharker said...

We haven't heard from you since Monday!!! How did your ward Halloween Party go? Hope to see a post soon. : )

Shells said...

I agree with Tharker. Get off your lazy @#$ and get going. It isn't like you've been busy with primary programs and ward halloween parties or anything.

IF you camera is broken, does this mean we aren't going to see any cute pictures of Claire's Halloween costume? Go buy a camera. Pronto.