Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Jan requested I post some pics of my home. Here is the only picture I have of it. It is a picture from two years ago- our first spring here in PA. We had just dug out the shrubs planted on our front hill and put in ivy. As you can see, the ivy was still small. So was Claire. She had just turned two in that picture.



This is a typical home for our area, old, brick, and really small. But to us it is our little slice of heaven. It is our first home. Though we curse its smallness, lack of closet space, no a/c, and its general falling-apartness, it will always have that distinction and charm of being our first house. Therefore it is romantic. It was built in 1931. I love to imagine the first people who built the house, and how excited they were to be moving into something so new, so grand. Maybe it was their first house also. There is a cold storage room in the basement that use to be the coal room. You can see where they patched up foundation of the slot where the coal was dumped into the room. There is also a random toilet in our basement, set in a stall with no door. This is from back in the day, when the men would come home from the mills, so dirty, that they had to come in and get cleaned up in the basement before they could go upstairs.

Our home was newly remodeled when we bought it, so we haven't done much to the indoors. But the yard was a mess. It had just been neglected for years. It was mostly weeds and decrepit cement blocks. We had a good time fixing it up and landscaping it.


Here is last years flower garden. I have learned a lot about what grows here, how difficult it is working with clay for soil, and what plants I like and the ones I never want to plant again.

Here are the steps and the retaining wall that we put in. I also leveled half of the yard because it was on a slope. Everything in our town is on a slope. We supposedly have steepest street in the world in our neighborhood. Supposedly.

For those who don't know Jan, she is one of the funniest people you will ever meet. She is just so happy to be around, and she is extremely kind. When I was 11, they divided the ward that I had been in my whole life, with all my friends in it. We were one of the few families who were moved to a different ward. I was heartbroken. Jan was my Merry Miss teacher. There was only one other in my class, and I felt pretty lonely. But Jan was incredible. She reached out to me and made me feel like I was her friend. She will give you the shirt off her back if you needed it. Literally. I remember she had a white jean jacket she let me use once for an activity, and she told me after I was done, that I could keep it, since I liked it. That means a lot to an 11 year old .
After that she was called to Young Women's, where she rocked! Me and my sisters still talk about the activity where she planned all the prizes- salt n pepper tape (piece of tape with salt and pepper on it), trip to see the stars (a walk outside, and look up), etc. She made everything so fun, so creative. She is amazing. She is one of the many people who made that ward AWESOME. I loved my time in that ward and I know Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he put our family there. It was a blessing for each and everyone of us. And it still continues to be a blessing for me to keep in touch with someone as wonderful as Jan.

14 comments:

tharker said...

Your yard looks so beautiful Brooke. I wish I could come and see your house, but ya know...that 3,000 mile distance between us...

I would have loved to have had Jan for a YW leader. She is awesome!

Jan said...

Brooke, I would so trade houses. I love the brick and the charm of your 1931 home. And your yard is beautiful. I understand about the small closets and falling apart. I am needed less space now and falling apart too, so we would get along fine. Thanks for posting your home. I love seeing where you live.

About all those nice things, that was not part of the deal here. I had forgotten about the white jacket. Thats was fun to remember. I love you Brooke. I have always thought you were an amazing young lady that was really solid in your beliefs and yet a total blast. I cherish our time together and I will consider it some of my best years for sure. I can't remember a happier time. So much fun. Thanks again Brooke.

Heather said...

Wow, I wish I could give an 11 year old something of mine and have it fit! Right now they'd swim in it.

I like your house!! Very cute and "Eastcoastish".

Rachel said...

I want a Jan. Giving out white jean jackets for free. So nice. I love your little slice of heaven. I miss walking by there and seeing you guys out there working on the yard. Claire spinning around or exploring some bugs. She was born to be outdoors. I am sure she loves what you've done to the place.

Gina said...

Quite the shout out to Jan! You are teasing us because none of us will ever get to meet her! She sounds great though. Out homes are very similar...only your landscaping is AMAZING compared to ours! I need some serious help with the grass! I'll be calling you.

Anonymous said...

Little Claire! I remember her! I complain about wanting to live in a new big house, but, I know I will be sad to leave this one and all the huge memories it contains. Only one year left, I'm actually really sad! You've done a great jobe with your yard btw.

Oh and supposedly the steepest street in the world? Honey, it's true!

Cara said...

I'm totally impressed with your lawn and garden skills. :) Oh, and the steepest hill in the world is totally in your neighborhood. We've looked it up online and read about it and then driven it a few times. It's nuts!!!

It's amazing what an impact a leader/teacher can have on youth. We are so impressionable when we are young. Glad you had a "Jan" to look up to. I had some too. :)

Laurie said...

Cool house! And your yard looks great, I love seeing where everyone lives!

Kelsey said...

Your house is awesome with all its unique charm. Claire's hair is growing nicely I see.

Radene said...

That is a great picture of Claire. Beautiful.

::lindsay said...

I love your house! I agree with the others, your yard is great!

Jana said...

Yep, I think we will miss these old falling apart homes. I do love the "our first home" feeling. I agree. It will always be special. And you did a great job on your back yard. Perfect for your Claire to flitter and dance around. :) (Is flitter a word?)

Wendi said...

Your yard is incredible! I love what you've done with it.

Michele said...

Wow you did a very nice job with the curb appeal and the landscaping in your backyard...how much do you charge for help? I am totally retarded when it comes to the outdoors!