Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Heavy Lead Apron

This is kinda a weird post. It's kinda a ranting and raving kinda post, that uses the psuedo-word 'kinda' multiple times in it's opening paragraph. The rant is about me, in case you are worried I was going to rant about you, or skinny jeans. I need to lay this out on the table, because it has been bothering me for a long time (so have skinny jeans, but I promise this post isn't about that).

Judgmental people are annoying.

I am judgmental.

I tend to have way to many opinions that really don't need to be shared, but that I let slip out anyways, and cast my heavy lead apron (you know, like at the dentist office; I love the way those feel) of judgment over anyone who happens to be standing near me.

The problem with being judgmental is
A.) I don't know everything. (shocking, I know)
B.) Some things that I thought I knew the what-what about come back to bite me in the butt (like how I use to view moms that had screaming kids in the grocery store; i take that one back, way back).
C.) It is okay for people to view things different than me. If you want to get engaged after a week of knowing a guy- fine. That's your choice. You don't need me spouting my opinion off because it's none of my business.
D.) Listening to people be judgmental hurts everyone involved. Even if you aren't the one they are being judgmental about, you start to think of the things that this person probably judges you about when you aren't around.

This is how I think; this is what keeps weighing on my mind. Why can't I shut my mouth and be more respectful? So narrow-minded, so snotty. I don't want to be this way. There isn't much greater torture to me than knowing I have hurt some one's feelings. I have already made one teary-eyed phone call begging for forgiveness this year, I don't want to have to do that anymore. It must stop. Because I really don't like judgmental people.

15 comments:

Shells said...

You're not alone. I'm the exact same way. Imagine that.

PRP said...

Were you being sarcastic about loving the feeling of the heavy lead apron? Cause I actually do LOVE that feeling. So weird.

Anyhoo, I think what you are my dear is human, not judgmental. Everyone has their stuff to work on and it's great that you want to be better about this but really? In the stack of people who are really, really great, I'd say you're quite near the top.

And don't even get me started on skinny jeans....you're right to be judgmental about those suckers.

Jana said...

I have nothing to add. I agree. I am super judgmental and your post made me feel guilty. :) Thanks a lot. :)

Rachel said...

you sure this post isn't about me?? I was feeling totally guilty the whole time.

Stacia said...

I am the same way. Judgmental and hate it, then wonder if others judge me. And I find I am most judgmental about the things that I have worked the hardest on. So I hate when it seems others don't work on those things.

Skinny jeans on men, blech!

Libby said...

so you don't like me? you are a much better person than me bc you atleast feel guilty after. i don't so much. and your opinions certainly don't bother me- even when they are different than mine. i enjoy it. i am going to seriously miss when we all get together and get into deep opinionated conversations!!

Brooklet said...

I am not saying that being opinionated is being judgmental- I like hearing and having differing opinions, its just when I insist that my opinion is the guide by which others must live that I become judgmental.

tharker said...

Our thoughts on skinny jeans are one in the same.

I have nothing better to say than what Karen said. She totally stole my thoughts!! Just kidding.

Heather said...

Crap what have you been saying about me all this time?

At least I don't have skinny jeans, so I'm clear of that mockery.

Michele said...

There are so many worse things to be...but I too would rather stick a needle in my eye than hurt someone else's feelings...so I know what you mean. Trust me...now that you are aware and want to stop you will...it may take more than a week but it will happen. (at least that is what I keep telling myself) Props to you for even being aware!

Liz said...

I'm doomed. :0) By these standards, I am the most judgmental person I know.

I love you, Brooke! I think you are hilarious and awesome. The thing is, there is right and wrong in this life. If what you're telling someone is that they have to love blue over red . . . because you do . . . then you're judgmental, but if you're telling someone that drunk driving is bad and there is never, ever a good time for it, then I don't think that's being judgmental. In that case, you're right! Black and white still exist. Wrong and right still exist. Good and bad still exist even when people are too afraid to stand up and acknowledge which is which. Now, I wouldn't come to blows with a friend over "stuff" (unless they start it . . . and claim they like a good debate . . . ha ha ha!), but I am a huge fan of standing up for what is true and right and good, no matter what that does to your popularity (and yes, much to my own surprise even, I still have friends!). :0)

I could go on and on, but I really have no idea what brought on this confessional and maybe it was the "blue over red" thing. :0) (just kidding . . . I know you're not petty with your opinions).

P.S. I hate skinny jeans. Hate them.

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

(Sorry, the deleted comment above was me just blabbering away and, in the end, I realized it had no bearing on this post. I carry my soapbox with me from blog to blog.) :0)

Anonymous said...

I need to hear about your teary phone call this year, I'm curious. I think we all have moments of being judgmental and there's a fine line between judgement and just sharing an opinion. It's good to have opinions, how boring would we all be if we didn't! And I don't think of you as judgmental at all.

Kimo said...

I'm still waiting for my phone call . . . the teary-er the better! Ha - just kidding! I am sure we are all guilty of being judgmental sometimes - it is just human nature. Don't be too hard on yourself.