Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Slight Detour

Claire gave her first talk in primary last Sunday. I was really, shall we say, interested to see how she would do up in front of everyone. She loves the microphone, and absolutely does NOT suffer from any sort of stage fright. My big concern was wondering if she would really say her talk or start talking about red-eye tree frogs or something random like that. She had three pictures to hold up, with the words written on the back for me to read them to Claire and have Claire repeat. I tried practicing with her on Saturday. Apparently she doesn't get the concept of repeat after me. I kept asking her to repeat after me, but she would try to say it exactly at the same time as me or she would just add on an extremely entertaining tangent everytime I said something.

So then came Sunday. She was very excited to be giving a talk, and she stands up to the pulpit takes her picture, puts it down and starts moving her fingers along with the words, pretending like she is reading it. I just let her go on her own, and she did a pretty decent job staying on target. Well, 'decent' is relative. Here is basically how it went:


"When we drive in our cars, we have to follow the signs which tell us where to go or we might get lost and crash and get hurt and die. (those extra gory details were hers)

When we drive in our cars, we have to follow the signs to be safe. Red means go, Green means stop. We have to follow the signs or we crash and die. (again, her)

The scriptures tell us stories about the way to get to the children's museum.

(this is where I interrupt to help her correctly finish her talk- she thankfully repeated after me)

The scriptures tell us stories that teach us the right way to go and help us to be safe and happy. I love the scriptures. "


That was the jist, almost word for word what she said. Our microphone in primary isn't working, so only me, and maybe the first row heard her talk, but I was pretty proud of her (after all, there was only one slight detour to the children's museum, but other than that she stayed pretty focused) .

I love sunbeam talks; they are always good chuckle for me, and we have 10 more sunbeams to look forward to! Viva la primary!

18 comments:

tharker said...

Don't the scriptures tell us how to get to the Children's Museum? Darn it!

Great job Claire!

Laurie said...

Awesome talk, Claire. I love it.

Liz said...

That's great! I like Claire's version. Can she give me the scripture reference where the directions to the children's museum are written?

Soren is giving a talk this Sunday coming up. It will be his first. I, too, am excited to find out how he'll do. My guess is...he'll probably freeze and I'll end up doing the talk. Oh well. It's still good practice. :)

Jessica said...

Decent? Decent? Come on mom, give the girl some credit. Kate, after practicing at home several times by standing on the coffee table, jumped up a few weeks ago from her chair in primary and I met her at the podium. The microphone was working. That was a problem. See, there was no microphone at home and there weren't 30 kids starring at her. She took one look out into the crowd and that was it. She was frozen. I sympathetically scratched her back and read her talk to the kiddos. She takes after her daddy...So, I think Claire did a fabulous job! Tremendous! Wonderful! Stupendous! Way to go Claire!

Jan said...

Primary talks are the best. It is where we learn the most I think. Claire should make you proud.

Libby said...

oh, i love it! claire, like you, can always make me have a good lol! oh how i wish i were there to hear it in person! i love the children's museum addition! i sure do miss primary!

Heather said...

Well, the scriptures talk a lot of death and gory subjects so I think she was right on target. How fun!

Michele said...

Sounds like vintage Claire...you are so blessed to have that sweet ball of energy in your family...I miss hanging with her on Sundays.

Wendi said...

Thats awesome! Shannon did "Show and Tell" in primary last Sunday. It was pretty fun too.

Pitcherpost said...

Cute, I know I would have been laughing to the point of tears. I think you've done a good job of impressing her with the damage that cars can do, hey if it keeps her out of the streets!

Amy said...

Oh I wish I could have been there to see it first hand. I love sunbeam talks too! Sounds like she did a great job. I love that she made her talk "her own".

::lindsay said...

Love it! Claire's a hoot!

Unknown said...

I loved it! That was the best talk I have heard all year! She was so cute following the words with her finger. Cody had a huge smile on his face. So cute!

Jana said...

I am going to see if she will do it again. I want to see that girl first hand!!! I am in a need for some laughs. Please bring her over. :) And I am already nervous for Jackson's turn. You know how I get. Stage fright!! :) Good thing it will be him talking.

Cara said...

Oh, I'm so glad you wrote that down. I could tell it was adorable, I just couldn't hear it in the back. We need to get that microphone fixed for the sole reason of Sunbeam talks.

On a side note, when my kids talk about getting in a crash or getting hit by a car, instead of saying they might die, they say they might break their teeth. That's the worst thing they can think of. :) I guess that's what happens when your dad is a dentist. :)

Laurie said...

by the way brooklet, i was perusing your book list because reading is my favorite (and only hobby) and realized that I love almost all of those books. Esp. These is my words, that is one of my most favorite. I had never read any of Shannon Hale's books, but I read Princess Acadamy last night and I loved it. Thanks for the tip.

Stacee said...

Kids are so cute. Kids just say the cutest things.

elenapena said...

Oh I can't wait till Viktor is in primary. I can't wait for everything. Being a parent is the best! :)