Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Our Own Drum

I am struggling writing this post. I have written several drafts, and none of them have sat quite right with me. I think the problem is I am trying to summarize a portion of my life that just can't be summarized in three paragraphs. So instead of giving you a brief history, I just want to write about the reoccurring theme that keeps popping up as I think over my teenager years.

At every stage of my life I have been surrounded by good friends- and they aren't just good friends, they are good people who have really had a part in shaping who I am today (3 days shy of 30, if any one is counting). My high school friends stick out to me in particular, because they have literally been life long friends and were such an important part of my navigating the teenage years happily and healthily.

In a time where many teenagers struggle with being themselves, getting caught up in the judgments of others, basing their self-esteem on being accepted by a certain crowd- we did not. We were unapologetically ourselves, we danced to the rhythm of our own drums, we were accepting of each other, and we had fun. We were athletes, band geeks, choir geeks, and drama geeks (why do all the creative groups get labeled 'geek'?). We found fun in making movies for film class, singing Christmas carols, and jumping into large batches of cottonseed on the weekends. You may have called us geeks, but boy, did we have fun.

In general, I am proud of my time in high school. I do have some major embarrassing, putting foot-in-mouth, being awkward, stupid moments that still make me cringe, but I still have those now. In fact, not a whole lot about my personality has changed much since high school: i still like old movies, I still like to sleep in, I still am driven by creative pursuits, and I still sing at the top of my lungs while I clean the house. The only major differences are that nowadays, I have a husband, offspring, and I wear make-up.

I am happy with who I am, and such a big part of that is due to having amazing, accepting friends. To you, I say thank you.

8 comments:

::lindsay said...

I didn't know you in high school, but if I had, I would have thought you were awesome! I think we would have been friends back in the day!

It sounds like turning 30 has given way to some reflection on your part. I'm glad you are happy---we all love you too! Happy {early} birthday!!!

Shells said...

Soooo wish I could redo high school and be more like you.

Wendi said...

Ditto! Well... except for the 3 days until 30 thing. I've still got a few months in my 20s. :) I'm also still game for jumping in cottonseed!

PRP said...

Nothing beats dear friends. Mine have shaped so many parts of me and I am so thankful.

Laurie said...

Love the last few posts! Thirty is going to be great for you!

tharker said...

I remember watching you during your high school years and being awed at your confidence with exactly who you were. I was envious because I was not that girl in high school. I've only just become that girl within the last handful of years...

I've always admired this about you, Brooke. You are you. Delightful, creative, hilarious, brilliant YOU! And I love you dearly!!

I too have had the blessing of having good friends throughout my life. I'm so thankful for each of them.

Carrie said...

Oh, Brooke, this post makes me so happy. Didn't we have the best friends? I completely agree with you that our friends were a huge part in making me the person I am today, and I am so thankful that I was able to grow up with such wonderful people. You, especially were always a huge example to me in doing what's right no matter what the crowd was doing and knowing exactly who you were and what you wanted to become.

Kimberly said...

I guess I'm not the only one who feels this post has sung to them. I was a band "geek" in high school yet I found the ones labeled "geeks" or "Different" were the more interesting people and still are today. Thanks for this post:)