Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Mourning What Once Was

My poor neglected blog. I miss it. I miss what it once was and what it no longer seems to be. It was once a creative outlet, a connection to friends and family, and a journal of all the small and big things in life that make it colorful. Now I just feel pressure to journal and by journal, I mean put pictures up of my kids with captions. Which doesn't sound very creative to me.

And it's not just me. What was once a bustling cyber-city of blogs, with cute new headers every two months, and blog lists running down the sides with blogs from practically everyone you ever met, is now a ghost town. I mean, sure the professional craft bloggers are still abundant and proceeding on as plentiful as always, but the blogs I really care to read, those of my friends and family, are being abandoned, with posting spaced out to every few months, to being slowly forgotten altogether. It makes me sad.

I'm not one to talk, obviously. It has been four months since I posted and a whole, whole lot has happened in my life since then (oh, you know, like moving states and all) and yet I can't get myself to sit down and actually document it. I still do often stop mid-blog-worthy-event and think about how I would write about it, but when it comes to sitting down in front of the computer, laziness, lack of enthusiasm, etc, etc, intervenes.

 I miss the banter in the comments section, the inside jokes, the inside knowledge I had of my friends lives, even if I haven't seen them in years. I miss the way I use to feel more connected. I miss the enthusiasm for blogging that everyone use to have. What happened?

Facebook, instagram, pinterest?? I do enjoy getting snippets of your lives from these, but that is all they are. Snippets. Give me feeling, give me humor, give me more!! Ah, I have started the desperate begging, which is my cue to wrap up before I look too needy (too late).

I don't know if I will ever get back to the golden days of blogging, but I am going to try a little more. I hope you do, too.

PS. I still have a handful of friends who update their blogs pretty regularly and to you I say this: Thank you! You are the highlight of my googlereader.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Um, I mourn your silence in the blogosphere all the time! You're still on my favorites list in case you post something. I love reading Brooke! But I also know what you mean. I asked for blog recommendations on Facebook a while ago because all my favorites were falling silent. I understand, though. Life gets busy. FYI, I love your snarky posts, but I also love your "journal" posts of pictures of your kids and your life happenings. It's fun to peek into friends' lives, whether they are sharing opinions, creative writing, or life. Hope you'll come back. Maybe just doing it will revive some enthusiasm? (Yes, I'll say anything to get my Brooke fix back). :D :D

Carrie said...

I know exactly what you mean. Not only have I been neglecting my blog, but it feels like everyone else has as well. Now that school is starting back up, I'm vowing to post more often.

I'm glad you're blogging again, and I can't wait to hear what you have to say!

tharker said...

This is all too familiar, as I have not posted since Hannah's birthday. You know...last DECEMBER! I am guilty of blog neglect. I actually started a post about Daniel's birth story, but yet it still sits in my queue unfinished almost 2 months later...

I really miss it sometimes. The connection, the peek into the lives of my favorite people. And mostly I miss writing. It became something that I never knew I would enjoy so much. But for me it comes down to time. I don't miss the time that i used to put into blogging. Writing the post, editing the post, choosing and editing just the right picture, checking obsessively for new comments. Then of course my reader was at one time so full of new posts to read and I always felt the need to leave a comment, even if just out of politeness. I really allowed the whole thing to take up so much time and I wasn't good about balancing it all. I've always said that you make time for the things that you love. I guess that's why I don't make time for it anymore. The enjoyment I once found in blogging has waned. I would love to enjoy it again.

As for Instagram and Facebook, they work so well for me. Maybe it's because I am inherently lazy and it is just so much easier to post a picture and a few sentences about whatever is going on, than to put together an actual post. Whatever the reason, I sure do love it.

To make a long story short, (too late!) in the time it took me to write this comment from my phone, I could have finished Daniel's birth post. ;)