Thursday, October 19, 2006

Breaking an Egg

I had a mini breakdown today while I was washing dishes. I had just got off the phone with my dad and he told me that there was someone interested in buying the house. What?? What!!! Apparently I am having a hard time with the idea of my parents selling the house and moving. Its my home! The home where I learned to crawl, the yard where I learned to garden, the rooms where Monica swindled me out of dozens of valentine cards. It's my home! After talking with my dad, I thought of the scene from Father of the Bride II where Steve Martin told his family he had just sold their house and they all break down (so much of what I see reminds me of something I see in a movie, when shouldn't it be the other way around?). Even the married daughter who didn't live there anymore was very upset. That's how I feel. I have a home here in Pittsburgh, which I love, but it doesn't have the permanence that my home in Pasco has always had.

And the thing is, my dad didn't even say that he sold the house, or even that an offer has been made. He just said there was a family interested. So I stood there, washing dishes, imagining myself on a snowy night, pressing my face up to a frosted window, and watching another family inside my house, opening their Christmas presents. How dare they!! And I don't even want to talk about what they are going to do to our yard. It literally gets my choked up thinking about it. Do you see how emotional I am about this! Hence the mini breakdown in the kitchen. Cody made it worse when he said, "Now when you go home for Christmas, you won't be going home. You will be going to your parents house." Thanks for the pep talk, Cody. Change can be hard on me, but when I say it is hard, this is both true and misleading. I know that change has always been good for me, and I look forward to more change in my life as time goes on. You can't make an omelet without breaking an egg, any cook will tell you that.

So I want you to learn two things about me from this blog- 1) I tend to blow things way out of proportion, getting too emotional too fast (just ask cody, and every ex-boyfriend I have ever had) and 2)I tend to quote movies lines in my blogs. Did you spot them?

14 comments:

tharker said...

I have the same image in my head. Us pulling up to the house for Sunday dinner only to find some strange man telling me that this is now his house. Also in that image is my children rebelling and running up to the "secret door" yelling all the while that they will not come out until Grandma and Grandpa get their house back. Even though I didn't grow up in that house, I can't imagine it any other way. You're not alone Brooklet. I'm struggling with the whole idea.

Shells said...

I already vented to Mom about the selling of their house. Our sweat and free labor went into that house. I can't talk about it.

I caught the clue quote and the one from You've Got Mail. Good job brooklet.

Brooklet said...

There were two clue quotes!

elenapena said...

I obviously need to watch the movie again!

Monica said...

It's interesting to see that the whole valentine fiasco of '88 is listed among your top 3 milestones in that house. Who would have though it would have such an impact on your life. I will make amends.

I caught the 2 clue quotes, nice job. But I didn't recognize the You've Got Mail quote. Maybe I should watch that again. Is it the line about things in real life reminding you about movies when it should be the other way around?

Monica said...

I am also sad about the house potentially being sold to someone else. I am probably more saddend by that than I was when I sold my house.

Brooklet said...

I actually thought of a lot of milestones that happened in the house, I didn't want to bore the reader with those though. I brought up the valentine fiasco of '88 because I had threatened to expose you if you didn't put up a blog within two days. You didn't act in time!!

Shells said...

Okay, so you can't make an omlette without breaking an egg comment is from clue. what is the second one?

Brooklet said...

When I said I was his butler it was both true and misleading. Subtle, yet its there.

Mom Nelson said...

Looks to me as though the real memories are going to be carried around a long time anyway...with or without the house. How great to share history together!
Still, it's no small thing your parents are doing. The hard part about being the parents is that you will never make most decisions without everyone putting in their 2-cents ...until you die! Even then, someone will decide that the dress you wanted to be buried in wasn't the right color.

tharker said...

Ok, Brookie I'm starting to go through "Brooklet" withdrawl here. It's been 4 whole days. Now I know you're probably stewin' up something good, but come on!!! I love your stuff!!!!

Monica said...

yeah, I love your stuff too. Let's keep it coming please.

Monica said...

Wendi, is there a connection between Clue and Brad Pitt, or are you talking about something entirely different?

Brooklet said...

No,no I totally know what Wendi is talking about. There is a pringles commercial on the taped version from the TV that Brad pitt in it before he was famous. Hilarious!

Welcome to the blog, Wendi!!