Thursday, April 08, 2010

Layers of Crap

Yesterday was a bad day. A very bad day. It wasn't just one thing, or even two things that were bad. It was layer upon layer of crappy things that built up to make one big crappy pile of a day.

First I would like to clarify that I would normally characterize myself as a happy person, somewhat of an optimist, willing to see the positive in most things. I generally see the cup as half full. Except for when I am hot. Then, everything in the world is so much worse. I am sad, everything seems overwhelming and futile, and I don't care how full the cup is because it doesn't change that fact that I am hot.

Yesterday it was 90 degrees here. Which some of you might think isn't all that hot, but to me 90 is hot, much too hot for April 7. In fact, in the midst of my heat depression, I weather.comed Phoenix to make me feel better. Because, even though those smug tan Arizonians in Phoenix are always bragging about how perfectly 70 degrees it is during the winter time ("oh, it's Christmas and I am outside wearing shorts!"), it just makes me feel better knowing that they have to live in the heat of hell during the summers. Surely it is hotter in Phoenix than it is here. Nope. It was a perfect 72 degrees. Smug Arizonians.

To make the heat worse, like 1000 times worse, our AC is broken, again, for the sixth time this year. Frustrating. . . and hot. Our upstairs was a nice and toasty 85 degrees.

You know what is worse that a hot house? Putting jeans on in a hot house. And you know what is worse than that? Putting freshly laundered jeans on, when they have shrunken down to their actual size, so they are too tight. Too tight because I still am chubby with baby weight and I may or may not have pigged out on cookies the day before (and the day before that). Because it has been hot and I have been in a heat-induced depression so I turn to the only comfort that I have. . . no-bake cookies and Swedish fish.

So there I was, wearing pants that were tight, doing squats to stretch them out, hating the world more and more every constraining step I took (I really hate wearing tight pants)and did I mention I was hot? I was seriously near tears. And it was only ten in the morning.

By eleven I was on the road, kids in tow, on our way to Costco to get some much needed supplies. This is when I get the phone call that puts me in tears, just not right at that moment. I waited until I was standing in the middle of Costco before I randomly burst into tears. The phone call was Cody informing me that the owners of our house had scheduled a showing for that day at four o'clock. Super major bummer. I am not the type that keeps the entire house spotless at any random time. I am the type that has messy closets. So I completed my shopping, hurried home, made a mad sprint-dash clean of the house, shouting at my kids "don't make a mess, don't make a mess" all the while. Plus, it was a very, very hot house. No a/c. So I was a little grouchy.

At one point, I had put random things in a box to be taken upstairs. Claire and Morgan come downstairs and decide to dump the box out and spread all that stuff around again. When I saw it, all the layers of crap came to their culmination and it all hit the fan. I stomped and yelled, threw a major mommy fit, and put those kids squarely in time out. Usually when I put the kids in time out, they whine and cry all the way there. I was so monstrous that I think I scared the crap out of them. They both went and sat in their respective time out without saying a word. Morgan just sat there looking at me with wide eyes, a bit shell-shocked.

Anyways, after four hours of cleaning, mopping, lifting heavy things up into the attic, a very sweaty and grouchy me loaded up the girls and Luke into the van to hang out at McDonald's to wait out the showing. About a half an hour later, Cody calls me to inform me that nobody was coming. They took too long looking at other houses and decided to reschedule our showing. Blech!

I complained about 400 times yesterday that I was hot. Cody finally said to me, "You know, I don't think you could have cut it as a pioneer."

Of course I could have cut it as a pioneer. I just would have complained a lot.

Some things I feel need some clarification:
* I don't think Arizonians are smug. Okay, maybe a little during the winter.

* I don't think it's okay to throw mommy temper tantrums and yell at my kids. I apologized to them for overreacting, but they still had to sit in time out for dumping the box out.

* I don't like being hot.

19 comments:

Shells said...

We must be related.

Shells said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monica said...

I think I am related too. Is it bad that I laughed through most of this? Does that make you feel warm-n-fuzzy or offended? And at least your house is all clean. Hopefully they will reschedule sooner rather than later. And what is it with no-bake cookies? Some days I wish I had Lance's single serving recipe.

tharker said...

Wait! Lance has a single serving recipe of No Bakes?! I NEED that!

I'm like Monica. I laughed while reading this too. Does that make me a bad sister in law? Only because I turn into a monster when I'm hot too.

Oh, and I threw a major mommy tantrum yesterday, and then had to apologize to Josh for being so awful.

I wonder what the weather will be like in a couple of weeks when I'm there...

fly's said...

I too got a good chuckle out of this Brooke, why?? Because my A.C. has also been out for 2 days and I HATE to be HOT! And, I hate to put on jeans/pants/capris when they just come out of the dryer while I am HOT. So today I took Wyatt and a friend to see a movie and throughly enjoyed my bag of Sweedish fish all.by.myself.

P.S. I hope today was better for you:)

Libby said...

oh i love you brooke! i miss you! sorry for the crapy day- wish i could have been there to help. just one question- why didn't you take the jeans off and put something else on? jeans in hot weather is bad enough but tight freshly laundered jeans- horrible!

by the way- have you found a place it al yet? my friend there said to have you call or email her and she would love to help you out. sorry i have been meaning to give you this info for a while! they are actually just finishing there residency and selling their house if you are interested in buying. let me know.

Heather said...

Why in the world are you wearing jeans if it's 90? And... i hate when people don't show up when you've cleaned just for them!! UGH!

Jessica said...

oh, I am soooo with you on this. Most people loooove SoCal, but most of the time I hate it. It's too hot! Hot = bad in my world.

I'm glad you made it through the day. Also, this might make you feel better: one of my professors mentioned a study that showed that expressed frustration or other negative feelings actually decreases the intensity of the feelings. See! You did a good thing by getting all that out on this here blog!

libby said...

Oh, how I love you. So, so much.

I'm so sorry they didn't show. That has happened to me twice in the last week. Ugh. Next time you'll have to throw no bake cookies at them (that's what I dream of doing). I think they'll like that.

Arizonians are smug. And I'm about to become one. Hopefully I can ditch the smugness. :)

Laurie said...

Ugh. Sorry for the bummer day. I also do not like being hot. Sweating makes me grumpy...

The Karrens said...

I have messy closets too...and have apparently handed that down to my daughters. They cleaned their room this week in 20 minutes...which was amazing, until I realized they had thrown it all in the closet till it was full (and it is a big closet).
And I feel the same as you...but about the cold. If it is overcast, I can't get dressed... I need to sleep. I feel no need to function in cold dreary weather. I have often said...and Ben agrees...I would have been a HORRIBLE pioneer. BTW...wanna send some no-bake cookies and swedish fish this way? haha

Elise said...

I have to agree with Libby- I would've ditched the jeans. I spent the better part of my post baby summer in gauchos. Like everyday, now I hate gauchos so maybe it was a bad idea. Anyway, that sounds like a really, really, really crappy day. And I think that you're allowed to have a mommy tantrum. And I agree that Arizonians are a little smug, I lived one Las Vegas summer and I thought I was going to die. The avg. temp was 115, hot enough to melt a flip flop Dave accidentally left outside.

Rachel said...

why on earth were you wearing jeans? I Love the heat except the night I met you & your house was easily a million degrees and a left sweaty foot prints all over your new house. My hope for you would be that Cody will find a nice practice in Washington State, Cody can fish & you can freeze. wouldn't it be nice.

Kimo said...

I was dying in the heat here, and it was only 80 degrees. Of course, I was smart enough to ditch the jeans and wear a nice breezy skirt... I'm just sayin'.

Sorry you had such a crappy day.

Anonymous said...

move to Idaho. It snowed 5 inches on tuesday and they closed all the schools

Bethany said...

Your so normal. It makes me feel a little more normal listening to you.
I don't feel hot here, but I have before and it isn't fun because you can't get aways from it no matter how hard you try.

And cleaning a house to show sucks...especially in short notice. Yes, people like us LIVE in our house.

Thanks for the normal check. I needed it.

Amy said...

having your house on the market is no fun :(
I'm glad we have returned to spring around here again... those days of the 90's were too hot, too early!

Jana said...

I am laughing still at the jeans. I don't even want to think about what is awaiting me in 5 weeks. TIGHT CLOTHES!!!!! When will it end!!!? And here is where you are wrong. . . it is ok to yell at kids. And if you tell me otherwise, then you are telling me I am a horrible mother, and I just don't think I can take that right now, 36 weeks pregnant and thinking about getting some day care for my kids.

Anonymous said...

We need to find a summer place up in Alaska. I don't think it gets as hot there.