Wednesday, January 19, 2011

9 days



A couple of nights ago, Cody asked me what I think about as I fall asleep. And while in the past I could have answered that I dream up stories that involve cowboys and Indians, recently my twilight thoughts have been more of the non-fiction type. I have been thinking about my life and my story. I am about to turn 30 in 9 days and as I reflect on how fast the last 30 years have flown by, all the people I have met, the places I have been, and who I have become, I just can't help but be struck by how much fun it has all been. I have thoroughly enjoyed every stage of my life, and I always tend to enjoy each stage more than the last. I am excited for my 30s. It will be the decade where my kids really grow up (and can finally play board games, like Balderdash, Pictionary, and Cranium with me), where Cody and I will see even more of the world (that's a guarantee since we are in the Navy), and maybe, just maybe, I will stop sounding like such an idiot when I leave messages on phones (actually, I am not holding my breath for that one). It will be a little sad to say goodbye to my 20s, because they have been my favorite decade so far, littered with so many good things, fun things, and great people. But like I said, every stage has been better than the last.

So even though I feel a might silly about it, I want to jaunt down some of those random memories I have been thinking about, mostly for my sake. I love the role of memory-keeper that my blog has become for me (and one day for my kids), so you'll just have to bear with me as I write a little bit about the story of my life.

After all, that is the subtitle of my blog.



And just because my mom didn't think the picture of Luke's bum was adequate, I have included a picture of his face.

9 comments:

PRP said...

30 in 9 days??? you're a young pup.

And while your 20s have been a blast, they will pale in comparison to your 30s. Be prepared to know yourself, get yourself and let a lot of stuff go, just go. It's a great time.

Anonymous said...

Crap. You are old

tharker said...

The 30's...for me

* so much better than the 20's

* i learned to embrace who i was, and not what i thought others wanted me to be

* when i finally stopped caring so much about what everyone thought of me, what i said, what i wore, etc. (in short, i feel liberated!)

* i like myself more now than at any point in my life so far

* i finally let go of all of those silly insecurities that i held on to since teeange-hood (not a word, i know)

* my kids are older and teach me constantly about the kind of mother i want to be

* i don't feel old! (when i was a teenager, or even in my young 20's i really thought the 30's were so old. i was pleasantly surprised)

* it pretty much rocks!

Oh, and this picture of Luke...seriously! When did he become a big boy and lose his baby face? He is so handsome. It kind of makes me want to cry thinking that I won't see him until August...

tharker said...

One more thing.

I still can't leave a message on the phone without sounding like an idiot. I guess there really are some things that never change ;)

Liz said...

I can't wait! Some of the memories that induce the most chuckling, for me, come from the college years, in which you (at least for one year) feature prominently. Like the time we were engaged in one of our rambling walks up 9th East and you got shot. Or the time when we embraced total freedom in the hilltops above Provo. Or the time Courtney schooled us all and we couldn't look at our back massager the same anymore.

Huh. I need to go read my old college journals. I need a good laugh right now. :D

Amy said...

so far 30 has been a bit rough for me, but I don't think it has anything to do with my age. Happy Birthday!

Shells said...

I didn't like turning 30, I felt old. However, when I turned 31, I felt so young. I have a whole 9 years until I'm 40. :)

Michelle

Y's creations said...

Thanks for posting the picture! He is looking so grown-up. He is so cute.

Laurie said...

Wow, you are old! Just kidding. Some people have issues with turning 30 but I have to say, I feel like I am at a great age and that I am comfortable with it. Although once I hit 31, I have a hard time remembering how old I am. Seriously.