Monday, December 28, 2009

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

So there I was, standing in Wal-mart, unsuccessfully trying to fight back my tears. I could probably start many different stories from my life this this way, but this particular story is elevated above all the other ones, as it is pretty important. I had just dropped Claire off at school and I was grocery shopping, one last time before I was going to be put out of commission by the addition of one little boy to our family. For you see, I was six days overdue and I had an appointment to be induced on the seventh day over. I was completely fine with this plan. I mean, you may recall that I would much rather go into labor on my own rather than be induced, but my lazy body just didn't feel like it this time. I didn't mind being overdue. I still felt fine and was sleeping fairly well. The apprehension of delivery and subsequent sleepless nights always outweighs any minor physical discomfort I may have at nine months pregnant. My only concern was that I could tell that this baby was going to be pretty big. How big? I didn't know, but I was scared enough to allow them to schedule an induction date a week after I was due.

So as I was stocking up on groceries, I got a phone call from Cody. He had gone to talk to the doctors at the hospital who were in charge of my induction (because they were a little less than clear on the when I should show up at the hospital) and the doctor he talked to suggested that I come in this very morning to be induced instead, since I was scheduled for an evening induction the next day (meaning I would most likely be in the hospital for Thanksgiving). So Cody called me to see if that was what I wanted to do. So my reaction was simply to cry. I wasn't mentally prepared to have the baby that morning and I was a bit stressed about such a sudden change and the need for sudden decision making. So I handled it like an adult and I cried, in Wal-mart, in the cereal aisle. I did my best to hide it, because even though I was shopping at Wal-mart, I still have some dignity to keep intact.

My initial reaction was to tell Cody, "no way, Jose". I wasn't ready (which is kind of silly being that I had nine months and six days to get ready), but it was already all set in my mind that I was being induced the next day. After talking to Cody and considering our babysitting options, I decided it would be best to go in that morning. I had two hours from the time I was crying in the cereal aisle to finish shopping, take the groceries home, get Morgan and Claire's babysitting bags, drop Morgan off at the sitters, and get to the labor and delivery triage.



Cody and I arrived at labor and delivery a little after noon. Soon I was in a room, in a very revealing hospital gown, waiting for a doctor to get this show on the road. We waited for a while. Finally a doctor came to check on me, determined that I was dilated to a 6 even though I hadn't had any painful contractions yet, so I had hope that this induction would go fast. At about 1:30, they hooked me up to pitocin, had a parade of residents, nurses, and clowns come dance around in my room, and then I just waited. I wanted to feel some contractions before I got my epidural (because believe me, I was going to get an epidural!!), but after a while on the pitocin I having contractions, but they still weren't painful. I went ahead and got the epidural, because I didn't want to risk missing the point where I could get one.

Now I have had two previous deliveries, with two previously perfect epidurals. I just knew the epidural streak wouldn't last. The epidural only worked on the right half of my body. At about five o'clock, I was started to feel super strong contractions on my left side. Ouch. I kept pushing my epidural button but it was not getting any better. I knew I was close to delivering and I wanted the epidural fixed NOW! So the Anesthesiologist came, adjusted the epidural, and ten minutes later I was dilated to a 10 and ready to push. Thankfully the pain started to subside when I started to push.

Claire was a six pound baby and I pushed for 30 minutes. Morgan was a seven pound baby and I pushed for 40 minutes. I thought, being that this baby was going to be bigger that it would take even longer to push. Nope, five minutes and he was out. All nine pounds two ounces of him. Needless to say, recovery was a bit tougher with this one.

But at 5:38 pm, we had a beautiful baby boy, whom we named Luke James. He is now over a month old and is such a good baby. He is growing like a weed, a big fat weed. He weighed 11 lbs 5 oz at his two week appointment and has grown a ton since then. We love having this little boy and are enjoying watching him grow and develop.



Well, to make a long story short (too late), that is our labor and delivery story.

23 comments:

::lindsay said...

Thanks for sharing your delivery story. He is just beautiful Brooke. I'm so happy for you and your family.

Amy said...

I feel you on this in SO many ways! Being unprepared for a quick induction, crying about it, pushing for 5 minutes and only feeling the epidural on one side... except they told me it could NOT be fixed... what the heck!? How did they fix yours!? So happy he is here and healthy, he is truly beautiful! Love your story.

Gina said...

Musing #1: I have been waiting for this post for ages! I am also dying to talk to you about how the kids are doing and how 3 is, etc.
Musing #2: I can't believe how awesome you look on the day of delivery! I'd never guess that over 9 pounds could fit in there!
Musing #3: Glad he is staying chunky and healthy. He is a doll and I love Elise's blanket in the background!

Congrats Brooklet! You did awesome.

P.S. Musing: Don't freak me out about 9 lb. babies and non-working epidurals when I am 2 months out! Yikes!

Rachel said...

good job!! you posted the story I was waiting for. :) I feel your pain. big babies hurt. I think he is just as handsome as can be. I can't believe how big he is already.

J-Leav said...

You are a machine! Grocery shopping 6 days overdue? That's awesome! I'm waiting to have my second child until I can afford servants :)

Mike Harker said...

why do double chins on babies look sooo cute but not so attractive on adults? I want an answer!!

5dollarFanatic said...

This was so me with my 3rd too-I am not sure what it is about the bigger babies wanting to stay in mommies tummy longer than necessary, but they do. I am really hoping this next one decides to come on his/her own. Luke is so sweet-I bet you are happy to have a little man around the house to even out the drama a bit. Enjoy!

tharker said...

Well, your long story was still 9 paragraphs shorter than mine, so I would say that you succeeded in making your long story short ;)

I'm so glad you shared your birth story. I still can't believe that you were a 6 when you walked into the hospital. That is truly impressive!

Luke is so gorgeous! I love this picture. Do we really have to wait until possibly this spring to hold each other's babies? What if it's summer? They'll just crawl away from us and we won't even be able to snuggle them. That's it. I'm coming to VA now! Okay, not really, but I would totally love it if I could!

As for Mike's question, I'd also like to add the age old quandry of why are rubber band wrists and rolly-polly thighs not only perfectly acceptable, but adored on babies, yet not so much on adults? Not fair I tell ya!

Brooklet said...

Because chubbs on babies are healthy, chubbs on adults, not so healthy.

Sketchy said...

Oh Brooke congratulations! He's beautiful.

Elise said...

Wow he's adorable!! I think that hysterical crying at any point in pregnancy is acceptable, especially when your 1)overdue 2)considering the very moment you have to give birth and 3) in wal-mart, no one cares there. I'm glad you finally put up the story and my oh my what an adorable blanket!!:)

D.J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
libby said...

I've been waiting for this exact post, and I was not dissapointed. And, I'm totally jealous they let clowns come dance in your room. Totally unfair!!

He's beautiful. I hope you're getting more sleep than you thought you would, and here's to big babies! Woot!

Y's creations said...

In this picture, I thinks that he looks a lot like Claire. He has changed since I was there. He is still growing fast!!

tharker said...

I agree with your mom, he does look like Claire in this picture. I can't wait to watch him grow! (in pictures, that is...so keep 'em comin!)

Jana said...

Finally what I have been waiting for. He really is so cute. And I love his little sweater outfit. It looks just like Noah's old one. Sadly, it fits your newborn. :) LOL!!

Shells said...

You cried hysterically in the wrong place. YOu're supposed to cry hysterically in the doctors office, a week before your due date, so that he/she will feel bad and induce you. It worked for me. I also cried hysterically in my doctor's office when I was 6 months along after waiting for an hour in the waiting room with Mike. After that, I never had to wait more than five minutes before the doctor would see me. You have to be more wise in your pregnancy meltdowns -- use them to your advantage.

I'm glad everything went well and that you now have a happy, healthy baby.

Bethany said...

I had problems with 2 epiderals. But I am still going to try on my next one in June. I have 6 months (or 5...not sure how they calculate it).
Your little Luke is adorable.
Happy New Year.

Laurie said...

oooowww, 9lbs., I can't even imagine. Congratulations, he is darling. I love the name. How is life with three? I have to admit, 2+ years later, I am still recovering. You look amazingly small for carrying a 9lb baby! I can't wait to have a new baby in our house.

Pitcherpost said...

I can't believe Luke is over a month old and I found out your labor story from your blog! I've been meaning to call you! I'm a bad friend! I'm glad they fixed your epidural! I better get a good one! Ok, I need to slow down on the exclamations. Your family is so cute and I can't wait to meet Luke one day! And yes, I have never seen you look full term, even at 6 days over your due date, no fair!

PRP said...

I think I would have reacted exactly the same.

He's beautiful. Enjoy every second!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, it not absolutely that is necessary for me. There are other variants?

Anonymous said...

Curiously....